1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Barry Coffey

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jan 10, 2020.

Discuss Barry Coffey in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

:56::56:

2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace

3. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    he played 3 cup games as well

Dan Breen likes this.
  4. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    I've liked the look of Coffey everytime I've seen him play but playing at that level at 19/20 isn't a good sign. Also why couldn't we find these players loans in August/September ?

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

5. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Made debut last night for Cliftonville.

6. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic's Barry Coffey prepared for the rigours of Irish League with Cliftonville

Danske Bank Irish Premiership

IF it wasn't for the global pandemic, Barry Coffey probably would never have worn the Cliftonville jersey.

But due to a weird twist of fate the Celtic and Republic of Ireland U21 international is gracing Solitude and hoping to return to Parkhead in the summer a “better player” than the one that left on loan last month.

The Tipperary native was one of the lucky ones. Instead of being parked on the hard shoulder like so many other underage footballers, Coffey was drafted into Celtic's first team bubble.

Approaching his fourth season with the Scottish Premier League giants, Coffey said: “I was very fortunate as Celtic kept a few of the younger reserve players on in the first team bubble. If we were needed we'd be able to play.”

But when the option of a loan move came about and Cliftonville expressed an interest, Coffey didn't have to be asked twice.

“I just wanted to experience first team football, learn and play in the men's game. Going from Academy football to men's football is a big jump. Of course, Academy football is about winning but it's also about developing. When you come to men's football it's all about winning. That's what I love and what I want to experience.”

After starring in the Kennedy Cup – the prestigious nationwide Schoolboys competition in the south which has spawned the careers of so many Republic of Ireland internationals – Coffey emerged on Celtic's radar and has been learning his trade under some of the best coaches on these islands - Shaun Maloney, Damien Duff, Tommy McIntyre and Stephen McManus among them.

When Brendan Rodgers quit Celtic and Neil Lennon took over, Duff's ascension to first team coaching duties also coincided with the young central midfielder moving up the ladder.

“Damien Duff was an idol of mine growing up but as a coach he is one of the best I've worked under so far in my career,” said the Nenagh youngster, who turns 20 next month.

“He's just world class, he has standards and stardust. There is just untold learning from someone like him. He's done it all in the game. He's been a massive influence on my career.”

Having starred in most underage teams on the international stage, particularly in the U19s' run to the semi-finals of the 2019 European Championships.

A keen hurler up until 11, his brother Andrew was part of the Tipperary senior hurlers in recent seasons, while his sister Maeve has also played at inter-county level in camogie.

As he sits on the cusp of the Celtic first team, Coffey has been inspired by the speedy graduation of former Republic underage team-mates Adam Idah and Jayson Molumby to Stephen Kenny's senior international team.

“We've had some really good runs in tournaments and some really good teams and hopefully more of us can push on for the seniors now and show what we can do,” said Coffey who made his Cliftonville debut in the 1-1 draw with Coleraine earlier this month.

“It's great to see those boys doing really well but it's also motivation for myself. Every time I go out and play I want to improve and hopefully one day I can get on to one if not both of those [Celtic and Republic of Ireland] squads in the future.”

As Paddy McLaughlin's men prepare to host high-flying Larne this afternoon, Coffey has enjoyed the physical nature of the Irish Premier League since arriving at the north Belfast club.

“Obviously there's a strong link between the Reds and Celtic,” the teenager said.

“I had a chat with my manager and I'm at the age where I want to play first team football.

“You never know what's going to happen in football. There are no guarantees if I'd stayed at Celtic for the rest of the season, whereas I've probably more chance of playing [at Cliftonville]. I just felt it was a good fit.

“I think I can hold my own fairly well in the Irish League. We've performed reasonably well over the last few weeks but we've conceded a couple of late goals which is killing us.

“For me, it's about showing my ability and adapting to the physical side of it and seeing how the league works and go back to Celtic not as a new player but a better player. Hopefully I can get closer to the Celtic first team and give the manager a headache as I suppose that's all you can do. But I want to try and bring success to Cliftonville while I am here.”

Celtic are enduring one of their worst campaigns in recent years and trail Rangers at the top by 15 points.

Despite their desperate position, it's unlikely Hoops boss Neil Lennon will start flooding his side with rookies as they try and claw some ground back on their Old Firm rivals.

“The likes of Ewan Henderson, Mikey Johnston and Stephen Welsh, guys I've played alongside at reserve level are in the first team squad.

“Some days you might think you're close and other days you think you're a million miles away [from starting for the Celtic first team]. The next day you could be starting. You just don't know.

“There is some serious talent in front of me and I'm learning off them. Because of their quality it's only going to make me better. You just want to be ready if the Gaffer says to you: ‘You're playing at the weekend.'

“All the players have made me feel welcome: from ‘Broonie' [Scott Brown] to Callum McGregor, they are all top pros, they all help you. But you have to believe in your own ability, not be shy around them and impose your own personality.”

8. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Bags of energy that Coffey, always full of beans.

9. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

Sure he will be an instant hit with Cliftonville

ladbroke8 likes this.
  10. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    I prefer Larry Hot Chocolate.

11. Turnbulls right peg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and over
    Hope he does well on loan, looks like he's bean slowly ground down by lennon :fear:

ladbroke8, FranceCelt and Dan Breen like this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    I heard he got roasted by the manager...

ladbroke8 and charlietully like this.
  14. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Made an instant impact....

ladbroke8 and FranceCelt like this.
  15. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Having to filter out the puns in this thread.

ladbroke8 and FranceCelt like this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Ooooft.. pick that out

Dan Breen likes this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Mr. Slippyfist

Brew-ti-ful

FranceCelt likes this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Great finish..

He showed up well last pre season but he's 20 and on loan in the Northern Irish league..

Poor developing for us and getting him out at better levels earlier..

Same with loads of other's..

elbhoydo likes this.