1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MAP

I agree; I don't care what the league table says.

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  2. celtic warrior

Not to fully absolve him of any criticism but is it maybe telling that he doesn't have his own team when assisting with the coaching?

3. scootz

I'm genuinely intrigued to know how you 'build a team to peak near the end of the season'.

Sounds like wankspeak to me!

4. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Hard to dispute given you appear to be an expert on that.

joemc, HTG and JC Anton like this.
  5. scootz

Thanks. x

joemc and NomDePlum like this.
  6. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    We've been pish since we pumped the hun, come on big man get the finger oot!

7. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    The amount of garbage in here is crazy. Sure we have been bad for 4-5 games, but the turnaround he have made is nothing else but incredible. Im not saying that he is immune to critique but some comments in here is nothing short of ridiculous.

How the whole team all of a sudden plays like St Mirren is worrying. I do agree on that. Way tp early to say, but if he has lost the dressing room, we are in huge trouble because no manager that loses a dressing room has any chance of surviving.

8. Lewis Kerr

Mate I've bigged up Ange probably more than anyone on here. After we beat sevco I was worshipping the ground he walked on. I saw massive improvements pretty much from the CL qualifiers compared to Lennon's * in previous seasons. The way he's turned us around so fast is unbelievable. Our peak performances this season have excited me more than anything since 2016/17.

However..

There is cause for concern. Namely:

- Our current form. The last 5 or 6 games we've been bad. Like really bad. The Bodo debacle was the worst I've seen us under Ange. Hibs yesterday wasn't much better. That's a fair run of games man.

- The squad looks burnt out, demotivated and passive. Everyone looks * all of a sudden. Its bizarre. This needs to be addressed and rectified, fast.

- When his plan A does not work, we have no other plan. This is extremely concerning. Bodo's manager schooled Ange in a way that verged on embarrassment. Imagine what CL level managers would do to him? We simply cannot play every game in the manner he expects us to. When it works it's electrifying. When it doesn't, its no different from the muck that was served up last year. There needs to be a flexibility or at least an acknowledgement to try something else.

- We've won the majority of games this season by a 1 goal deficit. While not entirely problematic, it definitely says something about our inability to create/finish chances and kill games off. We've struggled against a low block ALL season with little improvement on how to navigate it. A lot of games have been nail-biting slogs. Too many. I want more goals. * it, just more comfortable wins would be nice.

Like I said I'm fully on the Ange bus but I won't turn a blind eye to obvious problems that I see manifesting.

9. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    A few issues with his comments:
    Ange mentioned the ball didn’t go our way. You make your own luck as the saying goes, tbh I don’t think we done nearly enough.

He’s bemoaning a resolute hibs parking the bus. Welcome to Scottish football where many teams do that against us due to the gulf in finances and playing squad. It’s not something new and it’s your job to circumvent that. And if he thinks hibs will be the last team to do it, he’s got another thing comin.

He then mentions the state of the pitch is not conducive to swift passing football or the way we normally play. Again, welcome to Scotland where not every pitch is like a carpet. Your job Ange is to apply tactics and ideas to circumvent that.

It is NOT the opposition’s priority to play open football just so our superior team can exploit the gaps.

Ange must find a plan B. And arguably even a C. The sideways * and lack of penetration was demoralising. More directness and better pass and movement from forward players is needed.

So don’t complain an opponent sat deep. You earn your crust by comin up with creative ways to generate chances. Look at our corners. We get at least 10 per game and do * all with them. When games are tight or we’re struggling, these could be the difference maker. Why not work on them??

I find his comments a bit like our team on Sunday - devoid of ideas.

Sort it out Ange.

PS - 1 sub on Sunday!! What does that tell the players on the bench? Poor management imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Fair enough. Can’t argue with any of you’re points mate

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

11. Mr Cleansheets

Where was Giakoumakis for the Hibs game?

It was doing my head in seeing all those crosses go over Maeda.

12. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    This thread is * rancid as *.

Talking about Ange like hes been here 4 years.

Dannybhoy81, Rydo1888*, MAP and 6 others like this.
  13. thefutebollover

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota and Kyogo
    People need to relax a bit with the HIGHS and LOWS here. Control your emotions. Look at the big picture, go over every game and work out how many good/bad there have been. You may notice that Ange is doing well. Celtic lost the league by 25 points last season? Now 3 points ahead.. lets put things into perspective.

14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Apparently he was sick. Ange said he should be ok for tomorrow though which given we likely will face another packed backline is great news. I felt we really missed his physical presence in and around the box big time on Sunday.

15. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Frankly, the crosses should have been measured for Maeda, seeing GG was not on the pitch.

16. Mr Cleansheets

They were great crosses beating the crucial defenders, but Maeda is not built for headers.

17. Mr Cleansheets

Sorry, some were great... some were *.

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Love Ange, but his comments after Hibs weren't accurate, as we were dire and didn't look like scoring..

However, what he says to the press and to the players will differ to a degree, surely..

We've had some tough games after the break, Huns, Aberdeen away, two trips to Edinburgh and only dropped 2pts, which is league winning form..

However, we need a performance tomorrow as much as the result I feel, get back to playing 'our football' which hasn't been evident since the 1st half at Pittodrie..

19. Pogues

As he's said quite a few times, we're a work in progress and still have a way to go to get to the levels he wants. I can see better players coming in during the summer so I think the improvements will continue.

If you look at our league form since pumping Sevco. Destroyed motherwell away, good performance. Beat Aberdeen away, good first half poor second half.
    Beat Dundee at home with, bar conceding two soft goals, was not a bad performance.
    Yesterday was poor certainly, but we know Easter road is a hard place to go and, on a positive, at no time did we look like losing.

The bodo games were disappointing but the tie was lost in the first leg with probably our worst display of the season. Our big players just didn't turn up and credit to them, they were a good team and played us well.

The form of the likes of rogic, who has been really poor, is a wee concern, but I think he'll bounce back.

Basically, not all doom and gloom mate, I think we're in good hands and, as I say, improvements will continue.

20. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Too many folk expecting miracles because we clicked as a squad so quickly.

Couple that with some superb signings, and a sevco demolition; people are now expecting to us to blow teams away every week. Spitting the dummy when we dont get it.

We had some truly DIRE performances in our invincible season too. Exactly like hibs. Where nothing was coming off and actual chances were few and far between. Newsflash... We didnt win every game. We had some performances and results almost identical to Hibs on Sunday.

As I stated earlier in the thread; we see these results EVERY SEASON.

People are reading far too much into the bodo result also.

So for the UMPTEENTH time. We're a work in progress. Still needing new additions, still needing the full fitness and settled mentality of our new players, and still nowhere near the finished article.

I wouldnt like to be waiting at a * bus stop with half the "posters" on this thread.