1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Kiro Kompiro

yeah with what players and for how long has he had with them? There isn't even a proper LB in the squad, the RB is playing at career best form and he cocked it up for the first goal, and the CB's have looked shaky all season.

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

With regards him waiting until 55 mins to bring on McCarthy it was clear that they’d agreed prior he’d get the last half hour and he was brought on as quickly as he possibly could have been.

McCarthy is crying out for minutes in his legs, he’s not ready to be playing even an hour against Betis in the Europa.

In terms of other subs, the lack of options was as clear as day.

craigtheceltic and Taz like this.
  3. AussieGreek

Let's hope that Ange can now have the time to actually coach a settled squad, something he has not had a single time since arriving.

4. stevoEOS

Both, but more so the former.

5. Kiro Kompiro

Right. McCarthy is Ange's recruit. Soro isn't. Ange likely saw Soro was not going to cut it when he got to the club, so brought McCarthy in. He also knows McCarthy's fitness level and how many minutes he has in his legs. We don't.

6. Belgian_lad

how long have you watched football? Greece won the Euro's with a mediocre team with good organisation, even the huns went all the way to the finals with parking the bus for a full tournament. Have you seen the teams in the Euro lg, they are not all there because of free flowing football lol. Some did it with hard graft and good organisation against teams of higher quality. Thats the beauty about football, weaker teams DO qualify or beat better teams...

AdamRS likes this.
  7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Mccarthy wont be match fit yet. He needs more game time to reach the level of sharpness needed and he hasnt been afforded that yet.

I dont think this was the match to put him in from the start. Id imagine he will start on Sunday. Remember he spent a large amount of pre season without a club.

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It was a terrible decision not to bring McCarthy on earlier, purely because Soro looked very likely to be red carded and could have easily been booked again not long after his first booking..

A half-fit McCarthy would have been better than trying to play with 10, you could see a red coming a mile.

Mr. Slippyfist likes this.
  9. Kiro Kompiro

Been watching 45 years. Greece was awful to watch. Red Star Belgrade was another one who won the European Cup playing the same way. How many others have won tournaments playing that way? its a once in blue moon event That's pretty much it. Besides, Celtic don't have the players to play like Atletico Madrid.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Win the league, and one cup. However, tougher domestic opposition will require him to improve our defense, if any of the stated goals are to be achieved.

11. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Fans want this attractive attacking style of play but dont realise to play that way all the time involves a level of sacrifice defensively.

The game last night made for great viewing because both teams tried to attack and hit on the break.

When we play with full backs who push so high up the pitch we will be susceptible to being caught on the break.

Id like to see us being more clever and compact away from home. For me it felt like a bit of a Rodgers performance away from home, but in fairness we still had chances we didnt take.

If Jota takes a better first touch when he is played in to goal at 2-0 up on 28mins, and he finishes, i think we go on to win from that lead.

12. Kiro Kompiro

But he wasn't booked again and the red never came and they didn't play with ten, right?

13. Kiro Kompiro

Well then he better quit right now because I doubt he wins the league and one cup in his first season. If he does, he's not just a naughty boy.

14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Thats just football. We always have injuries to contend with. Thats where a manager makes his money.

Its up to ange to make sure the subs are ready to go.
    When you look at Abadas impact, that might not happen if Forrest, Johnston, Karamoko, are fit.
    Ajetis recent form wouldnt happen without Kyogo getting injured.

Of course we all want to see players fit and available but injuries will always happen.

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Celtic fans tend to say 'we' when talking about our club..

It was a gamble that he didn't need to take though, should have made the change at HT or before, Soro was poor in any case and a booked Soro, either results in a red or a player that can't be fully committed for fear of a red.

Hopefully a DM is a priority in Jan in any case.

Liam Scales and Belgian_lad like this.
  16. celtic warrior

Soro certainly played way within himself after the booking.

Being around the ball seemed to give him the fear after yhe booking when normally, I'd say he at least usually looks to be involved

JC Anton likes this.
  17. Belgian_lad

thats the thing, we dont want or need to play like Atletico. I love Ange’s style of attacking play. But i am not so sure(till now) about his defense. And that was before we had those injuries too. AZ sliced us open as they wanted. Yesterday after the 0-2, we should have calmed the game. But hindsight is a great thing and i do believe Ange will come good at Celtic.

Red Star were an amazing team, some great players, Mihailovic, Savicevic, Prosinecki, Pancev. Think they were all local too, just like the Lisbon Lions.

recently you had the likes of Island, Wales who were pretty ‘succesfull’ in getting through the tournemant. But its not really my point that we need to close everything down. But just sitback once you are 2-0 up is a smart thing to do.

18. AussieGreek

I disagree. The squad that Ange inherited from Day 1 is not "that's just football," that is incompetency and no forward thinking from his predecessors and those above him.

I said " actually coach a settled squad." He's never had a settled squad. Rangers for example came into this season with a completely settled squad with just a few minor changes.

19. Celticbhoy97

Not embarrassing the defeat in general but after we went 2-0 we should have shored up for 15-20 minutes take the sting out the game. Do that and I think we win last night

martin_d likes this.
  20. stevoEOS

Couldn’t care less whether either was Ange’s recruit or not. Fact of the matter is that Soro should’ve been replaced in the first half as soon as it became clear as day he was walking a tightrope for a sending off as he was playing within himself which affected the team as a whole. We had a ready made replacement on the bench in McCarthy. Yes, he may not be match sharp but it was the best option available to us at the point in the match. Aside from the fact he was extremely close to being sent off, Soro was playing poorly & the sub should’ve been made at half time regardless.

JC Anton likes this.