1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Board couldn't care less about 10 in a row

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by themouth1888, Oct 2, 2020.

Discuss Board couldn't care less about 10 in a row in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    We still need to win games in EL to get Scotland higher. It is nowhere near guaranteed

King of Kings likes this.
  2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It's been the best window in years in terms of the quality of additions.

Add a LWB to that and maybe a RW on loan and theres no excuses from the football side of things tbh.

It wasnt the boards fault we went out of the CL.

jake10, HoopyT, Sgt Neppers* and 2 others like this.
  3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Fully agree Sean.

Mad to think at the time we all seemed accepting off Hayes leaving and wished him the best.
    Now in hindsight he'd be a brilliant player in the lwb position.

Hindsight though.
    I do believe another will come in, and agree with yourself that it'll be one of the best windows if we manage that and no one leaves.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

HoopyT likes this.
  4. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    OP sorry you are way off here mate seriously no need for this thread but let’s look at it anyway.

celtic haven’t posted our accounts for last year yet, primarily due to the transfer window being extended and auditors and accountants being restricted in their works they should be out the next week to 10 days.

celtic are losing (after deductible costs) income of around £800k per month or equivalent to 2 home domestic matches.

our reduction in income for the financial year 2020-21 will be staggering with no way of plugging that hole.

we will not have any additional match day revenue this year to 31st December fans won’t be allowed in its simple.

we have lost out on around £8m in ticket money from the European qualifiers, Europa league group stages being played behind closed doors.

that’s a ton of money to be lost in Scotland!

yet we have still went and spent close to £15m on players (£12.5m nett) the board have done their best. We can sell players upto 30th June 2021 to cover any losses incurred in the first half of season where traditionally the accounts are front loaded with season ticket cash etc. We will need to call up the cash reserves to have a good first half trading imo but we will sell someone and who can blame the board, wether that sale be in the next 4 days, January window or even May 2021 to June 2021 it’s football.

We are losing income and cash and we are not immune however we don’t have any “black holes” like some! Calm down and carry on!

Peej and Belgian_lad like this.
  5. Foley1888

Depending on Eddy’s fitness and Griff, the system we are playing we could do with another player that could also play up top as well as the wide areas.

Seeing Eddy going off last night gives me the fear of playing them with no fit striker again.

Not writing Klimala off longer term but he is not ready now to lead the line for us.

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I did say I would've offered Hayes a new deal, he was an ideal squad player. He never let us down, never rocked the boat and could play a variety of positions.

It was mooted at the time that he was looking for a longer-term deal given he's on the wrong side of 30 but he then followed that up by signing for Aberdeen and taking no salary for 12 months.

I think we could've convinced him to sign up for another year in the push for the 10 and out of our 3 LWB choices - Hayes, Taylor and Bolingoli - he was our most suited out of them all.

HoopyT, Mince.Charming and Peej like this.
  7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I dont see it as a priority whilst we have 4 strikers at the club and the likes of Christie and Elyonoussi having already played striker/CF for us before.

LWB and RW have to be the priorities.

HoopyT likes this.
  8. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What's the script with it mate?

I thought it was rubber stamped now the way people have been speaking about it

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

We won't have automatic qualification for next season, that's already decided based on our coefficient from the years 15/16 - 19/20

But if we outperform the likes of Turkish and Danish clubs this season then it could push us up to 11th in the coefficient for the 22/23 season. That would mean 2 places for Scotland, with the League winner's place being an automatic one.

[​IMG]

Marty McFly likes this.
  10. Foley1888

LWB is a definite number 1 priority for me but the thought of Christie or Ely leading the line vs them and us struggling to get out our own half gives me the fear, it’s happened too many times over the last two years.

The RW position I agree we are light there but at present we are not playing a formation where we have a RW, that’s not saying we won’t. Forrest, Christie (don’t like him there but prefer him there to ST), Johnstone when fit, Frimpong can all occupy the RW slot in a 4-2-3-1, particularly playing Frimpong in front of Elhamed appeals to me as they link well.

A difference of opinion but in the striker department we currently have Ajeti (injured but hopefully make it), Eddy (out of form and looks to be carrying a knock), Griff (yet to be seen on the field this year) and Klimala (who looks raw and wasn’t trusted when we had no striker vs Ferencvaros). If Lenny is confident Griff can make a contribution we are sorted.

As inexperienced as he is Doughty would be a great signing in terms of the positions he could cover as long as he wasn’t the only signing.

The one thing I don’t agree with is this notion Johny Hayes would have been the answer to our LWB dilemma, for me he was an average player who baring a few good performances, often frustrated me when playing. He would have been an option more than we have and seemed a good guy but we need better.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Exactly this.

12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Bizarre notion, it'll never catch on.

Spring Time and Marty McFly like this.
  13. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Think it's very harsh to pin anything on the board. I'd imagine Lennon himself has been dragging his heels on the lb/lwb as maybe he thinks he will get a better one with Europe guaranteed. Every club is hemorrhaging revenue, id rather we were being prudent and in ajeti and barkas we have two great signings that are looking to appear like very cheap business with a decent resale. Also like it or not there is gonna be a massive transition post the 10iar, brown will be retired, ntcham, edoaurd , ajer , Christie will either be gone this year or next , you'd wonder what more there is to achieve for the likes of McGregor and would he fancy a shot at the prem. Duffy and elyounassi will be gone. Jullien could fancy a crack at prem too. Frimpong is only gonna attract interest down the line.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    What is this pish?

15. wulliebad

Spending 15 million in one window,the window just before the push for 10 IAR says the board knows how important this is to the fans and have acted.Do they care as much as the fans...no.
    But they have spent more than normal and it looks like they will refuse to sell eddy going on lenny remarks.

Dan Breen and Peej like this.
  16. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    This thread went well @themouth1888 :56:

Honestly, how after a positive night for the club someone can be so desperate to find fault and negativity that they go to these extremes is beyond me. As @Marty McFly touched upon, it’s a * massive season, let’s actually support the team and ditch the negativity.

17. horseshoe

Mental stuff, but I guess some people are always wanting to blame the board for something no matter what. I'm sure everyone on the board knows that if we * the 10 there will be no coming back from it, heads would roll, even if they went out and spunked another £20m on players tomorrow and the manager/team just made an * of it in spite of it, a sack the board movement would probably happen anyway, they know what's at stake here for us and them.

18. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    If this thread was made 2 years ago I'd agree, * I'd probably be inclined to agree last year too.

Now? No chance, Ajeti is a quality signing, Barkas might not be Fraser Forster but he cost 5million and is very well rated in greece, and Turnbull was by far the best player in scotland out with us and the huns, that's not to mention the very impressive loan signings of Duffy and Elyounoussi.

Signing a LB has definitely dragged on, nobody will argue that, but assuming we actually manage to get somebody that's well rated then I dont mind the wait, big if of course.

Another factor is it looks like we're keeping both Ajer and Edouard, which is huge. I fully expected both to leave after we got papped out the CL, I still have a feeling Ntcham will leave (if not this window, the January window) but keeping the others is fantastic.

It's been a slow start from us, and I think the ferencvaros result still hurts for a lot of people (me included) but we're in europe and a point off them with a game in hand, we're clearly not at top speed yet and when we are, we will absolutely demolish teams.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  19. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    If you believe the Celtic board have no interest in 10 in a row then I am genuinely lost for words.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  20. JamesM09

Assuming we get a decent LB in I don't think the board can be blamed from a player recruitment point of view this season.

On the point that players would've been sold if we had been knocked out of Europe - I honestly think the decision would've been taken out of the board's hands. Like it or not, some players would've been completely demotivated if we had been knocked out. They would've forced moves or spent the season causing problems.

All that being said, the board will be at fault if we fail to win the 10 this season. Hiring Lennon again was a risky choice and by the board's own admission no other candidates were entertained.