1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Away goals in Europe to end?

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Tony., Sep 10, 2018.

Discuss Away goals in Europe to end? in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Tony.

Fav Celtic Player:
    George Connelly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA.
    UEFA intends to review the away-goals rule in continental competition after leading coaches suggested the time is right for a change.

Giorgio Marchetti, deputy secretary general of European football's governing body, confirmed it would "open a discussion" on the future of the rule used to split teams who are level on aggregate in knockout ties in the Champions League and Europa League.

"The coaches think that scoring goals away is not as difficult as it was in the past," Marchetti told reporters. "They think the rule should be reviewed and that's what we will do.

"They consider the situation in football has changed and the weight of the away goals is not the same as many years ago when the rule was introduced."

The rule was first used in the European Cup Winners' Cup of 1965 as a way of settling ties that finished level, so as to avoid the prospect of deciding the result with a coin toss or a replay at a neutral venue, which was a far greater logistical challenge than it is today.

Marchetti spoke after the annual Elite Club Coaches Forum in Nyon, which is used to swap ideas with UEFA about possible improvements to the game and debate the future of the continent's top tournaments.

Along with the away-goals rule, the use of VAR and the technical and tactical aspects of last season's tournaments, attendees also called for a unified end to the transfer window.

A number of coaches are said to have been frustrated this year by the different closing dates for individual countries and leagues.

"We discussed the summer transfer windows - the coaches were of the view that there should be a unified window - and that the window should not overlap with the start of competitions," Marchetti said.

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho, Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui and Paris Saint-Germain's Thomas Tuchel were among the coaches to attend, along with former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.

The others included Carlo Ancelotti of Napoli, Atletico Madrid's Diego Simeone, Rafa Benitez of Newcastle United, Sergio Conceicao of Porto, Paulo Fonseca of Shakhtar Donetsk, Marseille's Rudi Garcia and Senol Gunes of Besiktas.

2. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Can't say I see any reason to change the away goals rule myself.

3. Tony.

Fav Celtic Player:
    George Connelly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA.
    I can see their point though Paul,theres nothing worse than seeing teams come to CP and sit back with 8 or 9 men packed in defence.
    Having said that,look at Barca v PSG 2 seasons ago and more recently Roma v Barca last season,incredible games.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  4. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Do you mean generally or in Europe Tony? I don't think this will overly affect Celtic in a negative way but I don't think it's meant to. More about helping the wealthier teams as usual.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    neilly1987, KRS-1888 and Tony. like this.
  5. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

It'll definitely be geared to stop the likes of Barca Madrid etc going out on away goals to someone like us in the knockouts

6. Tony.

Fav Celtic Player:
    George Connelly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA.
    Now that you've mentioned it, yer right Paul.
    I'd rather see the CL for champions only though,if clubs are getting a bye into the CL for finishing 4th or in some cases 5th the game is a bogey.
    Smaller clubs are being knocked out of the CL so that tv companies can rule the roost and decide who runs the tourneys. ..them.

7. Tony.

Fav Celtic Player:
    George Connelly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA.
    Exactly,some of the big teams already knocked out are incredible.

8. dmccourt95

Meh to it all, once again will be done to help the bigger teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilly1987 likes this.
  9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Get rid of it. It's a pish rule.

10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'd say champions of the league and even champions of there main cup. Atleast they won something to get there, not just ended up 4th.

That's why I agree with getting in from winning the Europa. Atleast they won something and are the champions of the Europa. Only thing then is teams like Real Madrid for one would not have been in the champions league for what 10 years? :56: the 3 times winners can't even win there league.

Tony. likes this.
  11. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Change the rule that stops big teams being drawn against each other in Group stages.
    Have an open draw with NO seedings at all in the comp.

Tony. likes this.
  12. celtic warrior

Bring back the two group stages of CL.

Tony. likes this.
  13. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Just stop counting goals altogether n let uefa tell us who the semi-finalists are now.

14. Tony.

Fav Celtic Player:
    George Connelly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA.
    It's barmy right enough,the big 6 will always have at least 3 represented in the semis every year for the foreseeable future,UEFAdont give a * about us any more.

15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I think they should get rid of it, it affects matches before games are played. There should be no advantage to playing home or away first but there is, if you play at home first and don't concede you put a lot of pressure on the home team in the 2nd leg where they are now in a position that
    if they concede first they are almost *.

It * extra time as well as when games go to extra time then the away team only has to match the home team for goals to go through.The home team always need to actually score more goals to win in extra time which isnt that fair either.

As long as teams score equal goals to each other then I dont see the problem of calling it a draw.

If the rules were to be 100% fair and equal then it should be home, away and if the scores are tied straight to penalties. Extra time should only be for semis or finals at neutral venues.

Tony. likes this.
  16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I have zero issues with it and don’t see the need to move it at all.