1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

Good for you, Turner…

OziBeerMan likes this.
  2. Mr Cleansheets

Erm... but what exactly IS hooch?

3. murphy88

I’m basing my argument on the fact I watch the A-League pretty much every weekend as it’s on early in the morning over here at the weekend. Not a friendly from 2017 with absolutely no importance on the game whatsoever. Put it this way, had Maclaren still been playing in Scotland, his goalscoring record would be nowhere near almost a goal a game which it is just now since going back to playing in Australia. Why do you think that is?

Couscous, Hammy89 and McChiellini.. like this.
  4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I've watched the A league regularly myself on weekend's here. It's on BT all the time..

The standard is atrocious. Defensively it's Scottish championship standard overall..

Showing us a friendly result year's ago to back your argument hahaha..

Cena and murphy88 like this.
  5. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Pot. May be my age, but it’s the old devils lettuce.

The big Viduka likes this.
  6. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    I’ve honestly only just started watching the SPFL closely, and the standard is pretty *. A lot of hoofball and what I call park football.
    Just my opinion. Celtic and Rangers are on a completely different level.
    Even you guys say it’s a 2 horse race because the rest are *.

The big Viduka likes this.
  7. murphy88

It is a two horse race. If Melbourne City were in the league, it would still be a two horse race though. Just because teams are more evenly matched in the A-League, it doesn’t equate to it being a better standard.

8. Mr Cleansheets

FFS I've answered this same question again and again. If you're not interested in the answer than no worries...we move on.

For hopefully the last time...I've followed MacLaren's career with much interest, even though he never played for the Mariners (my team here in Oz). He had plenty of raw talent, and exceptional pace, and was a not bad player when he went to Hibs. I would have had other Oz strikers ahead of him back then - Taggart and Nabbout for a start. He did OK at Hibs - 9 from 27 - which is not bad for a striker in a 2nd tier SPL team. Nothing to set the world on fire.

Then he came back to Oz and has seriously gone to a new level. I'm guessing he brought back some lessons from the SPL and blended that with a fresh determination to make the best of his career. Whatever it was...the JMac that came back from Scotland was a completely different player from the one who left Oz in the first place.

His stats speak for themselves but it goes way beyond that. His intelligence is what really sets him apart now - so good at playing team mates in - absolutely brilliant at being in the right place at the right time. The man has 3 - 4 great seasons left and I'd love to see those spent at Celtic. He will go back to Europe a much better player than last time and would be so cheap by Euro standards.

I absolutely love watching him play and yet he plays for one of my most hated teams.

Anyway...anyone who maintains their anti-Oz prejudice won't have read this far so I don't know why I'm rambling...

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    You've only just started watching the SPFL closely (which means ever)
    You guy's

You must've missed the first 2 weekend's then as both club's have already been beat..

I didn't see Dundee United hoofing it much last week..

Turn it in. It's Saturday morning here and no one can be arsed reading the pish from 'you guy's'..

10. Mr Cleansheets

And yet here we are...

11. murphy88

He might be a better player, but I reckon the main reason that his goalscoring record has improved dramatically since playing for Hibs is that he is playing in a poorer league with pretty awful defending.

Hibs weren’t a “second tier” SPL team by the way. They finished top half that season he was there.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Exactly..

As I said, insufferable..

Free the Adblock and Spring Time like this.
  13. Mr Cleansheets

Says you.

14. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    No, you guys lol. You just * bag the A League, like you * bagged Ange when he was first appointed. Just uneducated.
    The SPFL is average. Just come to terms with it. It’s ok. We understand the A League is average too. However there’s a few teams here who can absolutely mix it in the SPFL. Just like you have the big 2.
    It’s not disparaging to say that. Just reality. I’m not being a smart *.

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Insufferable..

Free the Adblock likes this.
  16. murphy88

You have said you have just started watching the SPL. Did you see the first game between Motherwell and Hibs?

17. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    How many spots did the A-League get for Champions League this season?

18. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Scottish fitbaw is * lads let's be honest :giggle1:

19. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Aye, just a change of subject, for those Aussies who haven’t found the way to the match thread, Celtic v Hearts is on Sunday night, coverage starts at 11.55pm AEDT on Kayo :50:

OziBeerMan and The big Viduka like this.
  20. Mr Cleansheets

Sorry but anyone who isn't Celtic or (occasionally) Sevco is 2nd tier. We all know that so don't try to sophistry this *.

And no-ones responded at all to the link I posted about the last time time Celtic played in Oz.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a genuine Celt and been on this site nearly 9 years - but it * * me off the crap I read on here about Australian football. There are literally hundreds of Australians playing in Europe (across countries and leagues) so clearly something about our busted system is getting something right.

That said, I only want the best for Celtic and Jamie MacLaren is a shining example of quality at a cut down price. The fact he's Australian is neither here nor there.

OziBeerMan and The big Viduka like this.