1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

What's the good reason? Why isn't it that we're the club to take a punt on him.for good reason?

Slaw likes this.
  2. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I'm hugely underwhelmed but I'm backing the guy to the hilt if he comes in.

Hoping the rumours that he takes no nonsense from the hierarchy are true.

I hope the board have appointed him hoping for another yes man but it * explodes. He'd have the fans onside in any dispute.

Sean Daleer, Slaw and TheHappyLoss like this.
  3. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I'd hazard a guess and say it's because nobody rates the guy and they think he'd be a disaster, but apperently not our Board or even some of our supporters.

AdamRS likes this.
  4. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I get his point.

As it's an idea so far left field, it's either ingenious or diabolically stupid. Knowing our track record, we are all right to have massive trepidations.

5. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    This has got Pedro Cashewnut written all over it.

Sgt Neppers* and James like this.
  6. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

You're stuck in fantasy land mate. Howe was realistic and I wanted him when that ball was rolling - but the likes of Eddie Howe is the absolute best we can attract in this day and age in terms of prestige. Favre, Marsch, Rafa, Sarri and Valverde are all absolute pie in the sky suggestions. You need to temper your expectations big time mate. I'm not just saying this to try and win an argument. I'm telling you, we haven't a * hope of attracting any of those, no matter what the rumour mill tells you.

Diego Martinez, nothing inherently wrong with that suggestion. I can't imagine why you would want him over Ange Postecoglou though.

7. david100825

We've been here before. Best of luck to the guy but you are kidding yourself if you don't see this is extremely likely to blow up. Try and polish it all you want. Woeful.

8. James Gold Member Gold Member

In all honesty I think you're the on in fantasy land here. I also notice no mention of Lampard ? who I'm by no means an advocate of but would take him over Ange. Yes I agree Howe was realistically the best we could have got and had we maybe concluded negotiations 2 months ago and appointed someone else then fair enough but it's now 95 days since Lennon left and the best we can do is a guy coming off the back of a season where he finished 9th in Japan who just happens to have connections to Lawwell ...

9. Sgt Neppers*

In top level football, money is nothing to clubs. They will pay through the nose for anyone and everyone. Regardless of nationality, race or the league they come from.

The mid tier clubs are getting level by employing your Howe, Marsch, Favre, Slavia Prague manager, Bosz types managers along with their teams of analysts, etc. Again background, Nationality etc don't come in to it.

These top 2 tiers are where we want and aspire to be. The middle tier is achievable with our finances

Yet, nobody has ever thought Ange as good enough for this. Nobody has thought let's move heaven and earth for this relentless and innovative coach as described on twitter, for the past 25 years as a coach. Yet Celtic think they have found this in 2 days.

Our board are rancid, selfish, parasites who's actions are beyond comprehension. Lawell is the main culprit and I will happily never hear or see of his name around Celtic again......build a * statue....ffs Brooney have a word. Desmond is a bored billionaire who only appears when he's personally offended. Get this Pat Mustard lookalike to *. Probably care more about his * putter than us losing 10iar.

Bankier is the equivalent of the gimp in Pulp Fuction. There for Lawell and Desmond pleasure and vote.

For Ange, it's not personal and if he's the man, so be it. But right now after everything, he's the wrong man, in the wrong movie at the wrong time. His record shows moderate, patchy success married with absolute bizarre results as well. Yet because of everyone else incompetence, ego and elitist ways, he will he the fall guy for the fans as sadly the board are out of reach of the fans, despite what we believe. Any lack of purchase from the club will result of them withdrawing funds for players.
    It's a * show all round, with the reputation of the club and fans most affected. And right now, there's * all we can do about it.

Listened and read things most of the afternoon from him, but it is a bizarre appointment with the shittest spin in the world attached to it and doesn't come close to modernisation that is required at the club for the future.

FrankMcCallum likes this.
  10. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Forgot to touch on your Lampard suggestion. I don't rate Lampard in the slightest as a manager. His sole good season as a manager was with Harry Wilson and Mason Mount tearing it up for him in the Championship, and he still didn't get them up. The improvement in that Chelsea side since he left has been astounding. The fact you would take him over Ange is bizarre to say the least.

The board are * bumbling idiots and the last 2-3 months have been nothing short of a disgrace. I'm not disputing any of that.

craigtheceltic and VT8 like this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. murphy88

Ronny Deila had a good philosophy as well. Better than Gordon Strachan in all honesty. I know who I would prefer as manager though.

13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Ronny Deila, Ronny Deila, Ronny Deila.

Change the * record folks there's parallels there but he's not Deila.

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

None of those managers are remotely realistic. I think we need to start accepting that.

Favre isn’t going to go from managing Dortmund to Celtic. Sarri, from Juve/Chelsea to Celtic. Valverde, Barca to Celtic.

Rodgers was a massive coup for us. But at that point he was damaged goods according to many down south and a bit of a joke figure for some. Plus he has a Celtic connection.

I doubt we’ll ever appoint anybody as high profile as him again. Not unless we leave Scotland and/or get taken over by an oil state.

Slaw likes this.
  15. murphy88

This guy is 55. He isn’t an up and coming manager. He is a journeyman.

AdamRS likes this.
  16. joemc

There was nothing to suggest howe would have been a success , same with this guy , but I think the most important thing is to be able to get players onside , fans would buy in if winning .
    Not ideal, but wants to play a br style of football which will be interesting, recruitment will tell us everything we need to know about this appointment, really hope it works , dont want to rule him out based on his nationality , but its not helped him that the fan appointment was a * up so negativity is there before a ball is kicked .

17. murphy88

It wasn’t being used as a comparison with Ange. You carry on though.

18. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I'm still trying to figure out how him being 55 is in any way relevant.

19. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

It seems neutrals who actually know about him are largely speaking in glowing terms about him. I dont know much about him but it gives me some optimism at least. It's a huge risk, granted.

I understand scepticism, absolutely. But this appointment is so out there that there just has to be something about this guy for us to even consider him after the disastrous year we've had on and off the park. And the more you read about him, the more you wonder why he's not been given a chance before and aye, maybe there is a reason outwith him being from a traditionally non footballing country with no European experience as a player, but on the face of it, the guy seems to have all the attributes we're looking as a coach.

craigtheceltic, Hammy89 and Slaw like this.
  20. murphy88

See when the previous poster said everyone starts somewhere. Try and keep up please.