1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CelticBhoyDavid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Would have to be King of Kings, Henrik Larsson.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I'm not picky.
    Nope because I'm in the same boat. I watched the game on Tuesday and, while he did get us the goal that won us our match, I thought he was pretty average, especially in the 1st half. He's done well in the pre-season matches he's been in as well, but again, he's been nothing brilliant.

I'm hoping he gets better, though, because it's good to see our youth players getting their chances to see what they are made of.

2. ulsterscot

Thank * Ronnie Deila is our manager instead of the mightymcginn . He looked the part on Tuesday night , a night made difficult by the pitch, or the long grass on the pitch plus the Icelandic team didn't play ball with us by playing 6 to 8 players deep in their defence so like many more experience players McGregor was forced to pass sideways . Will we be singing about the great McGregor next season. I think so and I hope so . I think he has a settled head and a good work ethic , that plus the bit of ability he is showing could just help him to make it. Players make the break through at different ages , maybe with the more mature mind and body of a 21 year old it may also help him .

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I hope he can improve here as well and i also like youngsters getting the chance, so that in the worst case scenario teams will sit up and take notice and fork out money for guys who are good but not quite good enough.. That's how i see the little man right now..

I was reading and listening up on his loan last year and although he was scoring left right and.center, he wasn't getting praise for his.all round play down there, infact another loan player was getting the plaudits from the manager..

4. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    i know this sounds over the top but he reminds me of a young paul scholes. The way he passes and moves , always finds space. If you watched him closely on tuesday you will see he often plays the simple ball quickly and moves even quicker into intelligent areas. Has a very good football brain , and is a goal scorer. Could literally go to the top.

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    * me :56::56:
    :52:

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Deila made a comment about him being a bit scared to drive at the defence during the game and that he wants to see him express himself more on the park. Expect to see more of him doing that.

Another thing is he has only started 2 or 3 games for us far too early to make any real judgement. Plus he wasn't the only one passing it sideways in that game, pretty hard to always make penetrating passes with 11 men behind the ball, especially if you want to keep the ball.

7. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I love the thought of a player who is having a */quiet game then having the nerve to take people on and have a pop at goal.

He is having to adapt to a bigger club, raised expectations etc, and it would be totally understandable if he was still a bit nervous and edgy.....but he still * scored!!!

I think the guy is a player.

8. kieranc

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm not sure I rate him. We'll see how he does this season but I don't think he'll make it here. I'll probably be wrong and I hope I am. Maybe it'll be different with Deila in charge.

9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think he will be a useful player for us, Deila seems to have taken to him straight away.

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I'm not just basing this on a couple games this season, last pre season, scotland under 21's and a few live notts county games i watched specifically as i wanted to see how he got on..

All have brought me to this conclusion and for me to feel the need to post this..

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I like that knack in a striker, no other than henrik was great at that..

Not for a midfielder, having * games and.nipping in with a few goals is not enough for a midfielder, in that position i like and want a lot more than that.. For me anyway..

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Fair enough, not everyone is going to take to him.

Even if he wasn't as direct in his play (which I think he is, we just haven't seen it) he certainly seems to have the knack of scoring goals from midfield, something most of our out and out midfielders lack.

Deila's comments about him are really promising though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2014
  13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    He certainly likes him, i hope a few can improve this year and break through.. Mcgeough, watt, Henderson being the others and fisher to an extent..

The 2 centre backs have put me off for life since linz, it was a punt performance for both. Seriously what shockers ..

Hopefully your right and I'm wrong mate, ronny will give all the names mentioned (i think) a chance this.season

14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I would like Henderson, Mcgeouch and Mcgregor to all make an impact but realistically they are all competing for the same spot in the side so it's difficult.

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Not necessarily, Henderson is more defensively minded and central.. Mcgeough and Mcgregor are more similar in positions but not in style, Mcgeough is more of a baller where as Mcgregor seems better breaking on to the ball..

I think domestically there will be space for 2 of 3, at times..

16. z1c0

Henderson - CM
    Mcgeouch - CAM
    Mcgregor - LW

All competing for 3 different positions.

17. z1c0

Personally im of the opinion this lad will end up having better careers than maloney or mcgeady - maybe on par with the later. He shows a great intelligence in his play, nice touch and he scores goals, lots of goals I remember any time I used to check who scored in the youth matches this lads name will always have been on the score sheet. If he manages to keep on improving then i've got high hopes for him.

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Aye I acknowledge they are different kind of players however the formation we will adopt I don't think there is space for more than 1 of them as Brown, Johansen, Mulgrew, Biton(DARE I say his name) and Kayal will no doubt make up the other 2 central spots.

That's if we play a 4-3-3. In a 4-2-3-1 none of those three young players will probably start in either of the 2 sitting roles and in the 3 the central player will no doubt always be Commons with two wide players either side.

However, as you say, there will be space at times due to injuries, rotation etc but I wouldn't expect to see 2 or all 3 starting, certainly not this season.

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony

See my last post. Mcgregor isn't a left winger either.

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    If we have all 5 seniors fit and on form then they will struggle to get a look in, saying that though i have faith that ronny will be more willing/more often to stick the youngsters in at the deep end to see how they cope..

That time is now for me, we have our captain out for 3 months which leaves chico, Johnasen and our 2 Israeli boys.. 1 who has been * on and off for a couple of year..
    I know ronny still has to do his wheel and dealing but it's not out the question that Henderson, Mcgeough or Mcgregor could in to.that in the mean time through other played mis fortunes and failures to recapture top form (Kayal).. I can certainly see a case where at least 2 of them get not only a few games but a run of games during the season..