1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Neat and tidy and was constantly encouraging the young boys when they made a mistake.

Much more he’s capable of when we get better quality around him.

3. mayo

Thought he could of played it a couple of times instead of shooting

4. Maestro 08

Genuinely thought he was superb. Get some more quality around him and he will be a stand out this season. For me you can tell he's got the bit between his teeth. Desperate to justify his captaincy.

Born green, Damnati and martin_d like this.
  5. Damnati

He was OK but I just expect a lot from him. Thought he gave the ball away more than usual.

Also think there were a couple of better candidates for MOTM, it seemed like it was a gesture to the new captain.

6. Born green

It was sooo good to see him chasing down balls, marking, tackling, getting forward, making positive passes and shooting.

I've been so frustrated by his passive nature the last couple of years. I don't know if it's the boost he's gotten from the Euros, a new manager, or the captaincy (or all 3) but whatever it is, long may it continue. I've always known he was capable of this. Absolutely brilliant to see.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Hes not one too take the ball on a run himself, he's more of a silky, turn into space to transition the ball perfectly into cracking fullbacks bombing up the wing. All he needs is those players signed :56:

8. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    We had the Cal Mac of Old last night and it’s a very welcomed addition again.

He showed being a leader and captain to the whole team last night! Absolutely brilliant performance last night.

9. Mr Cleansheets

Wouldn't call hime MOTM (only seen highlights tbf) but thought he was fantastic in his position.

He plays like that every week and encourages those around him, he'll just about be player of the year.

Which is always what you want from your captain.

10. Heb Celt

Thought he had a great game,just need a good team built around him now,no more dithering from this inept board.

11. JamesM09

I thought he has a great game too. Apart from playing well he gave others a platform to play too.

Didn’t he hit the bar too?

12. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    This is exactly how I see McGregor other than under Rodgers were he was on another level. Neat, tidy & keeps the game ticking over.

TBH I did think he had a good game lastnight trying to push the team forward & getting us up the park at every opportunity. Hope Ange can get him playing the way he was under Rodgers.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Still think Calmac’s best season for us wasn’t under Rodgers, was under Lennon. The 9 season he scored 14 odds and was running absolute riot, if that season wasn’t cancelled early he’d have been near 20 for the season I’m convinced of that. He was immense.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Callum McGregor said Celtic’s dominant performance against FC Midtjylland was a good starting point and insisted they would build on it to finish the job in next week’s return leg.

Ange Postecoglou’s first competitive game in charge gave fans plenty to be excited about as Celtic impressed throughout the 90 minutes in last night’s (Tuesday) 1-1 draw against Midtjylland at Paradise.

Celtic largely dominated the game and deservedly took the lead in the 38th minute thanks to a debut goal from new Bhoy Liel Abada. The Danish side snatched an equaliser, however, when they capitalised on a free-kick in the second half.

The scoreline did not reflect Celtic’s dominance in a game where Ange Postecoglou’s side had almost two-thirds of possession and registered 16 shots to Midtjylland’s three.

McGregor said Celtic’s display was deserving of a win but acknowledged the fine margins that define games at the Champions League qualifying level.

'We had chances in the game to win it so it’s a little bit disappointing that we never got the result we wanted, but we’re still in the tie and we have another leg to do the business.'

“The boys gave everything,” he said. "Football at this level is fine margins. We spoke before the game that it might be from a set-piece and that was the difference that allowed them back into the game. We largely controlled the game and I thought we were the better team but it’s about fine margins at this level.”

The game marked McGregor’s first outing as captain in a competitive since Ange Postecoglou named him as the new Celtic captain. The 28-year-old led the team out in front of 9,000 Celtic fans and was full of praise for their support throughout the game.

“Absolutely amazing,” said McGregor when asked how it felt to captain Celtic and have some fans back. “What an honour to run out wearing the armband and have 9,000 fans back in. They made a * of a noise and backed the team unbelievably.”

McGregor admitted he was disappointed not to have given the fans a win but he was confident the Bhoys could come out on top after next week’s return leg in Denmark.

“We were just a little disappointed we couldn’t get the win but I thought everyone deserved it,” he said. “It’s a good starting point for us because the boys gave everything, there was enough quality there and we controlled the game. We’ll take that into next week and finish the job.”

15. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Its a matter of perception. You might look for something that another doesnt.

for me, its taking the responsibility of making sure others reach the standard on and off the pitch.

My initial point, before the outrage, was that i was underwhelmed at the appointment and i think iv justified my reasons why.

Regardless now, im behind mcgregor and I hope he can grow into the role.

16. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Looks like he was trying so hard to keep in a smile :giggle1:

And his wee Broony jump, * love it. The bhoy must be buzzing to now be the main man, am right behind the wee hunskelping * :ynwacelti

17. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Didn't think he was MOTM, but thought he had a rare game.

18. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    One of his better games for us in a long time. Motd?.. possibly, Welsh and Turnbull where up there for me aswell so wouldn't really argue if any of those got it.

The67Sound likes this.
  19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Motd? No for me, unless Leicester come calling again..

The67Sound likes this.
  20. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Hopefully the armband gives him an extra bit of hunger again. He definitely dipped a bit, but looked more like himself last night.

Rydo1888* and packybhoy like this.