1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celticdawg

Huge result and one that hopefully gets ange the players needed to play his style at a higher level,
    the signs are positive that if the board gets their act together this guy can deliver the goods .
    That said none of us can be blinded to the fact we looked all over the place at times and it wasnt until eddy came on that we managed some composure and a foothold in the game , hopefully ange is chapping doms door in a few hours time !!

2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

We need 2 sitters and 1 more advanced. The front 3 are there to do the main damage.

I'd have McCarthy, Soro, Henderson, Robertson, Shaw....all before I'd put Bitton in there.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  3. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Fair enough. You are more aware of the players you mentioned than me. Have not seen them play. Assumed Bitton had been picked ahead of them because he had more experience or was better than them in that position. Have only seen him play twice.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He started out there and looked promising initially but it all fell apart under Deila and he's never played there since unless an absolute necessity.

Needs far too long on the ball, can be turned, isn't aggressive enough in the press. Just doesn't fit Ange's style of winning the ball back and moving it forward quickly at all.

5. grazor

Alkmaar is a pretty serious scalp to get while there is still a lot of teething problems with the style. Glad we'll see them in the europa league.

I imagine rangers press will be similarly organized and will provide another interesting test

6. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Its going to be tough coming back after a game like that against AZ and then play Rangers within 48 hours. The boys looked tired and battered but stayed on their feet at the whistle. The Dutch were constantly blocking them with their bodies to obstruct their movement on and off the ball.

I saw parts of the Rangers game. They had to travel further to play in Armenia than us but their game seemed mild in comparison to the AZ game in a physical sense.

7. AussieGreek

no chance if they’re going to play like they did over the two legs with Malmo and Alashkert and domestically with United and Ross County. And I highly doubt they’re going to “turn it up because everything goes out the window in derbies”

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It’s Ange’s birthday today. Hope Celtic get him some new signings as a present.

9. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Happy birthday Big Man

Callum McGregor likes this.
  10. Mr Cleansheets

I bought a shirt with ANGE 11 on the back today.

FMD the Celtic shop didn't make it easy...

11. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Needs to adapt to when we're under pressure to stop playing it out of the back. If there is no pass on, we need to hit it long. It's much better to give the ball away in the opposition's half than 18 yards from our own goal.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  12. grazor

If Rangers lose, or even draw a home game to celtic this early into Ange implementing his style before many signings are in its probably season over. So in my view celtic have everything to gain and nothing to lose

AussieGreek likes this.
  13. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Still canny believe he got us through that tie. Players have absolutely everything last night under unbelievable pressure.

Difference in mentality is clear as well as style.

14. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I'm fairly confident under Lennon we'd have crumbled last night and shipped the 4 goals to go out. Even though it was far from comfortable, the fact we negotiated 2 legs against a very good Dutch team is credit to Ange.

Happy birthday Bossman :ange:

15. JamesM09

My one concern at the moment is we insist on playing it out the back but we seem to be pretty poor at it.

Players are slow picking up positions, slow providing options and slow on executing. Teams are finding it easy to break it.

It could be personnel but I actually think it’s coaching. It’s something we need to address ASAP if we want to keep going with this.

I think he’ll know that himself though. I suspect the problem is he’s having to do everything himself at the moment and is just short of time.

16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

"Our evolution as a team will depend on how we overcome the challenges we face. We didn’t react well initially. In the last 30 minutes of the first half we second-guessed ourselves, got apprehensive and worried about making another mistake. The last half hour of the first half we were under siege without any real composure or plan to play through it. We just lost belief. We had to break through that barrier. I told the players that fear is the biggest impediment to progress and we had to eliminate that from our game. Joe and Carl are disappointed but Joe made a couple of really good saves and Carl defended strongly in the second half. Mistakes sometimes happen, they are human.. we just have to respond better to them and believe in our football. There was a real resilience about us tonight."

17. Mr Cleansheets

I think the players are a little tired. If they were fit and sharp there'd be less issue but a game every 3 or 4 days is starting to take its toll - which makes last night's result against a fairly fresh AZ even more impressive. Hopefully we'll be at least as fresh as der Hun by Sunday.

In other news, people have occasionally asked how the Ange effect is going down back home in the media and among the fans...

Oz football fans typically follow their own local team plus (with varying levels of passion) teams in one or more Euro leagues (or other leagues depending on provenance etc). Nearly everone has an EPL team plus other teams - usually in the Serie A, German league, La Liga, and even the SPL.

I can report that Ange has massively mobilised interest in the SPL and specifically Celtic. I've been a lone voice among my mates for decades but they're suddenly all Celts now - obsessively watching and discussing the matches - just brilliant. And the interest is so genuine that I'm hoping it might even persist after Ange moves on.

Long may that day be delayed.

craigtheceltic and JamesM09 like this.
  18. Ozcelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hai Hail
    It's great to hear the faithful have so much faith in this lad Ralston. Seems like a Lazarus manoeuvre from him, but bring them on, in abundance please. Watched Juranovic during the Euros, he's a superb player, but if we have a youngster who is gonnae battle for that jersey, fantastic.
    One thing about Ange is he's fiercely loyal, but not afraid to put his hand up for his, or other's, mistakes.
    So that will allow some youngsters at CP at the moment to show what they have in their locker !

19. JamesM09

Love that mate, must be such a buzz seeing one of your own doing it at a European club, added bonus that it's Celtic.

Crilly and Mr Cleansheets like this.
  20. Ozcelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hai Hail
    Whereabouts in Oz is that bruv. Where I'm at, is mainly full of Millwall supporting Cockneys, so huns to the core.
    I have managed to convert them onto Guinesss from VB, so that's a start !