1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think Ange should have done an Eddie Howe, too. It would help us fans a lot in eliminating the board. He must know the value of proper medical/fitness staff, especially in a high-press system. I've no idea why does he lower his own stock by continuing in a doomed job.

martin_d likes this.
  2. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Mate, in this post you have just made more feasible, hypothetical suggestions than postecoglou has probably even considered:56:.Do you fancy a job?

Even a marginally less mediocre manager would try "something". You're correct in that we don't have the resources, right now, to rotate effectively but tactical changes can be employed even without changing personnel. They also don't have to be as black and white as attacking or defensive, high lines or deep lines, passing or long. Tactical changes can be subtle, changing a players starting position, his off ball runs etc. Or they could be big, like changing formation but retaining the same style and ethos.

352 isn't a bad shout tbh. Abada doesn't need to drop out there. He goes up top with ajeti, sub rogic off for either Welsh or scales and use jota as a floating 10, let the full backs be wing backs, ralston and Montgomery are young and quick enough to get up and down the wings. Not saying that it would definitely have worked over the last 2 games but it would at least have given the opposition something to think about and not just know exactly what they have to do to stop us from minute 1 to minute 90.

bhoy81 likes this.
  3. Kiro Kompiro

In his eyes this is Celtic here, one of the truly great names in club football, and an honor to manage, and he might have taken as a given that the backroom support staff would be there in place already.

Its a big ask for someone to come in make enemies right off the bat.

4. JamesM09

I think there's a lot of points to make here.

Firstly, it has little to do with results and circumstances for the board when it comes to sacking a manager. It's about themselves.

Lennon was the board's man, so they would give him all the leeway in the world, which we saw last season. He was still singing their praises after he was let go, they were desperate not to lose him. Ange has criticised the board already and is obviously not going to sing from the same hymn sheet. They will not hesitate to remove him in the same way, trust me on that.

Secondly, this thing about Ange's super special type of football needing a year to 'come good' is a lot of *. It's just a meaningless statement that gets passed about and repeated.

It might take a year to reach its full potential, which makes sense, but the notion a system of playing football can't get results against inferior players until 12 calendar months have passed and millions upon millions of pounds have been spent is quite ridiculous. Rodgers had a similar style and went invincible - so let's stop this lazy excuse. It's beginning to sound childish.

Last point - I would say Ange is on a knife edge in his Celtic career because if he goes on a 6 or 7 game run and players come back I think he will kick on and achieve here.

On the other hand, if he drops points in the next two games, we'll be just shy of 25% of the way through the season, in the bottom half of the table 9-12 points behind the huns and without a win in 4 games and no confidence we would win the upcoming games.

Now, that's obviously a hypothetical just like saying he will win the next 6 or 7 games, but can anyone really say it would be harsh if he was removed in those circumstances? I'm not even saying I want him gone, but people are on a different planet if they think in that position we would be harsh to remove him just because it feels early.

5. James Gold Member Gold Member

Unfortunately we weren't playing cross bar challenge and see that striker that missed from 2 yards and was anonymous for the most part he somehow played the full game. This weird notion that Ange can do no wrong is weird there is currently 4 managers above him with a miniscule budget by comparison and a much worse squad who are outperforming him

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  6. JamesM09

He really should've made a couple of phone calls before taking the job like Eddie Howe clearly did.

I actually think he probably did but just took the opportunity anyway. Let's face it, if we weren't a toxic riot Ange wouldn't have been considered for the job.

7. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He's made enemies of players before, at clubs he managed. Why be so civil with a board that aren't backing him? If he fails here, but refuses to shift the blame on the board, his reputation won't be great, in European terms.

8. Sin

For the record I never wanted Lennon back, I posted on here many times that he should never have gotten the job again, I was also posting a few weeks into the season that he needing punting.

We do have a lot of injuries but the squad that is fit is more than enough to be doing better than they are.
    It does remind me about Lennon though, people saying to give him a few more months to turn it around........

9. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Great post.

I don’t think anybody was expecting a Rodgers like turnaround here, and even less so after the transfer window we had. Still though, we should be doing better, even with the injuries.

The idea that’s it’s simply going to click at the 12 month stage isn’t realistic. It might take 12 months for us to see the best of it, but you would expect incremental improvement along the way.

Agree re the Lennon sacking too. A big reason why he was kept for so long is that he was very much the boards choice of appointment, and they then doubled down in that choice when fans protested outside the stadium. It wasn’t as simple as letting a failing manager go for them, it was an acceptance (even if not openly stated) that they’d got it wrong, and they wanted to avoid that. I have no idea where Ange fits in that, but I would imagine sacking him would be far easier for them if he was seen as Dom’s man.

That said, I don’t want him sacked and think any talk of it is premature. October is massive for him though. He has to turn things around and quickly, realistically ensuring that we’re no further behind domestically and have looked at least competitive in the Europa. Fans are still on his side, but it won’t last unless there’s a sizeable shift in performances and results.

10. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Comparing Lennon inheriting Rodgers high flying team full of talent, slowly decimating it to a guy who’s got his hands tied round his back with injuries and a lack of any professional set up :56: don’t see any benefit to getting rid of ange... who do we get in? If a new manager came in would that instantly make half the team jump off the injury table all of a sudden.:56: Crack pots

Kiro Kompiro likes this.
  11. StevieBhoooy!

Having calmed down a bit since yesterday…. I suppose one of the good positives is that even with a well depleted squad… we are creating chances. But you don’t get goals and points for hitting the wood.
    We HAVE to get it sorted.

The table looks ridiculous. Sixth place with a GD of +12 . I think that’s another encouragement though … we have dropped points but only by one goal or no goals … yet we can dish out some serious doings. While those matches are enjoyable… I’d rather have those goals shared out across our games and get the wins however narrow. If they they were we would be sat at the top and perhaps on full points. (Enough hindsight)

Way too early to concede that the league is gone… but we need to keep a grip of this and not drop any more points for the foreseeable.

One big difference to last season is that Hertz and Hibs are right in it at the moment. They WILL take points from Sevco … but of course can take points off us as well.

We have got to sort the injury situation out. The frequency of the international breaks is utterly frustrating with players needing the domestic periods between them just to recover if injured. I know it’s not our way… but id like to see a bit of ‘injury management’ when it comes to international duty. Players like CalMac maybe just recovered in time to head off with Scotland to get another injury is no good for Celtic.

Ange has improvements in himself to make though… and quickly. We have (even depleted) better players than the vast majority of those above us in the table yet we are the ones in 6th place.

He has to get settled players in settled positions that work and stop the erratic selections and formations, 6/7/8 league games into the season is not the time for experimenting. He also needs to adapt tactics within games and to make changes to suit (and at the right time) and that can turn a loss into a draw and a draw into a win. That’s what distinguishes the best managers from the rest.

12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I'm all for giving Ange time but things are not looking good, i don't see him being able to turn things around and go on a winning run, yesterday was another shocking performance, yes the squad is decimated with injuries, but we should still have more than enough to beat dundee utd at CP.

Every game we play there are massive gaps in our defence, way too much space on the wings for the opposition to play into, these tactics are not working and will continue to cost us.

We can talk about when players come back from injury or the January transfer window, but that won't make Ange a better manager, his philosiphy on the game will still be the same, the lack of his own backroom team is also proving to be a major problem, as we knew it would be.

Even this early in the season, every domestic game is a must win, any more slip ups and the League will be gone, that is if it isn't already.

bhoy81, Sgt Neppers*, Peej and 2 others like this.
  13. Kiro Kompiro

This is the biggest club (and it IS a big club) he has managed though.

True.

JamesM09 likes this.
  14. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He needs to set himself up for success, and simply being obedient won't cut it. Considering his system is very demanding, he must be very demanding of the board. Otherwise, Celtic will be the biggest club he will ever manage.

15. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

I’ve answered you in bold and the rest is utter waffle cause you can’t answer what I said so you are going off on a tangent.

16. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    His post is utter madness and goes off tangent constantly cause he can’t answer my reply.
    :56:

rudebhoy67 likes this.
  17. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Aye true…but you also might have a manager who will be animated and constantly barking instructions to the players on the pitch, and one who will try something/anything when everyone can see that nothings working in the 2nd half of a game

18. celtic warrior

I'm not going off on a tangent.

What has Ajeti done to prove he's better? Wear our crest? He's largely been guff.

My point is clear, we could have the best 11 in the league, but if that is all we have, then that quality can easily be got at if they have, even at their levels, better rotation of players because despite all of our qualities, our guys will be overplayed.

What exactly can Ange change right now?

What?

Who?

The drop off in quality we have is rotten, guys like Ralston, Murray, Taylor, Montgomery, Shaw, Osaze, Scales wouldn't look out of place in any other spfl squad but right now, they are not celtic quality.

Right now this is the weakest celtic 11 in my memory.

What formation does Ange play to better suit Ajeti, does that then mean a drop off from Jota or Abada, does it mean changing the midfield and dropping Rogic for Soro, so he has Soro and McCarthy in the middle with Turnbull? Does he drop Turnbull for Rogic and go with what I just mentioned.

Does he go 3 at the back and play Abada as a striker (I'd take a bet that fans eould fume at the idea after the attempts of previous managers trying similar with guys like Mikey).

Going 3 at the back does that mean Jota is dropped because he offers no defensive cover?

How exactly does Ange change things up, who does he pick over who already is starting to change things, formation? Tell the team to control less if the possession? Be more direct to Ajeti? Play slower build up play?

If anyone isn't answering anything its you.

Kiro Kompiro likes this.
  19. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Yes he did. He had a subs bench he could’ve used
    Bitton instead of soro may have made a difference
    Moffat could’ve got a half hour cameo and changed the game
    Let’s be honest, despite a weak bench, the players on it couldn’t have been as bad or worse than the * already on the park

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  20. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Aye cos constantly “barking” instructions is gony change much :56: