1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sgt Neppers*

I was meaning from Dom, anyone in recruitment and scouting.

But yes, these dumplings aren't helping the first 11.

2. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yeah, but Dominic McKay's first job in football is...our club. I mean, we were linked with Webb, Tognozzi and Harkin. They actually are qualified DoF-s. But no, we get a rookie CEO only.

Spring Time likes this.
  3. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

I for one still have doubts about Ange that he is the man to sort this mess out as well as try changing the boards attitude to how we do buisness. These are deffinatley no Ange signings however he would have approved them . We obviously needed a goal keeper and another sitting midfielder, Soro cannot be expected to play that role every week. The position alone dictates he will pick up injuries and suspensions. Although not convinced by Hart, he is significantly better than what we have . McCarthy brings experience and a bit of bite. The fact they are on long term deals is significant as it brings consistency and leaves us in a position were we may be settled for these qualifiers in the next couple of seasons that's why I am happy these positions have not been filled by loans. Goal keeper, CBs and CM , spine of the team, fill the rest of the positions with attacking minded players and Ange can play his style. Putting the Hearts game aside I think we can be a bit more positive about the way ahead

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  4. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    We can all safely assume kyogo was anges signing. Starfelt I'm not so sure. So again I'll ask, what knowledge of players do you think this guy has. Do you think its acceptable to fill celtic with players from Japan and Australia?

Im not simplistic in my thinking, so I know ange will not entirely be limited to these two regions however they have been his only shop his entire career. Its one thing knowing about European football. Knowing a host of players available for a team like celtic is an entirely different story. Even more so if its to fit any one style.

So what is an ange postecoglou signing I asked. Is it a player he knows and wants or a player he's presented with that takes his fancy. My point anyway is that we should feel grateful we have any new players coming in because if it wasnt the club signing players it wouldn't be happening.

5. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Both. I believe Starfelt was signed because of his apparent interception-style defending. This player was probably recommended to Ange.

As for the question about filling Celtic with players from Australia and Japan? Yes. People have suggested Australian players like M. Ryan, Atkinson and Mooy. Itakura was linked with us. After watching Japan U-23 at the Olympics, I can safely say that is the closest to Angeball a team can get. Lots of running, use of width and through balls. Japanese players generally possess the attributes needed for a high defense line, attacking football. Their issue is a lack of a good striker.

Ange's ideas may not be the most practical, but if he wishes to persist, then the simplest way to shop is to shop in J- or K-League (South Korea also produces a lot of fast players with good stamina).

Solidsnake likes this.
  6. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    SSSSSNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKEEEE

Damnati, Dublin Celt and Solidsnake like this.
  7. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Well ange said he was delighted to have signed two experienced players in Joe and James. His words not mine. Unlike rodgers with shved there doesn't seem to be anything suggesting that this wasn't given anges seal of approval. People are just taking their own ignorant assumptions and making up the rest.

If ange doesn't have his own list of players that can play his brand of football he has absolutely no right to moan about anything and he had better learn to become more astute with what he has.

This appointment had cluster * written all over it. Again no disrespect to ange or his credentials but he is not what we need at this time. We needed someone with their own contacts and staff. Someone who just needed to start phoning people and making it happen. If we're trying to scout players at this late stage in the game then the bubbles already burst in my opinion.

We were waiting on howe and we all believed he was delivered and analysing the squad and researching targets. This is what handicapped us and will continue to do so until we have the proper scouting and recruiting framework in place. A manager like ange who has strict footballing philosophies is not the kind of man you pair with a dof. Its a car crash waiting to happen. If we did however get harkin or another dof then surely he dictates the playing style, players etc. So whatever way people want to look at it the manager doesn't have his own targets and if he does they are probably all from the j league and the board are rightfully saying no.

Dublin Celt and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  8. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    The idea that Ange didn’t know about each player or was happy to get them in goes against every single vibe I get from the guy.

He said himself he immersed himself in every area of the club. Was very clear.

Does anyone truly believe he’s not on board with the signings today?

personally I don’t believe it for a second.

He’s seen for himself the lack of leadership and experience in the squad.

He’s seen the keeper……let’s call it a “situation” as opposed to what it is.

He has felt compelled to go with Soro when it was clear he was a weak link.

Not in a million years am I saying Ange is the messiah, but he’s undoubtedly involved in the decision making process. And I have no doubt that if he hadn’t been he would have quite openly said it.

9. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If we take this as true- him approving of every signing, then it means every failure or success are truly his, and that the board could only be blamed for players being brought in late.

10. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    They could also be blamed for bringing in the manager late and limiting his options substantially too surely :39:

The big Viduka and OziBeerMan like this.
  11. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Fair enough. It's just that he now must be aware of the need to adapt. If he agreed on Joe Hart, and tells him to play as a sweeper keeper, that could be disastrous, even if Ange had been here for 3-4 months. Same with forcing McCarthy into a frantic press every fixture.

NomDePlum likes this.
  12. MAP

What a page full of tripe.

Experts on what the manager knows and doesn't know, and what he has and hasn't done.

I feel dumber for having read this page.

The big Viduka and Sentinel like this.
  13. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    if players are not being identified for core positions, absofuckinglutely. Although it’s unreasonable to expect him to be responsible for scouting also - there will be a list of positions, his suggestions, scouting suggestion - and I expect him to be at the forefront of the decisions made.

has he not been pretty clear on the need for signings?

he couldn’t have been MORE clear surely?

Whether incoming players are first second are 3rd choice is budgetary - so again, limits of managerial ownership.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    The big Viduka likes this.
  14. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic fans: sign some players FFS!

also Celtic fans: these aren't the managers signings FFS!

15. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I'd be very surprised if these two are Ange's signings as both were linked to the club when Neil Lennon was manager they both don't appear to fit into his system also. The board should not be making signings for the manager.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  16. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I see the point maybe saying Hart doesn't suit Ange's style as he isn't great with ball at his feet. Does McCarthy not totally suit Ange's style as he would have played similar under Martinez at Wigan?

17. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon

18. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    The board get the blame for leaving this mess for ange to walk into. The board didn't lose lennon until it was far too late. The board * about with Eddie howe for months handicapping the future. It was the board who kept all these players who wanted to go in order to 'secure' the 10. It is the board who * the rat about.

Again, the difference between rodgers and the situation now is, the rat had his own scouting network with congerton and his cronies. Rodgers knew who he wanted. Its down to the board for not delivering, even though the rats recruitment was terrible they should of bent over backwards for him. Why? Because he makes the best with what he has. If only the Australian pep starts to do that he might just reach the very top. I'm impressed as * with ange but there is evident flaws there for all to see. If we can see them then I can assure you all of our opponents will see them.

The big man has to adapt or he will learn the hard way. All the Australians in here will learn a lesson as well. Welcome to European football, you're playing with the big boys now.

19. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    So we sign a japanese goalkeeper? Good * luck pal

seanm likes this.
  20. AussieGreek

soon an Ange signing will only be accepted if it’s a kid plucked out of the jungles of Myanmar or something :84: the state of this forum.

OziBeerMan likes this.