1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Tbh he sounds like lennon going by his stubbornness and seems like he could be aggressive

2. anthony valletta

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom rogic
    Not aggressive at all… waaaay to intelligent for that trust me.. very deep thinker very calculated on every move he makes. I actually think that he will be a very good fit for Celtic FC he will most certainly shed the inferiority complex that Celtic have in European competitions.. he’s very big on that.

Blochairnbhoy and The big Viduka like this.
  3. anthony valletta

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom rogic
    Please don’t compare him to Lennon chalk and cheese.. hopefully you’ll find out

seanm likes this.
  4. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Does he have a spine? Lennon had no spine when it came to Brown, Forrest, CalMac, Christie to name a few, players who even if in a run of poor form, still started every week when fit.

For example, I love Rogic (as you can see with my username), but would he be ruthless to drop him if he was in poor form even though they had a previous working relationship together? Is he fair?

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    Maestro 08 and seanm like this.
  5. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Read that he seems to have a proper clear out as soon as he gets a new job and gets rid of any bad apples etc.

At least if he’s only here for a few month he’ll empty a few *.

The Phoenix and seanm like this.
  6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    AngeBall.

5F38E38B-94DC-4F93-A9AE-8B9A638A7107.jpeg

craigtheceltic likes this.
  7. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    2-1 he’s back in :36:

8. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    99.9% of Celts wouldn't want either of them. Ever.

9. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Nah i disagree somewhat.he is not as volatile with media as people think.
    He just cant tolerate fools.
    He was on this sportshow here. I will see if i can get some footage.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  10. VT8

Aussie guy so definitely some bias here. I think if Ange gets the backing, he'll get rid of any deadwood, instill an aggressive winning mentality, while playing some very beautiful football.

When he first came to Brisbane Roar after his hiatus from the Australian youth national team and some random Greek third division side, I remember thinking "Why did we hire this * failure of a coach". But the way he changed the culture of the team as well as playing some great attacking and possession based football over the few years he was here was amazing to experience as a fan.

Since his comeback at Brisbane, the man has done nothing but great things for Australian football (club and international level) and is still in my opinion very underappreciated by everyone here in Australia.

I understand the scepticism as he is a "no-name Aussie guy" but if he comes in, I will be tuning in and I can't wait to see what he is capable of with a decent budget and quality players under his disposal.

11. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

12. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    100% he would drop him
    Rogic struggled to cement a start in national team.lf not in form you dont play.ange dont give a * about reputations

13. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
  14. Mr. Slippyfist

A puppet rolled out by the “masonic” over lord Mr Peter Lawwell.

No surprise, that Open Goal podcast is actually owned by, none other than Lawwell’s son :34:

15. McKagan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ralston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go home ya huns
    Seen nothing so far to suggest that this dude would be anything but a complete and utter disaster. Mind you if he's as strong-willed as people are saying he won't accept the * job lol

John Bhoy79, AdamRS and seanm like this.
  16. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
  17. Foley1888

Barring the obvious unknown nature of Ange and fact he has never managed in Europe there’s a couple of things that worry me seeing these videos of passing out from the back.

One of them is if we get that game going teams just sit in and let our defence and defensive mid just knock the ball about between them, we saw this the longer Rodgers was here. What was once high pressing quick possession based football turned into taking half an hour to get the ball past the half way line or aimless side to side passing with no penetration. It sounds like Ange’s experience to date is leagues where teams actually come at each other, likewise internationals, we have the complete opposite for the majority of the time where teams are compact, don’t really press and sit in a low block. Even playing them this season they have done that half the time. So that is a concern.

In terms of comparisons he sounds a bit like Bielsa, who I loved watching his Bilbao team but at the same time he hadn’t really won much or managed a team expected to win a league until Leeds in the Championship and that took two seasons, Ange won’t get that kind of time here without getting chased, particularly given the current atmosphere.

There’s also shades of Delia about this appointment it will be interesting to see if any of his own assistants are brought in. If not we are doomed from the start as our own coaching staff then need to get used to his methods, never mind the players.

In terms of a clear out that will be easy as anyone decent wants to leave anyway. It’s more who comes in to replace them if Ange has no experience of the European markets.

Lastly and I admit it is from the limited information I can find, he sets up in a type of 4-2-3-1 formation which we used to have success with but have found it to not work as well for us for the last couple of seasons domestically. I also worry about the philosophy of outscoring the opposition and lack of focus on defence as we badly need someone to sort out our defending at set pieces and positional sense generally. That was something that massively impressed me about the Slavia Prague team and coach vs them where they clearly all knew their job and the weaknesses of their opposition. You only need watch last nights CL final to see the importance of understanding your opponents approach in modern day football.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to outline my concerns and explain them rather than just stick the boot in.

18. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Actually think this guy would put Gerard and co in place. No nonsense, no favouritism. Aggressive attacking Football..not my first choice by far but let's see, certainly next season in Scottish football will be exciting that's for sure. If he is stubborn then maybe hopefully will bite back at the board if they start telling him what to do.

Let's see what he can do before criticising him.

19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

20. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    To add to the bolded part, it's worth noting that Australian climate is completely different to Scotland's. Postecoglou can get away with keeping the ball on the deck, because the pitch is not soaked, wherever he plays. Pitches are easier to maintain down under- they don't need fancy drainage systems or heating. Japan has fierce rains, but oddly enough, it's mostly in the summer- spring, autumn and winter are drier. English and Scottish traditional football are suited to the prevailing weather patterns, and I have no idea if Postecoglou can adapt his ideas.