1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. oh bhoy

I can't have been the first to point out that football in Asia isn't very good.end of

2. SuperZidane

Assuming this guy is appointed and that Kennedy is one of his coaches (I would say that's inevitable as Postecoglou doesn't have a UEFA Pro Licence) - I personally won't be putting another penny into the club at this point.

If folk want to renew season tickets etc - good on them.

I think he'll be away by next summer at best - although I'll be only too delighted to be proven wrong.

If he's a success - I'm man enough to come on here and eat humble pie.

If he's a failure - are you? - or will you come up with a list of excuses about budget, not being given enough time etc?

You are singing his praises so. if he signs on - he will know what's expected, his transfer budget etc. If it goes * up - then I assume you'll be man enough to admit that you were wrong.

The big Viduka likes this.
  3. Mr Cleansheets

When's the last time you watched a J-League match?

I think you would probably be shocked at the level.

Melbourne Man, Wllm and spitz like this.
  4. oh bhoy

I think you are under the impression that this guy will be given the permission to shake anything.

5. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    The buck stops with Ange.you will find he wont have it any other way.the guy is a winner .i hope you will be pleasantly surprised

Twisty, Melbourne Man and spitz like this.
  6. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    At haf time he will say"thats not a knife"

bagforlife and James like this.
  7. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

For Postecoglou
    For Postecoglouuuu
    I cant waitttttt
    For Postecoglouuuuuuuu

8. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    When an Australian manager enters the dugout in Scotland:

[​IMG]

9. spitz

Then he will tell your board to get * and will walk.

He’s not a puppet type.

He’s a Melbourne Greek, you will find out very quickly the sort of mentality he has.

Wllm and VT8 like this.
  10. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I do think there's a certain amount of truth to the narrative that postecoglu pushes about nationality.

I would suspect that if he was German or Spanish, maybe even Dutch, with the exact same CV, alot more folk on here would be way more relaxed.

I'm prepared to give him the same amount of time I was going to give Eddie -* the bed- Howe.
    As to the conjecture about him being hounded out, Im more wary of the opposite, especially given his nature. Rodgers is quite a relaxed figure and strives to work well with everyone. Even he was almost publicaly at war with the board. Postecoglu is anything but. It's more likely that he'll grow frustrated with our penny pinching, eternally meddlesome board and say * this.

spitz likes this.
  11. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That's me buzzin now

12. spitz

Listen to Jackson Irvine talk about him.

JC Anton likes this.
  13. Mr Cleansheets

Very fair points.

I doubt he'll be upset about penny pinching (he's coached in Australia FFS) but he won't tolerate a meddlesome board.

I can completely understand fans being wary of someone they've never heard of - and more often than not they'd be entirely justified. This is one of the "not" times as Ange is very far from the average coach. He is a robust individual who will insist on high standards and drag the team up through a blend of fitness, fast press, super-fast ball movement and a well drilled squad who understand their roles.

But he's prickly - doesn't like his method questioned - and will insist on control. Any residual assistant left in place because of a Euro license will have to learn his place and if Ange doesn't like him - that's where I see the source of potential conflict and people running behind Ange's back to the board complaining that * Skippy is gettin too big for his desert boots.

If the board are not 100% united behind him it could easily end in tears.

He definitely has the ability, but will he get the chance and the support?

Melbourne Man and spitz like this.
  14. SuperZidane

Jackson Irvine - 1 first team appearance in 3 years at Celtic, then Ross County, Burton Albion, Hull City then Hibs. I can't say his opinion would swing it for me.

Sgt Neppers* and The big Viduka like this.
  15. spitz

Other than Rogic, probably the only player on earth to have played under Lennon, Postecoglou and played at Celtic.

But anyway, keep * the bed before even seeing what he’s about.

16. oh bhoy

he could tell them to get * now then and save a lot of hassle they wouldnt back rodgers someone with considerably more clout in the game why on earth would they change their ways for this guy

17. Maestro 08

The things I'm hearing is that he will be very exciting to watch and not gonna lie that is very intriguing but there's huge alarm bells with regards to his temperament. Irvine basically mentioned it there again. He sounds like a hot head and a bit of a fire brand. The pressure he would be under here would probably see him losing control pretty quickly tbh.

18. spitz

You have a different opinion on what backed means.

Like Bielsa, he will want to work with what he’s got and take the existing players up a few levels.

He won’t be begging for 10’s of millions of £’s like most British coaches as a remedy for success.

By backing, I mean he has a system and a style of play he likes that is non-negotiable. no questions asked, no interference.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  19. Mr Cleansheets

They probably won't, but they'll be in for a shock if they think they're appointing some bargain basement journeyman who'll be grateful for the chance.

Very much his own man and won't be scared of bailing if he doesn't feel supported.

20. spitz

He’s 100% a hothead and firebrand. But do you see that as a bad thing? That’s part of his energy and will to win.

He will 100% buy into Celtic and it’s history, he will hate and want to beat Rangers as much as the bloke standing behind the goals in the stands. He will take the fight to them and ruffle a lot of their feathers along the way.

Melbourne Man, Wllm and SteveyNico67 like this.