1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I would like to see Forrest on the left wing and Christie on the right. From what I saw in the game in Denmark Forrest is very quick, energetic and tends to over-dribble. He could have scored 2 goals that night with a bit more composure. Why the left ? For some reason when a winger on the left or right cuts in instead of going down the touchline he does not get tackled as quickly and has more time to carry the ball. If Forrest comes in and goes along the 18 yard line he will have a better opportunity to shoot for goal with his right foot. The same for Christie if he cuts in from the right and shoots for goal with his left foot. They also would need to cross the ball also during the game but would need to pick their moment to cut in sharply and have the goal at their mercy. They could also swap wings with each other during the game and give the fullbacks a * of a time trying to contain them. Confuse their defense and don't let them settle.

2. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I'm watching Japan vs. New Zealand at the Olympics. Relevant because Ange wants to basically have us play like Japan, while NZ are your typical SPFL side. Low crosses caused trouble for New Zealand, but the lack of a good striker up front means that numbers at the back influence the outcome of chances. Through balls are common from the Japanese, but the low NZ block reduces the effectiveness of these.

A well coordinated Japanese press is negating support for the NZ targetman, once his teammates try to lump it.

It must be said that the 80% humidity is working in Japan's favor, as NZ will tire faster than teams in Scotland would.

3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    "Tell me you haven't seen Celtic play before Ange came to the club, without telling me you haven't seen Celtic play before Ange came to the club."

Christie spent the whole of least season on the right, trust US, that is not a good option. The lad is doing a lot better on the left, weirdly he is able to stick out there better than he ever did on the right. He is doing well.
    Forrest has literally built his career on the RW, cutting in, scoring goals. It is literally his game. he is very well capable of scoring great goals with both feet, but he does it on the right extremely well.

4. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Looks like Ange has his fitness coach coming in, Spiros Toutziarakas. It’s just been announced that he’s left Yokohama, so would tie in with Ange’s comments that he needs more staff.

eire4, AdamRS, martin_d and 3 others like this.
  5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    About 6 weeks later than it should be, but good if it does turn out he comes along here as well.

Ange made comments a couple weeks back about fitness, I dare say it is something he has driven home to Dom as well, the need to get that department (among all others) sorted, pronto.

martin_d and Hammy89 like this.
  6. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

This is a big big day for Ange, he really needs a win today to show we are going in the right direction in the League as that is priority this season. Defeat is unthinkable, a draw keeps the jury out. I am staying optimistic but can only see a draw. If Ange doesn't get players in soon, we could be potentially be behind the Huns by 6 points after the first 4 games as we will struggle. Regardless what the score is today, post match interview has to put pressure on the board to speed things up or at least a statement to say they are working on signings.

thailandceltic likes this.
  7. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

Dont know anything about the guy but if true that is some good positive news, Ange will only succeed if he van appoint his own men.Having your own hand picked team around you is just as important as getting the right players in

McGrory1888 likes this.
  8. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Totally agree. It’s pretty farcical that he wasn’t brought along 6 weeks ago, but better late than never I suppose! * knows, a proper fitness coach is desperately needed.

martin_d and Peej like this.
  9. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I dont think a jury can even be selected yet in regards Ange. I don't think any judgement can be made untill he gets backing from the board. This squad is an utter shambles and quite frankly embarrassing. He is under staffed and the staff he does have is the very definition of failure left behind by Lennon.

The pressure will come from the media and we as fans need to be aware of that and not fall for, It will be ramped up if we don't win tonight or don't get off to a great start in the league...

Ange needs time, any manager would need time given the mess he's been handed.

We need to keep in touch with the huns untill the window closes and hope the * on the board help him..

eire4 likes this.
  10. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Mon Big Ange we are all behind you!

martin_d likes this.
  11. MAP

It's only early days.

martin_d and Sydneysider like this.
  12. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Didn't Deila say when he came in the fitness was shocking, legacy of Lennon again.

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Yeah, was the reason I think that after a few months he brought in some Norwegian wife to help out in that area as well.
    Some good parallels for sure, which makes it more astounding that the board left Lennon to carry on for so long, with the same * unfolding at the club as last time (morale low, fitness low, etc)

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Except Lennon’s team wasn’t unfit first time around, maybe not 24hr athletes but not unfit. If anything players became more lethargic under Deila and his fad diet. Not defending Lennon here as such, just annoys me the revisionism about the fitness of Deila’s team.

15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I have no "proof" for it, but for me that was more on Collins, he was the bad egg in my eyes.
    Guy was more like a drill sargent than a football coach. As seen by his time at Hibs as well, the players didn't take to it all that well.
    I reckon Collins took it too far and ran them in to the ground, because for awhile the change in fitness and energy was very noticeable, but after awhile, they burnt out and it wasn't managed properly. Just constant drills.

No surprise Rodgers sorted that nonsense out as well.

Think Ange is gonna be more in that mould, picking up on the lack of fitness (to the required level), but being pragmatic about it and not a *.

martin_d likes this.
  16. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Tail end of the first season we were firing under Deila. Died a death near the end of the second season though, strange. Maybe the diet just taking its toll long term.

You only need to look at the reluctance of some of the players to adapt to Deila’s style to see how relaxed an attitude Lennon had with regards to diet and fitness.

17. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Don't think it's a big ask. We've already made a couple of quality signings, a few more is the bare minimum we should expect.

The only thing stopping us from bringing more first team ready players in already is how * we are in the transfer market.

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Guys we’ve signed I wouldn’t say are proven quality either, they look like good signings though.

19. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    It’s the first match of the season, ya mad rocket. :56:

thailandceltic likes this.
  20. ynwa1987

We can’t play Christie on the right he will just cut in and shoot far too often. Playing him on the left reduces this and he’s more of a team player and more effective

Leone Naka Fan and Peej like this.