1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anthony Ralston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CalgaryBhoy, May 12, 2016.

Discuss Anthony Ralston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

YOU can’t win a league title on a cold Wednesday night in Dingwall in December, but you can certainly lose one. Celtic came within seconds of such a potentially catastrophic turn of events during the week, before showing their mettle with Anthony Ralston’s winner deep into stoppage time.

The full-back has been the unlikely hero of this campaign so far for his club, with his last-gasp header cementing a growing cult status for the 22-year-old among the Celtic support.

As is typical of the ethos under Ange Postecoglou though, Ralston’s immediate thoughts were not of the personal glory he could enjoy, but what his goal meant for the wider group.

What it showed beyond all doubt in his eyes is that this Celtic team has the stomach for the title battle, and that their faith in what they are doing has only been strengthened by the way in which – even with only 10 men – they managed to get over the line.

“We always believed throughout the game,” Ralston said. “It’s instilled in us all that no matter what happens in a game, no matter the circumstances or the challenges we’re faced with, we can overcome it.

“As a team we always felt we could win the game. And that moment, I felt it was deserved as a team that we managed to get the three points.

“For sure it is [a measure of our fortitude]. We’d challenges put in our way and it’s not easy to come up here while we also went down to 10 men. We were forced to change the team around. But, we won’t make excuses.

“We were still in the game, still kept on top and dominated. We got the opportunity and took it, which I was delighted to do.

“It’s just belief. It’s instilled in us all and it’s something that the gaffer is also big on. That we believe in ourselves no matter what’s put in front of us, that no matter what team plays we’re all important members of the squad.

“So, the main thing is it’s for the team that we scored that goal. But, of course, I’m also personally delighted that I was able to get in the right position and convert the chance.”

What it showed beyond all doubt in his eyes is that this Celtic team has the stomach for the title battle, and that their faith in what they are doing has only been strengthened by the way in which – even with only 10 men – they managed to get over the line.

“We always believed throughout the game,” Ralston said. “It’s instilled in us all that no matter what happens in a game, no matter the circumstances or the challenges we’re faced with, we can overcome it.

“As a team we always felt we could win the game. And that moment, I felt it was deserved as a team that we managed to get the three points.

“For sure it is [a measure of our fortitude]. We’d challenges put in our way and it’s not easy to come up here while we also went down to 10 men. We were forced to change the team around. But, we won’t make excuses.

“We were still in the game, still kept on top and dominated. We got the opportunity and took it, which I was delighted to do.

“It’s just belief. It’s instilled in us all and it’s something that the gaffer is also big on. That we believe in ourselves no matter what’s put in front of us, that no matter what team plays we’re all important members of the squad.

“So, the main thing is it’s for the team that we scored that goal. But, of course, I’m also personally delighted that I was able to get in the right position and convert the chance.”

“[I was in the] right place, right time and it’s a great cross from Tom. I found myself in the right area and I was able to convert it. So I’m delighted on a personal note, but more importantly it’s from a team point of view and I’ve helped us get three points.

“It keeps us on a good run and we continue on the right direction. All the boys were delighted, the coaching staff, the fans…it as a great moment for everyone.”

Ralston may soon top that moment though by playing a central role in earning the first silverware of the Ange Postecoglou reign at Hampden on Sunday.

Celtic now go into the League Cup Final against Hibernian buoyed by those scenes sparked by Ralston on Wednesday night, and just as they were convinced they would find that goal in the Highlands, so too are they steadfast in their belief that they are going to lift the trophy.

“It will be a special occasion for the club, the first chance this season to get a trophy,” he said. “So we’ll be going there focused on what we need to do.

“It’s important now that we rest and recover. We now put our focus on the cup final.

“Everyone involved will want to win and we’ve got the belief that we can win. So we’ll be going there confident.

“We all know the magnitude of the game. But it’s important we go into every game with the same mentality. We’ll be trying our best to win.”

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    Tommy25 and tarboltontim like this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

4. G40B

At 20/21 he could easily have accepted he’s not got it, had himself papped out to a lower league club and faded into obscurity.

Instead he got the head down and proved so many of us wrong.

Any young player on the verge of being cut from Celtic should be looking at Ralston.

eire4 likes this.
  5. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Totally spot on that post and I have to hold my hand up and say I was one of those who said not good enough this summer. Very happy to be so wrong though especially as Ralston is Celtic born and bred and it is always great to see a home ground born and bred Celt make it.

Tommy25 and G40B like this.
  6. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    It’s all about how determined and how much sacrifice you are willing to make to get where you want. Too many Scottish players feel this pressure that they’re the underdogs and in some cases it’s true to an extent when you are talking about facilities and training because Scotland just doesn’t have the money invested or infrastructure.

But if you eat right and train right and don’t allow yourself to fall too much into the party culture then you can make your own future if you want it badly enough.

NomDePlum likes this.
  7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

What a * season he's having...

JC Anton, Tommy25, Rydo1888* and 3 others like this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Some important moments from the main man

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    Tommy25 and NomDePlum like this.
  9. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    If there's anybody who deserve to wins the league, it's this guy.

DonnyCelt, eire4, Tommy25 and 2 others like this.
  10. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He must be buzzing for tomorrow.

On the fringes of the Invincible season but not one of the main players. Has talked about how important playing in this final is for him.

Put himself on the line for the Ross County game to be in contention for this. Hope he gets his reward. Few have done more for the team or Ange this season.

JC Anton, eire4 and Tommy25 like this.
  11. joemc

He has become ange's broony, to come from were he was at the beginning of the season ,and let's just think about it for a moment....... loaned out for seasons injured or not playing ,not standing out for the loan clubs ,contract ticking down and waiting to be off loaded, scaresly any fans thinking he had any chance ,many desperate to see this * ended for both sakes .
    We have a season from * and a total rebuild is needed ,manager replaced and his contract has run out ,he gets a 1 year contract out of desperation on our part through lack of players and stands out in a disjointed squad ,but he has carried this stand out performance right through this season so far with the likes of kyogo and jota grabbing the headlines .
    He has come from forgotten man waiting on the death sentence to arguably our best and most consistent, that doesn't happen to anyone , it takes certain types to do that ,someone with huge belief in themselves and the mental strength and character of a true leader ,I never criticised him infact I felt he was gonna be our tearney on the other side , but years and injuries along with changes to team and manager have not been kind , he has now stepped in ,the spotlight is shining on him and he is now in the theatre of dreams as a star of the show ,well done Tony ralston a true cinderella story and 1 we all can't help but love , a true celt .

12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Cant wait to see him lift that trophy today. A trophy for once he truly played a part in. Not just there for the photos, there because of him. Because of this team. * love ralston.

Tommy25, King of Kings, joemc and 2 others like this.
  13. Benzene Gold Member Gold Member

Absolutely rag dolled them in the corner… Dembele vs Huns esque

Tommy25, Wllm, bagforlife and 2 others like this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    That was amazing btw :56:

Tommy25, Wllm and bagforlife like this.
  15. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    His physical condition has always stood out even when he was 17 he’s a * tank!

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. jambo_cfc

Really thought celtic would struggle to find a right back that had the abilty and passion of lustig for a good few years but all this time he was there , absolute machine

Tommy25 and NomDePlum like this.
  18. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Juranovic was decent but thought we definitely missed him today at RB when attacking.

Everything went up the left hand side and we could have done with his passes out of the back to change that. Also missed his height defending set pieces.

Tommy25 and Liam Scales like this.
  19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Juranovic was involved in a few of our chances today early on.

Tommy25 likes this.
  20. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Ok maybe "Everything" was too strong but still think our attacking up the right was pretty minimal and makes us very lopsided.