1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    When this first clip first came out, this was when I was fully on board.

Had doubts and concerns for awhile before this, slowly he started to convince me, but all the while I was still sure he was a bit of a yes man and had allowed Kennedy and Strachan to be forced on him - ala Deila. But once he done this initial clip, that was me sold on the guy knowing exactly what he was doing and how to go about it, full belief in him.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  2. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Don't want to take this thread off topic, but that's very interesting. While I would have an interest in republicanism, including writers like Pearse, I'm less interested in mythology, so I hadn't heard of this connection before.

George Theodorou likes this.
  3. Mr Cleansheets

FFS, how many C19 romanticists or ancient Greeks ever played for Celtic?

Thread derailed...

4. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Not enough!

5. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    We have a Greek-Australian manager with migrant roots - remember ? We also have Irish-Scots with migrant roots - remember ? That's the connection with this conversation previously. Its a natural progression as a conversation and then it stops. No harm done to the thread, especially at this time of the year.

Celtic should have tried harder to sign Socrates in the 80s :)

6. FairDinkumMate

Socrates has form. Who can forget the famous Monty Python philosophers match where Greek philosophers won 1-0 over the Germans thanks to Socrates diving header from an Archimedes cross in the final minute.

7. Mr Cleansheets

Archimedes' Eureka moment was most amusing.

FairDinkumMate likes this.
  8. Mr Cleansheets

You have a tendency not to get jokes George, but you do mean well.

OziBeerMan and The big Viduka like this.
  9. FairDinkumMate

Personal favourite was Neitzsche getting a yellow for arguing claiming the ref Confucius having no free will.

George Theodorou likes this.
  10. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Clearly Socrates was transferred to Australia because they renamed the game after him :50:

OziBeerMan and Mr Cleansheets like this.
  11. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Socrates also became a paediatrician, the footballer that is.

12. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Pythagoras could hit an accurate diagonal ball.

13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Boss has been talking about how he won't sway from his principles in the UCL.

I think we knew that however I hope we have some tricks up our sleeve. Not talking about parking the bus (he's actually quoted today as saying "I've never owned a bus, mate").

However there has to be a bit of pragmatism. I don't doubt we can score and hurt teams but it's holding onto any leads and staying in games long enough that has been the problem for about 5 or 6 years now. Not just under him.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

ANGE POSTECOGLOU insists he will not compromise on his tactical principles when Celtic are playing against some of the continent's big hitters in the Champions League next season.

The Parkhead club have qualified for the group stages of Europe's top club competition after sealing the Premiership title in the Greek-Australian's first campaign in Scotland.

The 56-year-old has introduced a particular way of playing to his team where the players are encouraged to approach games in a forward-thinking and positive manner.

And Postecoglou insists that Celtic will not attempt to 'park the bus' when competing against a superior opponent.

When asked if he would be tempted to play more defensively against difficult opponents in the Champions League by Australian outlet Stan Sports Football, he replied: "I've never owned a bus, mate.

"I'm sure there'll be - as there has in my whole career - people telling me I need to adjust my approach and temper my aggression.

"I've done pretty well just sticking to it, to be fair, so I'll just keep going."

15. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    When we beat the huns at Ibrox, we defended in the second half unbelievably because we knew we had the players to hold onto that lead. Hit them on the counter and could/should have put the game to bed long before the final whistle came. Ange absolutely told them to sit back and hit them on the counter. He knew they would have to come and try and get the win. He simply has to do the same in Europe. Especially the champions league.

16. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    And I think he will do just that too, when needed. As you say, at Ibrox that was clearly the plan. He's just not going to come out and say "Ok so in the Champions League we're likely to get hammered unless I change my approach, so I'll park the bus" - but he will definitely be a little more pragmatic, while still going for it as much as possible.

Ange is very aware of the effect his words have on the squad. So he's going to publicly back their ability to pull of 'Angeball' against anyone. While, I believe, privately being fully aware that we'll need to be a little more conservative in Europe.

17. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Of course he will. He's a manager. He manages games. If something isn't working midgame, he will change it. The first game against Bodo showed that for me. He tried to play O'Riley and Rogic in the midfield but they played through the press with ease because there wasn't enough in the midfield pressing.

Changed it at halftime and I thought we were a lot better. Hasn't played the two of them in the same game since.

ArturBorucCSC likes this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I agree. But it will be different story against this level of opposition. The Huns were quite predictable in what they were trying to do.

But I do agree that's how we should look to play. And knowing when to play the ball into the channels etc at the right time instead of passing it around the back as the vast majority of teams we come up against in Europe will press us.

See Bodo as an example.

20. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I'd rather use the example of someone like Bayer Leverkusen. The Bodo game, we should have went for it. On paper we were the favourites, Bodo had lost a few boys, we were playing well. We knew they would be a good team but I was fine about going out and attacking them and trying to play our football.

It's what happens when we come up against the Elite Level teams. Your Man City, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Bayern etc. If we draw teams like Porto, Frankfurt, Ajax etc, I want us to have a go. Be pragmatic but don't be afraid.