1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He isn't 100% blameless, but you're right on the scapegoat thing. However, this goat has horns, and he's prodding the board with them!

2. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

First off - You cannot possibly say that with such authority, it's not a guarantee that he'll come good. It's still a huge gamble on our part in hiring him.
    Second - 'eventually' is the problem. He's no getting 2 or 3 seasons to get this * mythical, legendary philosophy of his across to the players.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  3. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Yeah it's worrying.. said it in the match thread.. we clearly don't have the players at the moment good enough but they should at least be able to play 90 minutes.. 3 games in and we look absolutely knackered..

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  4. murphy88

The board couldn’t get their top target over the line due to them telling him he had to keep Kennedy and Strachan, or because they told him the budget he would have to rebuild, or both. Postecoglou was then offered a job he couldn’t refuse, and has been given no help whatsoever from them. We went into last night with no new full backs or goalkeeper and a centre half who had trained once. It’s an absolute shambles, and the rats that run us have caused it. Don’t direct anger in the wrong direction, because that’s what they want mate. All of this mess is the boards doing.

5. Maestro 08

He's not blameless and the board obviously don't want the guy they employed to be utter *. I don't quite understand how you think that takes the heat away from them if anything it makes them look even worse. So they've employed someone to deliberately be rubbish so they can get off the hook for being * themselves. Maybe I'm just mental but wouldn't that put more heat on them?

6. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    My comment wasn't meant to be directed with anger at the manager- but quite the opposite. Scapegoats are supposed to be tame and quiet. Ange is not going down quietly.

murphy88 likes this.
  7. Mr Cleansheets

The authority comes from how consistently he's done it before.

But yes - eventually at Celtic is not the same as eventually at other places.

It's certain Ange gets that and I've no doubt it accounts for his growing frustration at the hand he's been dealt.

Sydneysider likes this.
  8. murphy88

They don’t want him to fail, of course they don’t, although you wouldn’t be mental to suggest they do when you look at the transfer activity. They do want any anger aimed at him if he does fail though, which is what we are now seeing. People are now starting to aim their anger towards Postecoglou. Which is completely wrong. This whole shitshow is the fault of the board.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  9. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

He hasn't done it as consistent as you're making out though, he's hardly got Pep or SAF's strike rate with silverware, there is large gaps in his CV where he won * all.
    And he hasn't managed a job anywhere near Celtic, where the pressure and circumstances are as intense. There is nothing at all to say he will absolutely be a success here, it's a 50/50 at best.

Hammy89 and Maestro 08 like this.
  10. Maestro 08

Well not for me I'm able to jointly see that AP isn't cutting it so far and the board are still useless. I would hope that most supporters are able to have that same brain capacity. It's not exactly mind blowing.

11. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Furuhashi hasn't played under Ange before though? He hasn't even had a training session with him yet

12. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    The one thing I'm absolutely delighted about is that he isn't a yes man, which I was fearful he would be.

He is calling out the board for not moving on targets. It's refreshing to hear instead of the usual drivel of we're trying our best.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  13. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Yassssss. :ange2:

14. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What I’m really struggling to understand is our transfer policy this season.

We have lost a lot of players and it still fees like we are not making signings until sales are made. It’s like we have no will to sign players first and then sell the ones who are leaving.

Maybe we are having serious difficulties with negotiations or targeting players but there have been plenty of rumours so I’m not so sure that he’s case.

Why have the board not went Ange needs x,y and z and just went and got them? Edouard is leaving, so why have we not already replaced him? Why was Starfelt not confirmed until after Ajer had left? Are we not going to sign new fullbacks until Taylor and Ralston are gone?

It just feels really dumb. I doubt our current annual wage is above £40m considering the amount we have lost.

This is what we have removed from the wage bill:

Elyounoussi, laxalt, Duffy, brown, kenny, Ajer, Klimala, frimpong, Bayo, hendry, shved, elhamed … maybe others I’ve missed?

This is what we’ve brought in:

Furuhashi, Starfelt, Abada.

Then there’s a few young players who may play in the first team:

Shaw, urhogide, lawal

We’re still likely to see Edouard, Ntcham, Bolingoli, hopefully Griffiths and still likely, Christie all leave soon.

Either the board are next level incompetent, they don’t fully back Ange or They just don’t care as season tickets are probably sold out by now?

15. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Would be interesting to know who in the setup is designated defensive coach.

Because the comedy defending of last season must be sorted ASAP. Watching Hearts sneak the winner yesterday tells me nothing has happened.

This is Ange's responsibility. If it means getting shot of JK and / or GS, then he must act now. If he doesn't have the final word on this, then the club is knee deep in it.

16. Mr Diggler

I think it's more cynical. They are in place to ensure a large dividend for the shareholders and are spending the bare minimum in order to make sure that happens. It is time for the fans to make sure the Board know exactly where they stand. Protests, banners galore, boycotts even though season tickets, nasty chanting and toxic atmospheres- the Board are living in a bubble particularly with covid. No fans in the stadium has seen them live in a fool's paradise. Time to burst the bubble.

17. Mr Cleansheets

Sorry but that's (mostly) bollocks.

He's won everywhere he's gone as has been noted here ad nauseum, but yes - the pressure and scrutiny of the Celtic job is beyond his experience.

It's beyond everyone's experience until they've done it.

He's a pure football man and needs support from both board and fans. The board will decide their own cuntish destiny but the fans can choose to stand by him. Not forever, obviously.

Ozzie Hoop likes this.
  18. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Just exactly as you say, the atmosphere inside that cesspit is toxic and we have got to be on our game. It was half empty but it didn't stop them creating some noise.

Mjittyland is what it is. Every year we * ourselves. Bitton at home killed us, forrest missing away also a key moment. The tie was on a knife edge and always was but hearts away had disaster written all over it. For me anyway

19. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I’m not even sure how that slipped my mind! Makes the most sense to be honest.

It really is unacceptable, if they invest more and do it the right way it is genuinely a win-win for everyone. We get a team we’re excited to watch and support, they get there big fat cheques that come from winning the league, qualifying for the CL group stages and from making potentially large profits on players sold.

Instead, let’s guarantee the shareholders dividends then worry about the rest.

20. Maestro 08

From what I'm seeing Abada isn't even first team ready either. He's never pushing out Forrest or Christie and from what I'm seeing a fit Mikey Johnstone and Karamoko are easily pushing him for a start.