1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I never viewed him as a natural successor in the captains role. Fantastic player on his day but not a captain.

If Ajer was staying he'd be my choice but he won't.

2. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

He's a cracking player but he's been shocking this season, who hasn't but. Can cite mitigating circumstances, * management etc and everyone being basically awful. Never a captain or leader either, just look at the difference between him and Ajer who apparently wants away.
    Was great under Rodgers and I'm sure he would thrive again in a similar environment.

3. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I just don't buy this "mitigating circumstances", its the same dysfunctional team that the likes of Soro and Turnbull have come into and they have performed.
    Guy is a seasoned Pro, international player, not some 18year kid feeling his way.
    He has been awful this season, some schoolboy defending.
    Instead of mitigating circumstances, look at the players DNA. OK, so there is a * show going on all around, time to stand up and be counted.
    No doubt he is a decent player but lacks substance for me. Bit of a sunshine player.
    He should have been head and shoulders above most on the pitch against Hibs the other night, leading by example, taking care of the youngsters, instead, him and Rogic were rank.

kramer1, neilly1987 and Lewis Kerr like this.
  4. Lewis Kerr

This is my issue with McGregor. He's so * soft at times and just gets a pass. The fact is he's been consistently below par for the best part of a year now.

For me he just isn't the type of guy to really take the game by the scruff of the neck when the going gets tough. This is an opinion formulated based on watching him for 7 years as a first team player. On his day he can be brilliant, but one of the most untrue opinions I've seen on here is that he is "consistent". He's anything but. Under Rodgers he was at his best, but he should really be coming into his prime right now. Hopefully he picks it up again with a new manager.

I will say that he has been drastically overplayed though, not rotated and rested enough (see Tierney, see Brown, see Forrest). Its * idiotic. Since Rodgers took over at Celtic McGregor has averaged 53 games PER SEASON for club and country. Mental.

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. jambo_cfc

Think the big issue mcgregor has had this season is brown and the defense ! Brown doesnt have the legs to allow mcgregor to get up and support and mcgregors being pushed back which is not his strong point ! The more games he plays with soro and also if we get the defense sorted then i think u will see mcgregor get back to his best

Dan Breen likes this.
  7. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Oh back to McGregors turn to come and say “we must win every game now”.

8. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    To be fair what else are they going to say?

My fear at present is that we struggle to hold onto second.

9. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Surley can think of something else to say and change the record. Everyone at the club knows we can’t win every game, they are just being sent out to say stuff to try and get the fans on side, probably works for some but majority now in the other camp. No digging at McGregor as he’s sent out with a script to read just like all our player interviews last couple months.

10. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I guess you could turn it round and say that if we don't win the next game then it is likely over. As opposed, to talking about winning all the remaining games. Other than that I struggle to see another answer.

Luis1967 likes this.
  11. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    Looks like he's been greeting

12. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, looks completely scunnered

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Mr. Slippyfist

Aye, and he has every right to be.

Not that he's been up to his best this season, but there's never a want for trying with Callum.

It wouldn't surprise in the least if he wanted away come the end of the season, nor would you hear any bad words from me against him.

Excellent player dragged down to the levels of *

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Feel for him. He’s a talented player and has been busting his gut all season, but we’re utterly hopeless from boardroom to management. He’ll be gone in summer imo, and I don’t blame him.

Actually do feel for a few of the players this year. They’ve been let down badly by those off the field.

Keano88, NomDePlum and The Prof like this.
  16. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    Needed him to step up and be the leader for the last 2 games and unfortunately he's failed miserably

17. Bonobhoy

The fans are * greeting,* him and his tears.

Hes been * for over a season,lazy and lethargic.

He shoulda took that game as a statement of intent for his future here along with others,they failed that,againt * Livingston.

Move on and join the snake

18. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

We are even destroying what was probably the best midfield player in Scotland for last few years. Looks lost and times especially when helping out defence. Played well at Ibrox but been miles off it all season too.

19. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Not for me. Lazy isn’t a word I could ever use to describe him.

It’s very rare that you’ll see any individual standout performances, over a sustained period, when a team is going through what we currently are.

Honestly I think people still underestimate just how important management and coaching is to the teams success. For me, it’s the single most important component. Do it as poorly as we’ve been doing as of late, and good players will inevitably look poor.

Bonobhoy likes this.
  20. cammy07

Lennon has managed to make the best player in the country look completely hopeless.

He'll be away at the end of the season and it would be impossible to blame him must be completely fed up of it all.