1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Crilly Hakuhna matata

From what I’ve seen of Ange so far I like, it’s how he gets the team playing though is the main thing so hopefully he hits the ground running and puts his own mark on things. Dom seems to say all the right things but I don’t really believe it, feels like he does be just lying and saying what we want to hear. Hopefully I’m wrong but he comes across very “politiciany”

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Clear, direct and passionate..

Was impressed by both.

3. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Thought they came across well, but it's easy to talk a good game.

Dannybhoy81 and callumrae1967 like this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Hard not to be impressed by Ange. Doesn’t come across as a bullshitter.

McKay, on the other hand…

5. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    The proof will be in the pudding for both but the two of them at least speak well

6. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

I don't really get the negativity around McKay, he answered questions in the non-confrontational, non-controversial way every CEO ever answers a question, except without the arrogance of Lawwell. He may well turn out to be * behind the scenes but at least give him the chance to disappoint first :giggle1:

Dannybhoy81, craigtheceltic and Slaw like this.
  7. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Just came up with a belter song for him troops, to the tune of the Jackie McNamarra song....

'His name is Postecoglou, he loves the bhoys in green. His football is majestic, the best you've ever seen. He takes no * from journalists and hates the current buns. Big Angie Postecoglou has got them on the run'

It's getting recorded wae my guitar and flung onto twitter the night :yeah:

8. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    If big Dom thinks that all he needs to do is get fans into Celtic Park to mend the disengagement of fans, he's so far out of his depth.

As for Ange, I'm desperate for him to succeed. Agreed with everything he said 100%.

Lebo likes this.
  9. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I'm not overly bothered about McKay tbh, more concerned about the ability of the manager, it's a massive job with high expectation levels, he will need to hit the ground running.

As critical as i am of the appointment i would really like to see the guy do well and prove me wrong, all supporters want is a successful team on the park, if he can deliver that then fans will get behind him, it is a huge risk given his lack of experience managing in Europe.

Hammy89 and bhoy81 like this.
  10. limezer

I liked the fact he said his teams will fear no one, that’s the mentality we need.
    Strachan used to spout that pish about fearing teams.
    Last time we had a manager who feared no one was MON.
    Big mans going to be a revelation.

cat123 likes this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Strachan’s teams got through to the last 16 twice because a healthy fear of an opponent can be good as well - in the way Strachan meant it anyway.

Mystic Penguin likes this.
  12. limezer

Ma Baws
    Football was terrible to watch

13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

True yes but football has changed an awful lot in 14 years

14. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Comes across well, hopefully he gets backed by the board for backroom and playing staff to at least give him a chance of delivering on the pitch.

One way or another it is going to be interesting to see what transpires this season, here's hoping he makes a success of it.

15. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
  16. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    His Grandfather took no * either.

The big Viduka and Wee Baldy like this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You thought beating AC Milan, Benfica and Man Utd and stuff was terrible to watch? Getting through the group stages? That’s what his football got us, when he talks of ‘fear’ it’s more respect what your opponents can do and overcome it. It has it’s place.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou held his first live press conference this afternoon at Celtic Park with incoming Chief Executive Dom McKay. While answering a number of questions posed by the media, the Australian discussed his plan for success in the weeks and months ahead.

The manager described the task at hand as a massive challenge, but one he’s looking forward to as he seeks to instil his ethos and style of play on the squad.

“What I bring is a different perspective,” said Ange Postecoglou. “Most of my experience has been on the other side of the world and at international level. I bring here what I bring to every club that I’ve worked with – a clear idea of how I want to play and where that success comes from. I think one thing people will be in no doubt about is how this team plays its football.

‘I bring here what I bring to every club that I’ve worked with – a clear idea of how I want to play and where that success comes from.’

“Every team I’ve coached has had a real clear identity in terms of that. I think that fits nicely with the traditions and expectations of this club, and I think that’s one of the reasons I was chosen. I think it’s important that we want to play football a certain way and in my 25 years I’ve played football a certain way.”

The manager said his pathway to Paradise brought its own challenges – a stretch which included isolation, as per current coronavirus protocols, and multiple Zoom calls – but said getting out onto the Lennoxtown pitch to host training for the first time made it worthwhile.

Looking ahead, Ange Postecoglou said he’s determined to be successful at Celtic, and stressed being successful is a ubiquitous process which extends beyond the matchday pitch.

He added: “As a manager, you always get opportunities where there is a massive challenge. I’ve been at places where things weren’t running smoothly, and it’s been up to me to get the team playing well. I understood that before I got here. I’m not really looking at gains that we have to make over last year, I’m looking at the football we play.

“If we get the fundamentals right, if we play our football, we’ll have a good chance at success. For me, that’s a day-to-day proposition. Every club I’ve managed, the focus has been on making sure every day we’re getting better. At the end of the race, we’ll lift our heads, and hopefully we’re in first place.”

Dannybhoy81 and cat123 like this.
  19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The mentality side hasn’t though. When you listen to him talking about ‘fear’ of an opponent it was more of a respect ehat they can do, don’t get too big for your boots and do everything in your power to make up the difference in class. It was specifically about Europe and it worked. 0-0 in the San Siro until extra time with Darren O’Dea at the back, an ancient Lenny in Midfield next to Evander Sno.

That’s insane mate.

That approach when it was against Gretna and * was annoying but. I like a balance.

20. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

By the sounds of it he has full control over who the back room team will be

The big Viduka and cat123 like this.