1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

California mass shooting. Are we apathetic?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by packybhoy, May 26, 2021.

Discuss California mass shooting. Are we apathetic? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    To be fair I will say that whole phrase about the US being the policeman of the world is utterly risible. It is simply a euphemism the US uses to hide its imperialism around the world and support of or installing of so many nasty far right regimes that will do what they want them to do.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Very good poster, agreed :50:

I've been twice and done a lot of the West Coast with the family. My uncle lives in LA in a gated complex but you come out of there and a minute up the road it's run down motels and that rough feeling all around..

You come out to the suburbs of LA and there's what felt/or I remember it to be miles of trailer park ghettos just off the freeways with wee train stations in the middle..

Aye there's good and bad like everywhere from what we saw but there's far too many shitholes that are run down and I don't think it's a safe place whatsoever..

Went San Diego which seemed quite nice. On our way to San Francisco we got got lost and ended up in the worst ghetto I saw out there in Oakland and we were well well out of place and stood out like sore thumbs in our hired car and map's in the front all pale white family in the hood :giggle1:
    The looks we got as we got were something else..

San Francisco seemed quite a dead-ish place..

Waffling on a bit here but decent for a holiday and to witness what it's like out there but actually move there? Never ever for me..

Vegas the same. So much going on in the strip. Come out of it 2 seconds and it's a hellhole, tents everywhere and a proper shithole..

Went down to Ensenada in Mexico and our family member that lives out there had to tell us how to act and what to put away as we crossed the border. Coming back in to America is weird just constantly got * at your window trying to punt you stuff or get you to open window's etc. Having such a lawless country next door to you isn't exactly comforting, add in the availability of guns in the states as well and how area's are just left to rot. It's a no for me..

I'm no one of these fearty guy's but I've probably watched too many American crime doc's. It's just a dangerous place to me and how I remembered it as a travelling youngster..

Artorias and Maestro 08 like this.
  3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Jeeze guys all this praise I don't know better keep my head in check or I might have problems getting out the door today:)

4. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

About people on the outside being apathetic towards mass shootings in the States. I feel it even has less news time or media interest compared to a few years back. Is people in America becoming apathetic to these incidents? :50:

5. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Basically I am reading there that all things been equal and you had an opportunity to live in the US you would not go near the place. Would I be right?

Assuming I am I cannot say either I blame you or find fault with what your saying. I live in Illinois in the Chicago suburbs but have travelled all over the country and still do as a result of my job and also my wife and I love to travel when we have the time together including long weekends to some of the national parks in the US. So I have a pretty good handle on what it's like to live in most parts of the US.

Firstly I will say and I have said this many times to family and friends that as much as where I live has issues when I get back after my latest work trip I am always thankful to be back as good lord so many parts of the US are so bad I really do appreciate where I live. I will say of the places you mentioned San Diego is a great spot very nice city and surrounding towns although even there the homeless problem in San Diego as it is in many cities in the US is insane and very noticeable. The gap between the have's and the have not's in the US is enormous.

To add onto what you said about coming from wealthy places to right into extreme poverty and danger New Orleans is another classic example .The famous garden district and central area is a fascinating place to visit. But the old Irish Channel area right next to the garden district is a perfect example of that extreme poverty and danger right next to extreme wealth. FYI the Irish Channel is no longer an Irish area but the Irish history in New Orleans is fascinating and they have a nice Irish cultural museum there in the city.

In many ways Americans are a contradiction I find. I have travelled internationally a lot and I find Americans in general among the most friendly people yet there is so much hate in this country it is unreal. The biggest issue I have found after living here and getting married and settling down here is that Americans are incredibly selfish. They have a massive me culture. Their concept of there needing to be a certain amount of we to have a positive and productive society is very low on their radar. It's all about me and I got mine screw everyone else. They just do not care or have much in the way of empathy socially and tend to be very selfish culturally.

In terms of living here well the best I can say is that I have lived here over 20 years now and I would rather be living back home in Ireland no question. Maybe when I retire I will move back home with my wife. Not sure she would. She loves Ireland except its always raining and there is no sun she says. But jokes aside when we retire once we get ourselves sorted first chance I get I am out of here. Even now I go home to Ireland every chance I get and it always feels good to be out of here and back home. Part of what has made this pandemic so bad for me is I have not been able to go home since the summer before it all started.

I am kind of rambling there but I hope that gives you a feel for where I am coming from.

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    100% right i wouldn't mate..

Yep the wealth divide is unmissable out there everywhere you go. We have it here in London in every Borough but it's 100x worse in the States..

Why do you think Irish area's are no more in a lot of the east coast these day's? I've seen similar on the telly if I remember right, might have been an Irish mob doc or that. London is similar in that you could call a number of predominantly Irish area's but I don't think there's really am Irish area in London now..

Very much the same here in the me me me culture. I'm alright Jack. A real real * trait of this city..

That bad you've had enough out there?

Nah, interesting post my man :50:

7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I would say no there are not becoming less apathetic no I do not think so here in the US. They have an utterly corrupt and broken political system so everyone knows nothing is going to get done. There are mass shootings in the US every single day pretty much and only a few ever grab any headlines for a few days before we all move onto the next one. It has been that way for as long as I can remember living in the US and nothing has changed recently. In Chicago for example there have been roughly 1,000 people shot so far this year through the end of April. Just last weekend there were 48 people shot and 6 killed but you did not hear about that one did you nope because it was just another weekend in a big American city.
    Whenever I am talking with some American gun nutter (and they are literally everywhere) I say the bottom line is the US is the only developed country in the world with a serious gun violence problem and the US and it's attitude towards gun laws across the country is the problem. Here are 2 crazy but personal examples of Americans and guns. My wife used to be on the board of our complex that we live in. Well one day the monthly board meeting had to be cancelled as one resident who was not happy with a board decision texted a picture of his gun to the board members the day of the meeting. Another was an incident I had with an American policeman. I was talking with a friend after practice and it was late and we were the only 2 cars left in the car park when out of nowhere a cop car comes racing in and the policeman jumps out gun drawn and pointing at us and screaming at us what are we doing. We were totally bewildered what was going on and tried to explain we had finished practice a while ago that we worked at the facility we were at and just got caught up chatting and had not left yet. I can only imagine what would have happened if we were not white. But we are so we manged to not get shot!

Xatraps, Maestro 08, The_Bhoy and 2 others like this.
  8. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    No doubt wealth inequality is a big issue at home as well but in the US it is far far worse and continuing in the wrong direction too. It is not like they are even trying to fix the problem either because they are not.
    In terms of the old traditional areas for the most part the Irish have moved out to the suburbs. Plus there really is not much in the way of significant numbers of Irish moving here anymore and hasn't been for quite a while now.

No question for me I live here because I have a great wife, job and home and some good friends as well. But I really can't stand the place and the culture in general and really cannot defend the place at all. Once the pandemic is over I will be going back home for a bit every year again and when we retire first chance I get we will move to Ireland get out of here or at the very least we will live in Ireland for a good portion of the year and only live in the US for a bit.

9. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I have a similar story. When I married my ex in Orlando we had to go to Orange County courthouse to get the marriage licence. The courthouse itself was mental as it also dealt with criminal cases so there was some sights even there. However we got a cab to the courthouse and it cost something like $80. Me being a tight * I suggested we get a bus back to save some money...

This bus seemed to go through every ghetto on the way back to International Drive. There’s me, my ex and my two bhoys in various Celtic tops, Bermuda shorts etc. :giggle1:

I thought it was fascinating though and at no point did we feel threatened.

10. Mr. Slippyfist

I bet you wished you'd left her in California now...

:fear:

Sean Daleer likes this.
  11. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    This is so sad.

12. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    The shooting that started the thread.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  13. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    * *, tears in my eyes watching that. What a place. Get the guns to *.

eire4 likes this.
  14. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

When I went to wrestlemania the stadium was in the most run down ghetto you actually had cops telling us to avoid certain streets after the event as they couldn't guarantee our safety I was alright though I had a comemeritive chair from the event so I was tooled up

Sean Daleer likes this.
  15. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I actually got a bus across from that arena to go to Orlando City game. Afterward we thought we will walk for a bit to get a taxi. A guy overheard us and said wait and get on the bus. When we were driving from the stadium we went through a black neighbourhood. Like on movies there were young kids on BMX’s outside a basketball court watching for the cops. Obviously the drug spot. Across the street from there were about 50 people just lying on the sidewalk on cardboard to sleep. Another * world.

Sean Daleer and Cena like this.
  16. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Was it the Orlando City stadium or the citrus bowl you went to both in the same area but the citrus bowl is further in that neighbourhood but I know the exact area you're on about

17. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Aye @Cena it was the Citrus Bowl.

18. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Aye thats where the wrestling was such a mad area though definitely wouldn't like to get caught on my own there

They've built their actual stadium on the same road closer to the arena its all nice and fancy until after then its ghetto all the way to the citrus bowl

packybhoy likes this.
  19. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Right, I thought you meant the Amway Arena for the WWE which is at the edge of the city centre where Orlando Magics play. Suppose the citrus Bowl would hold a few thousand more.

20. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Aye wrestlemania was in the citrus bowl the rest of them were in the amway so was in that area a lot over the 2 weeks I was there. Was a bar in the city centre where a train track goes through the middle of the outside bar bit was mad