1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Nowt embarrassing about his interviews and he regularly puts them in their place. Rightly so.

The only thing he can come under criticism for, is he tends to forget that this is where the fans also get their reaction from the manager from, so when it is a bad result, we aren't going to be so entertained by his style of response (although still justified to the reporters). A slight moment to think about the fans when results are negative, is all I would ask.
    Otherwise, constantly show these * up for what they are.

Sydneysider likes this.
  2. Maestro 08

The interviewer was Kenny McIntyre of the BBC who hosts alot of their football output on the radio he also publicly came out as a raging Hun so Ange's response was very pointed and apt tbh. Glad he stuck it to the *. Asking if he looks for their score as soon as he gets off the pitch and then the shock when he says no. What a * line of questioning and a * of a guy. You can guarantee, if he was allowed to ask his gaffer of choice, Gio, he wouldn't be getting asked similar.

Sydneysider likes this.
  3. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
    Do i big man : D : D : D Enjoy your likes

I was upset with the (still) * performance aye - again nothing changed until he changed his tactics

I can't be arsed to reply to a bunch of punters who don't fully read posts in the first place

When he is doing a better job he can hit out with all the smart-arsed comments he likes

martin_d likes this.
  4. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
    This is maybe a better (more sensitive!) way of putting it - although i maintain that he has had some completely out of touch/unnecessary/classless comments as well as some justified - whatever happened to rising above * like this and doing yr talking on the pitch

martin_d and Peej like this.
  5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I agree, when we think about the above as well.
    Things like the response to the Bodo game comes across as poor - because it's on the back of a bad result. But had we won - and he said he didnt much care to follow Bodo any further, then it would have been much more brushed over. Inevitably though, it falls in line with his usual response to questions that are kinda dumb.

Why would the manager of Celtic care for what Bodo do next? I agree, could have been handled better, in a diplomatic sense, but he is still right - what does he care for their next result. Makes no odds to us/him now.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  6. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Don’t like it myself tbh: just makes him look bitter and in total denial that we haven’t been good enough lately. Guy’s comment was fair.

Sticking it to the media is great; trying to pretend that performances have been up to standard is a different thing altogether.

7. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Hard to watch is a very weird thing to say after a 2-0 win though, did the journo ask van bronckhorst that too? Ange hasn’t denied we’ve been underperforming recently but I think he’s well within his rights to give a bit back to the guy when the usual question after a hardfought/close/lucky etc. is “you must be pleased” with that. The whole tone of the journo just sounded like exactly what he said back….disappointed with the result and us getting one at all

Pogues likes this.
  8. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    You have to be joking. He keeps doing it. Gets asked if he’s happy with a performance, and he rarely says no, the Raith first half aside.

There would be very few who wouldn’t be thinking exactly what the guy opened with: ‘We’ve seen some brilliant games, but that certainly wasn’t one of them’. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a garbage excuse for professional journalism, but as a generic comment on the game, it’s hardly an unfair assessment.

* the media anyway. It’s not about them. Like @Peej said above: it’s about the fact that these interviews are his opportunity to communicate with the fans as well; to he accountable to us for the dip in standards of late.

The media in this country is never going to change, and I’m all for the manager giving them it tight. I just want to see him do it in a way that doesn’t feel like he’s trying to pull the wool over our eyes for what was another under par performance.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  9. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Ffs, what do you want him to do? Come out and bag the winning performances? Create a negative environment? All because we are going through a dip in form?

He’s come out numerous times and said our finishing needs to be more clinical etc. There’s a fine line between reality and unnecessarily creating a negative environment.

Look at the huns, they’ve had their “honest” moments and publicly criticised each other while on top of the league. How’s that worked out for them?

He batted away a * of a question in an Aussie way. If you honestly think he’s pulling the wool over your eyes, then you don’t understand he’s actually protecting his players publicly and would be speaking to his players privately. It’s called having the back of your players.

The_Bhoy, 4EVERBHOY and Pogues like this.
  10. MAP

This.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  11. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Aye, alright. As though you have to explain cultural frankness on a forum packed with folk from the west of Scotland. :56:

…and as though most other successful managers in the world don’t manage to get a balance between protecting their players and being accountable to the fans. They do, and that’s exactly what we should be expecting of him too.
    He’s not some total genius who is beyond accountability. Yes, he’s done very well - unfeasibly well - so far, but he owes us an honest explanation for what have been some baffling decisions and underpar displays of late.

There’s positive thinking, and there’s “alternative facts”. He’s skating close to the latter these days. ‘Nothing wrong with performances’, ‘I thought we played our football’.
    If he genuinely thought that about recent games (which, let’s be honest, he 100% can’t surely), I’d want him nowhere near the club.

Just because he rightly isn’t panicking (and rightly shows contempt for the media) doesn’t mean he doesn’t owe us as the fans some explanation for recent showings.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    McKagan likes this.
  12. Pogues

The question itself, particularly as it was the first comment, was bordering on being disrespectful and ange put him in his place.

Doesn't do any harm for these journos to know ange can be a hard interview and that they won't get away with lazy * questions.

The_Bhoy and craigtheceltic like this.
  13. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Instead of blaming players, other top managers normally blame anyone else other than themselves. Sick of that moaning * Klopp, but he doesn’t care what I think of him because he’s deflected all the attention away from his teams performance to the schedule, to the referees or insert a myriad of excuses other than blaming the team.

But as you’ve seen, Ange doesn’t use excuses, he won’t let excuses be part of the culture. If you think he’s going to message the fans through hun media, the same one asking the stupidest of stupid questions trying to erode Celtic, I don’t get your thought process because it doesn’t make sense to use a vehicle you can’t control.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  14. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Sorry, where I did say anything about ‘blaming players’? It’s not just the players that are to blame here. I know that behind closed doors he’ll be taking responsibility, but he owes it to us to come out and say that as well.

And this ‘he doesn’t make excuses’ thing is beginning to wear out a bit as well. Ok, he doesn’t blame external factors, to his credit, but he doesn’t take responsibility for personal mistakes an awful lot.
    ‘It was just our finishing’ is the sort of half-truthful, papering over the cracks kind of deflection I’m talking about here. That pretty much is an excuse. It takes the spotlight off of what have been generally poor performances in several areas and pins it on the final third, and by obvious implication (quite against the point you’re making) his forwards for not doing well enough there.

Edit: As for the bit in bold, of course it makes sense to subvert a controlling and manipulative media. You do that with frank honesty, which is harder to twist.
    Ange has done that really well on a number of occasions, but rarely in a way that shows the fans anything other than ‘chin up, we actually did well. Youse are just wrong, that’s all.’

15. MAP

So you've made a careful analysis of "most other successful managers in the world" that has led you to this conclusion, and you're asking that we support your view on this; I'll decline thanks, little too much entitlement for me.

As for owing you something (I'm ignoring the fact you have decided that you speak "for the fans"), I suspect keeping players happy/protecting players is very much higher on his agenda than justifying his view on games to online posters on an internet forum (let alone one who thinks he's a liar and shouldn't be at the club).

It doesn't take much to think back to last season, and when I contrast that with where the club is at the moment, I'll take the manager warts and all. I don't doubt he'd be the first to admit he isn't perfect.

16. celtic warrior

I've got no problem with him not giving away anything in interviews either pre or post match.

Maybe I'm kissing * but I just feel that the way he delivers his messages are genuine and can be trusted. We've already heard it in Raith game during the match that if he don't like something.....by lord you will * hear it.

He's seems like someone to me who considers the situation and sees no point in dragging players by the balls in the media when he's already done/doing in training/dressing room.

craigtheceltic and The_Bhoy like this.
  17. Pogues

Just enjoy the fact he's doing well mate. The whole media thing is just a circus and as a manager he needs to know how to play them, which I think he's been good at so far.

Your suggestion of frank honesty is pie in the sky stuff. If he was to do that he'd be throwing some of our players under a bus after nearly every game.

MAP and craigtheceltic like this.
  18. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I’d rather him doing that any day than a * like Lenny playing no strikers in a champions league qualifier then daring to blame half the squad publicly for us going out cos they all want to move onto other clubs. (Which btw is 80% of our squad every season so makes that comment even worse!)

19. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    You too have spoken about protecting players, IMO the opposite to that is blaming players and yes I know the players aren’t the only responsible ones. As I’ve said, Klopp will divert the excuses to external, but Ange doesn’t do that. He doesn’t generally throw players under a bus, although as I’ve pointed out he will make pointed comments.

With regards to our finishing, the stats showed in our home Bodo game that we had more chances. The game where I think from memory he had a shot at the final third, was the 0-0(?) and the stats showed we had more chances.

I don’t know if it was you or another poster, but someone had a crack that Ange is becoming like a host of other managers, and named those managers. The names managers contributed to 9 in a row and a host of trebles including the quadruple treble. What that says to me is that although there are high standards at Celtic, people here don’t appreciate and enjoy what they’ve got.

That last point was why I took an extended break from this forum. The negativity and toxicity from some(yes read some, not all, and before you all pile on, have a proper think about it, are you just venting or are you being proper negative and toxic, if you don’t think you’ve been proper negative and toxic then it’s not aimed at you) is ridiculous.

Surely you can see that not everything has to come out in the media? Everyone here was all over the huns at the first sign of cracks with their frank honesty. But that’s what you want?

MAP likes this.
  20. Big Marn

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ange Fenian Song
    That moron asked him about the huns score, as if he will respond with 'yeah, got the score, wasn't it great?' Ange also knows who that reporter was and where he is coming from with regard to the questioning in the interview.