1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

This.

The guy has managed one of the busiest transfer windows in recent memory, negotiated a tough tie against an impressive Alkmaar side and other than a couple of poor results with a injury decimated squad has lifted the mood and the standard of football within a couple of months.

All this while the board have been sitting on their arses not getting deals done, undermining the CEO that THEY hired and treating the fans with usual contempt as they milk the cash with false promises.

Back the Aussie *.

James Mc and JC Anton like this.
  2. Kiro Kompiro

Juranovic played 26 minutes. McCarthy a half. Abada been injured and coming back. McGregor not playing. Edoaurd was in and now out for good. Christie in and gone. Jota is a new signing. Kyogo is out. Soro is in and out. Left back is not up for debate-its been settled. There isn't one.

3. oh bhoy

I would judge a manager on how good they are in their moments of adversity .yeah he has players out but his system should be robust enough to withstand that and if not he should be able to adapt even mid-game and grind out a win.we are still the big spenders in the league the reserves, players like ajeti should be more than capable of beating livi,Dundee utd.
    Ange needs to get on a winning run immediately

4. Kiro Kompiro

They were third. The J-League is not a two horse race so third is not a failure. Had a win rate of almost 50% over the 3 seasons. Klopp's for comparison is 53%. Muscat has already acknowledged the fortunate foundation he was left with

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    About right for me as well.

We are badly missing McGregor and Kyogo, but the rest of the team the last few games need to be doing better.

Hart
    Juranovic, Starfelt, CCV, Scales*
    Turnbull, McGregor
    Rogic
    Abada, Kyogo, Jota
    For me, clearly the starting 11. Taylor for Scales would seem to have been Ange preference. But I can't believe either is ideal for him either.

Bain
    Ralston, Welsh, Julien, Taylor
    Soro, McCarthy
    Midfielder
    Forrest, Giakoumakis, Mikey
    A second 11, which other than the Attacking Midfield option being really up for grabs(you'd probably be taking one of Rogic or Turnbull, with a fringe option elsehwere to fill in), is a strong 11 as well - on paper.

Add to that;
    Barkas, Boli, Montgomery, Bitton, Shaw, Henderson, Dembele, Ajeti - should all be fighting for their chance as well.
    No excuses for there not being enough players at a level to do better against Livi and United. We know they aren't all our desired level, but they should all be either better than the rest of the league or at least hungry enough to improve and put a shift in.

29 players available in the starting 11, excuses for game to game performances lie with the manager and the players - not the board.

6. MAP

They were 2nd on the ladder with a heap of games in hand.

7. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Worth making myself clear, I love Ange, and I pray he turns it around because our football early on in the league campaign was absolutely fantastic, and was the best I've seen in years. It was against duff teams aye, but we pumped teams under Lennon and the football wasn't anywhere near as good.

I'd also much rather the board were hounded out rather than Ange, and blame them for 99% of the mess we're currently in.

At the same time, Ange should still be beating Livingston and Dundee United, and must beat Aberdeen on Sunday. Rangers are terrible this season and can be got at.

greengrocer likes this.
  8. MAP

Nah. I think most were probably sitting back smugly thinking Big Ange has got a gig managing the mighty Celtic; he's likely to be in that position for some time; and there's not a thing any salty, moaning Scottish Celtic supporter can do about it.

9. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    There is a middle ground here between "* off Ange is *" and "back him it'll be * for a while until he settles"

It is a tough time right now as it is a transitional period from the * up that was last season and the wholesale changes of the squad and a load of injuries at the same time.

The board are * and * things up with the late appointment and slow recruitment of players, the late sales of key players not being replaced properly either has not helped as we are even thinner now and we really haven't replaced like for like, a lot of the replacements are "projects" we missed our chance to get the free agent signings in early, missed out on so many of our alleged targets, had big change in the boardroom twice with Dom coming and going.

Ange should not be free from criticism, the recent droped points in the league have been well below the expected level, the team that was out should have done better. We are not seeing an improvement in defense yet and we really should be it's still simple mistakes that we are conceeding from, I can't think of too many where they really had to work for it.

He's to rigid in his tactics and I personally have not seen much on what effect he has changing things during a match. You cannot just have a single system in modern football, you need to be able to adapt, yes you have your main system but need to adapt, especially when things are not working and you have a lack of bench.

He picks the team including the bench, yes there's a lack particularly up top, but that goes back to changing the system as you need, we have youth, bring them in and use them just to be that option or change things up elsewhere to better use those you have.

I'm not a fan of just sacking the manager it would mean Kennedy or Strachan incharge and we don't want either to be incharge. Ange does need to get things improving fast, I don't care too much for tonight but the Aberdeen game is key and we should be winning that. The international break may actually help us for once with its timing but it's key afterwards for how we come out firing

10. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I'd love to know what a different manager would do that Ange isn't already trying. It's the same *, injury plagued squad, same over rated untouchable assistant manager and backroom staff.

Blame the manager all you like but the short sightedness is absolutely staggering, fans more worried about der hun 'getting 40 million' or 'he's celtics Pedro'

Some of you need to stop visiting hun forums or hun social media. (Will never understand why fans do that anyway, lurk and read their bile) You knew there was a rebuild needed, you knew it wouldn't take weeks to rectify, yet you think that somehow the changes that have been put into place would miraculously start bearing fruit after 6 games ....... I'm guessing that's why your on forums and not managing a football team.

11. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Our squad, even with injuries, is better than the vast majority of our league.

If players aren't scoring, take them off and try something different.

How long do we put it on the players and not on Ange?

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Why did he sign Scales then if he’s not deemed good enough to start at left back?

Deflect all you want but that team at the weekend was a couple players short of our strongest team.

13. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    A win rate of almost 50% won’t be good enough here unfortunately.
    Neil Lennon, surprisingly, was at 70% for his second spell and we all quite rightly wanted him gone long before he was eventually punted.
    I really hope Ange is successful here but comparisons to Klopp and terms like football genius are just ridiculous.

14. James Gold Member Gold Member

Ange has decided to keep the assistants on or so we're to believe. Trying to downplay the fact automatic qualification is up for grabs this year is utterly bizarre of course that would be a huge advantage to whoever gets it.

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Spot on.

Praying it works out for him, but there’s too many excuses being made by some.

He’s had rotten luck with injuries, but he’s had more than enough quality on the pitch to beat Livi and Dundee United.

HTG likes this.
  16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Why are you bringing Klopp into the argument?

He’s managing in a league with teams who can spend £100 million on players. He took over a team who hadn’t won the league in what, 25 years or so? Their win rate was always going to be average over the first couple seasons.

I admit I don’t know much about the J-League but a win percentage of 50% in that league doesn’t sound particularly good.

17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Not related to Ange specifically, but the modern/progressive tag always strikes me as a bit odd in football management.
    How long would you tolerate being mid table domestically for?

18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

I honestly don't believe for one minute that he had any say in the matter tbh, could you picture him telling the Board that he didn't want dumb and dumber ?

I think keeping JK and laptop was part of the condition for any incoming manager, hence the reason why Howe turned it down.

Noskeil, Free the Adblock and James like this.
  19. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Utter * *. I'm sorry, but that is one pile of *.
    Ange's mission wasn't to accumulate points ? That's the * problem, he doesn't want to win. All his 'rather draw 4-4, than win 1-0' bullshit quotes are a nonsense, a parody. What kind of manager would rather draw than win ? Certainly not a genius anyway.

Genius manager - he has a win ratio of 50%, and was sitting 8th or some * when he won the lottery and got the city group job. I mean Celtic job.
    He doesn't deserve 18 months minimum, he earns it. And right now, he's miles off it.

oh bhoy likes this.
  20. James Gold Member Gold Member

I don't believe it for a second either. I also don't think he had a huge say in the majority of the players that were brought in. He's essentially the boards human shield

The Prof likes this.