1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Best away day experiences and stories

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Breathnach67, Nov 10, 2020.

Discuss Best away day experiences and stories in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Ajax away 1982. I went to this game with my dad and older brother and it was my best away day ever. From the atmosphere in the Square building up throughout the day, getting more and more pished by the minute, eating dodgy cakes, having a wee visit into the dirty book shops and saying hello to the scantily dressed "ladies" in the windows to watching Celtic beat an Ajax team that included the great Johan Cruyff 2-1.

2. DonnyCelt

Remember all that well mate. Hammering it down as I walked into a bank on the morning of the game to buy my ticket. Was about €90 and initially for a section next to the away end.

Got to the ground and we went straight into the heart if the away end no questions asked.

Went back to the San Siro the next day and did the stadium tour and that was quality.

Noskeil likes this.
  3. Aidan O’Shea

Pls no.

4. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Not the furthest I’ve traveled but as a17 year old my brother and my 2 mates love street 1986, can still remember, Celtic did their bit with half an hour to go, no one really watching the game, everyone Gathered round someone with the wee radio just listening , the buzz when Albert kidd scored was just orgasmic, then 3 minutes later the second went in, just the realisation we had won the league was phenomenal

Breathnach67 likes this.
  5. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The 5-1 at Ibrox deserves a mention. Not a proper away day, but going to the * pit and absolutely ripping their team and fans to shreds was a day that I’ll never forget.

Naka at Kilmarnock and big Jan up at Tannadice to win the league were both very special too.

In terms of European away days, I’ll never forget going down to Anfield and putting them in their place. Our fans were * incredible that night, as were our team.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  6. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

This is probably my favourite away day story. It’s no my story, I might add.

In 2003, our UFFA Cup final year, I went on a bus from Shawlands to the Celtic v Blackburn game at Ewood Park.
    We won 2-0 and wanted to celebrate after the match, so we asked the driver to take us to Blackpool. At first he refused and after we had a whip round and gave him 80 quid he agreed to take us for a few hours.

I can't remember the name of the pub, but we were in there a few hours, got a wee lock in. Anyway, the driver came into the pub and told us to get ready to leave for Glasgow, we had five minutes.
    We were well pished and slowly and drunkenly made our way to the bus.
    On the bus we were all getting comfy for a wee kip on the way home when someone from the pub came running out shouting that we'd left one of the boys behind. We were all ignoring the driver's pleas to go and get him so the driver and a few of the barstaff brought this 20 stone bear of a guy out of the pub. He was pished and well asleep. They huffed and puffed him onto the bus and laid him on the floor in the aisle between the seats.
    We didn't really take much notice as we were pished ourselves and trying to get a kip.
    Thing is, the guy was snoring like a * train and about 10 miles north of Gretna my cousin Brian woke up asking what the * that noise was.
    As a few more of us woke up we looked at the lump of a guy on the floor. Some of the guys tried to wake him up but had no luck, then oor Brian said that the guy wasnae on the bus going to Blackburn.

I was laughing ma * off and said that I hope he doesnae stay in Blackpool.
    Anyway, one of the guys had a look for the guy's wallet to see if he had some ID on him. He found a driving license and it had an address in Hamilton on it. So we told the driver to drop him off.

When we got to the guy's house we had to drag him off the bus as he still wouldn't wake up. We managed to get his keys out his pocket and open his front door. We laid him on his couch and left his keys on the mantlepiece and left. We closed the front door behind us and as we were walking down his drive one of his neighbours was coming in from the nightshift and she said. 'If you're looking for big Tam, he's away to blackpool with the wife and kids.

Well we just nodded and rushed onto the bus and then just pished ourselves laughing. We took the * home. He must have just seen all us tims in the pub and thought. 'That'll do for me.'

7. jj81

Quality :57:

8. jj81

Not been to many away of any note , prob the huns away in the cup when broony scored , was right behind that side of the goal , knew it was in as soon as it left his boot , but the 2nd half display was unreal especially door to 10 , wave of wave of attacks down the wings

Breathnach67 likes this.
  9. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

All the Machester United testimonials in the 90s were * immense! Far too many individual stories to tell.

As sean said earlier though, nothing will ever come close for me than Seville.

Prestwick via Frankfurt via Barcelona to Seville. Even sleeping rough in a train station one night will never diminish the majesty of that week.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  10. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

:56::56::56: Fantastic!!

11. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Definitely Love Street. Albert Kidd day.

Breathnach67 likes this.