1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Nah, disagree that he’s a legend. No doubt his trophy collection is phenomenal and he has been a very good player for us, for the most part. But I wouldn’t consider him to be a legend.

Brown aside, I wouldn’t say anyone in our current squad or over the last few years (Lustig, Tierney etc) is a legend.

I know people bat it off as “that’s just a hun excuse”. But this period of complete domestic dominance was achieved with very little competition for the majority of it. Aberdeen were the second best team in the country for much of it. A team who can’t get remotely close to qualifying for the EL.

The quadruple treble is a fantastic achievement and won’t be repeated. But we had it easy in the league for a number of years and we’ve done * all in Europe in almost a decade now.

If he stays here for another few years, wins more titles and cups, helps us to achieve more in Europe then it’s a different story. But as it stands, nah not for me.

It’s a cliché that the word “legend” gets thrown about too often. But it’s true. If a football club has countless legends then it dilutes the status.

2. Jeffrey

Callum McGregor, Tommy Burns, Henrik Larsson and the Lisbon Lions are the legends of this club, no doubt.

3. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Would like to see him play under a good manager again, see if he can get back to the level he was at under Rodgers.

The_Bhoy and AdamRS like this.
  4. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    It's a tough one isn't it, I recall back when KT left there was a lot of talk that he wanted to go then too, of course that might have just been the Rangers tabloids trying to wind us up again, they apparently offered him that new contract so we didn't lose two of our best players at the time. If he gets offered the captains slot that might be enough to persuade him to stay if he is thinking of moving, but with a new manager coming in he might not have that choice so will decide to move on anyway. I like the lad a lot and think on his day he's a great player for us, I hope he stays

5. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

hes had to turn into a defensive mid because browns not been able to do the job he once used to be able to do and hes not very good at defensive work, he cant tackle and aint very strong on the ball

where he is good is passing possession and attacking, id love him to stay hes a quality player

The_Bhoy and AdamRS like this.
  6. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I think he’s my favourite current Celtic player, good technical ability and generally you can just tell he’s naturally good at football.

martin_d, The_Bhoy and Tommy25 like this.
  7. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Guy needs to up his game, been rank all season, even against Livi at the weekend, sure he combined well with Taylor and Mo at times but, as stated, good technical ability, naturally good footballer etc. etc. but he should have been running the show, pulling the strings. Is he inhibited by Brown-maybe. Is he filling the wrong role-maybe. Something just not right.

At the end of the day, I have been really disappointed with him this season. Because I know he has it in his locker.
    Its like somebody needs to unlock his potential, hes no kid, perfect age to be at the top of his game.

Lewis Kerr and Mince.Charming like this.
  8. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He’s an attacking midfielder thats getting made to sit back and baby sit brown

Tommy25, The_Bhoy and Dan Breen like this.
  9. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    This is the annoying thing. You see how quality he is with scotland when he has a great player like mctominay behind him that gives him the confidence to attack and play his actual preferred role. If anyone wants to rewatch the recent Scotland games you’ll see how much mcgregor is involved in every attacking move either creating space or picking the ball up and playing the passes or being part of a passing triangle. everyone agrees on he’s a naturally gifted technical player...and this is to his detriment because the morons in charge this year have asked him to play deep because of this

martin_d, Dan Breen and AdamRS like this.
  10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    McTominay plays RCB for Scotland

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

No one will ever convince me that Calmac is neither a captain nor a good player.

He will excel under a quality manager both in terms of his own play and his identity shining through as a leader, not a vein popping hard tackler but a sleek and composed class act.

He’s not been handled properly in terms of rest and tactics, he’s capable of much more than he’s being allowed to show IMO.

12. celtic warrior

If he leaves in the summer window, * *... The state of our defence and midfield would put off even Kennedy taking the role full time as manager.

Guys like him should be a model of a the modern technical players domestic Scottish clubs need to develop and improve on. If our youth set up gave us over the next 10 years 2 improved versions of McGregor and they had some crossover and played in our senior team for atleast 2 seasons together... We could challenge for europa league titles, assuming the rest of the squad around them had players akin to levels like Ajer and what we know Eddie could play at.

martin_d likes this.
  13. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    1 goal every 6 games.
    So far, 14 trophies.

14. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I’m about 50/50 in terms of his staying or going. Would love him to stay but I could see him wanting a new challenge, and looking at the success and global recognition that the likes of Tierney, Robertson and McGinn are receiving from playing down south and fancying some of that himself.

The rebuild that’s required this season is already massive, but losing McGregor as well would make it close to impossible to do in the space of a single window, imo. He’s not had his best season by any stretch, but under the right manager he’s the guy you would be looking towards to make us tick.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  15. celtic warrior

He would be a huge loss in any season, to lose him and Brown together at the same time is catastrophic.

I get Brown leaving is one fans accept and its debatable how replaceable he'd be as a name on the teemsheet, but to lose both our captains together would, make this rebuild impossible.

Because next to McGregor the only candidate left for captaincy is Ajer and he's likely gone as well.

It's an utter pipe dream on my part but of we could keep McGregor for a season, keep Ajer till Jan, get in a coaching team like Howe, we'd be able to win the league back.

The_Bhoy and Dan Breen like this.
  16. celtic warrior

That is ridiculous stats, for the length of time he's been here to still have really good numbers like that as a midfielder, tells you everything.

bagforlife and Liam Scales like this.
  17. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Hasn’t the last few games but point still stands about quality behind him haha!

martin_d likes this.
  18. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Mciniesta saves his goals for big games like against Bayern Munich, he leaves the diddy teams for tea cake.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Played there against The Faroes anyway.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The new coach should be buying a new captain..

This guy isn't it..

Passing the buck in that half. Nah..

Rydo1888* and Mince.Charming like this.