1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Boycotting those who vote yes.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Scarecrow, Jun 18, 2012.

Discuss Boycotting those who vote yes. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CharlieMulgrini

Hey PaddyBhoy not looking for an argument here but a debate rather

Why do you think they would say yes?

2. TAB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    Good post btw. Can't argue with that at all.

3. Sween

The more I think about this one the more I am unsure to be honest.

I am siding towards no, we shouldnt, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, because I think any protest should come from that teams own fans rather than us. This isnt a celtic issue - it is an equal issue for all SPL clubs and I would rather leave it to individual supporters and supporter groups to petition their clubs and make their opinions known. If the clubs chose to go against the fans opinion then they will have to deal with the backlash but it shouldnt be for celtic fans to dish out. It should be for fans of all clubs.

Secondly and more importantly, if you really believe boycotting away days will have a serious impact on that team, do you really want that team to go bust? Rangers are already busto, hearts and killie are pretty close, and a whole other lot of teams arent far behind. Are we really saying that if 8 clubs vote them back in we are happy to play in a league where we are actively trying to financial wreck most of the clubs in the league? What would be the point? It sounds petty and extreme to stop supporting your own team in order to punish a much smaller club arguably to the point of closure. Winning the league is all good and well, but trying to financially squash potentially more than half the teams in the league isnt good for anyone and I dont really understand the motivation. They cannot change their mind and it doesnt impact newco in any way. All it would lead to is even less money in the pockets of these teams and even less competition than what we already have.

4. Balearic bhoy

Thanks mate, I feel really strongly about this issue, all over the world we have people making a stand at great sacrifice for issues they believe in. Look at the wee guy that started a revolution in the middle east standing up for what he believed in, he made the ultimate sacrifice. Yet we wont do what is morally right for fear of missing out on a good away day.

Yes the team does need our support but by attending these grounds we are saying we accept cheating and by doing this it could all happen again in a generation or so. We support the club CELTIC the team changes year in year out, what about the players that wore our shirts that were cheated out of titles and trophies and champions league experience? We should be making a stand in their name as much as anything.

It all boils down to this we have a chance to stand up for integrity and ensure a level playing field in the future, or we can open up wide and accept whatever * they shovel our way for the next 100 years.

The rules are the rules there shouldn't even be a vote on this, maybe in a few years if rangers are kept in the spl but are not competing for the title we can have another vote to give them extra points for a win to keep things competitive so the guys up the pub keep buying pints while we fund their national sport!

5. hughcairney

we have to boycot teams who vote the tax dodgers back into the spl come on guys they are doing it for cash nothing else we have to make sure they lose ours .we cannot stand back and let them waltz back in with no debt .integrity is a way of life we have plenty they have none .make a stand together if the shoe was on the other foot do you think they would help us .GET A GRIP WE ARE CELTIC 'division 3 for the cheats :bbpd:

6. idlewildered

I enjoyed your previous post but comparing the world of football to the middle east is a joke.

I won't be boycotting any club that says yes to a Newco and I've made my reasons why clear throughout this thread and it's certainly not for fear of losing an away day.

I respect your passion and you're one of (not the only one though) the first that really comes off as caring about the integrity of the league as opposed to just really hating Rangers. :50:

7. idlewildered

I don't believe for a second that we'd be treated differently in this matter. The days of Celtic being the scrappy underdog with everyone against them are long gone.

Clubs are taking their finances into account, if we were to go they'd be doing the same thing and would vote accordingly. I don't believe for a second there's a mass love for the huns from all other chairmen in the SPL.

8. Balearic bhoy

I accept everyone will have different opinions on this and our support is divided, I everyone has the right to make there own decision for whatever reason they want, and more importantly I respect them for that even if they disagree with me.

9. Sween

I am completely against newco rejoining the SPL but to compare this in any way whatsoever to the political revolutions in the middle east is a bit daft in my opinion. We are talking about protecting fair play in a game - not a matter or life and death.

I get people feel strongly on this issue but we do need to keep things in perspective a little bit.

10. idlewildered

we never do very will with that........... perspective is difficult to achieve when you're passionate about something. I have to keep a tight reign of my horses every time I post here!

11. jokeybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ynwa
    I read the other day that the voters can remain anonymous so there is a good chance we will never find out who voted for what

12. made in ireland

I've read one or two posts describing a boycott of matches a form of 'bullying' from the Celtic support- I think that's pretty absurd. It is merely customers using their discretion. As I've said before; why should supporters be expected to pay a ridiculous amount of money to clubs who support and prop up a bent league (especially during tough financial times)?

I would fully expect supporters of other clubs (and even many Celtic supporters) to boycott Celtic matches IF Celtic voted 'yes' to create a corrupt and dishonest league- I certainly wouldn't take the ridiculous opinion that they would be 'bullying' Celtic.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
  13. made in ireland

I don't see the point in that. Surely all it would take is a shareholder to ask at the next AGM or shareholder meeting which way their club voted?

14. mfisher

How have you been cheated out of this money?? That money was spent SUPPORTING your team. Regardless what another team was doing you spent that money supporting your team. When you went to another ground in the spl did you do it to give them money?? Or was it to support your team???

Who says the guy in the pub watching the game is more important than you? Or the guy in his house with a sky subscription is more important? Thats the way football is nowadays. Its not 1980 anymore, the game has changed and tv is a huge part of it whether you like it or not. When your sitting down to watch the euros do you care that games are kicking off at nearly 10 o'clock in that country just so as you can sit watching them at a time that suits much better??

Mortgages and 7 years olds ?? You really are trying to pull at heart strings arent you but the truth of the matter is you are no different from anyone else. I have spent money supporting my team and will continue to support my team regardless what happens with the other lot. My love for Celtic far out weighs my hatred for Rangers so whatever Peter Lawell and the chairmen of the other clubs decide i will still be there supporting my team home and away.

15. idlewildered

it's a statement I'll stand by but was more pointed towards the idea that our board should refuse to accept away game tickets from clubs that vote for a newco.

the boycott itself isn't the bullying, it's the * you, do what I want or I'll hit you in the pocket attitude that comes across that way to me. especially given that it's been said by supporters of a club (a * glorious one at that!) that know their club can ride out the financial * storm. other clubs don't have that luxury.

16. idlewildered

the point is that any democratic vote should remain anonymous, although you're probably spot on with the shareholder's being privy to that information.

17. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I think the Celtic Supporters' Association should write to the chairmen of each SPL club, and explain to them exactly why they should vote 'No'. No need to explicitly threaten them with the likes of a boycott, but rather show them the real consequences of voting 'No' - show them that they would be rendering Rangers' actions acceptable; that they would be condoning the robbery of their own supporters as well as ours - and that we as a support cannot possibly continue to help fund their clubs' affairs if they make that decision.

18. idlewildered

as I've said previously as well there needs to be a meeting of clubs to work out how the holes in their finances can be filled as well.

let them vote with all the facts as opposed to just their visceral gut reaction.

19. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Yeah. We need to work together with the other SPL clubs to come to a conclusion that satisfies both the need for justice and the financial needs of all member clubs.

20. idlewildered

but instead all we do is procrastinate and accuse everyone else of condoning cheating......

This is the most crucial time in SPL history and there's no coming together of member clubs.