1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    This goes some way to explaining the attitude towards Anges’ signing initially. Met with massive trepidation. Glad you’ve all ‘seen the light’ now.

Taylor1, VT8 and Dannybhoy81 like this.
  2. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Concert tonight been cancelled. Stewart , lauper and Stephens (*).
    Medical thing but organisers wont say who. Rod could be dead

3. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    7ext0h.jpg

Not even on ma radar son

4. Sgt Neppers*

5. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Was just coming in to post this :giggle1:

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Everything Ange Postecoglou had to say to club television in the immediate aftermath of Celtic's SPFL Premiership match against Hibernian at Parkhead...

Can you summarise the 100-plus minutes that you saw today?

It was different. It just seemed to be a little bit of a chaotic game right from the start. There were always things happening other than the football and we just couldn't really get into a rhythm or a flow and impose ourselves on the game. We had to work pretty hard and stay pretty disciplined through that. Credit to the lads [in the] second half we maintained our composure a lot better and made the impact when we needed to.

You lost Reo Hatate early [to injury] but once you go a goal down against 10 men does that make it even more difficult?

I don't think it makes it more difficult it just adds to that chaos. We lost Reo early and there was a lot going on out there that was non-football-related, even the penalty we conceded. So it's fair to say we just couldn't get into a real rhythm. But second half we did that and even before that we created some good chances. David Marshall pulled off some pretty good saves and there were chances we'd normally put away but the boys got the job done

How pleased are you with the composure and professionalism in the second period?

That's where we needed to show that and it's not the first time we've done that. It's very easy in that kind of game to buy into the chaos and go away from what we wanted to do but for the most part we kept our discipline and wore them down. It was great input and impact by the guys coming on.

Oh powered away a really important second goal...

Yeah, he's a good player and he will be a good player for us. We're easing him into things here and he's still learning a lot. But you watch him train every day and he's got a real presence about him in the penalty box. It was good for him to get the goal tonight. When he came on he made a difference.

Are we any further forward on Reo's situation?

We'll see with Reo. He obviously felt something so we'll have to see how he recovers from that. We've got a couple of weeks [the international break] so hopefully, that helps him. Greg [Taylor] was pretty much struggling for most of the game so it'll be good to have a couple of weeks to recover. Aaron [Mooy] and Tomoki [Iwata] we don't expect to be missing once the games resume. With the international guys we'll just have to wait and see.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

VT8 likes this.
  9. VT8

Didn't even realise Jeggo moved over to Hibs :giggle1:

craigtheceltic likes this.
  10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Did we not have a straight choice between Barkas and David Marshall? When you see how he played yesterday but we went with that shady lookin gimp instead :celtman2:

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  11. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    I reckon he’s said to Ange, “if I join, do you think you can do anything with these?” :giggle1:

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. celtic warrior

I've not seen the match at all but wit Ange referencing the non football thing a couple of times.

What is up with that, what was going on exactly?

I assume straight away it was just more dodgy officiating?

14. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Hibs were acting like fannies

15. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Extended VAR delays, Hibs time wasting and their manager acting like a bit of a tool.

16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He needs studied in depth, would be great to know how he actually works. Like how did he come here on his own and implement the style of play that quick with coaches he probably never even knew existed before he came here.

You wonder if he is that hands on, like he himself took all the players aside individually or in groups and has some kind of videos or paperwork or whatever explaining the way he wants them to operate in their positions and they learn it from there or if he took the coaches aside and told them what to do with the players and they done the teaching on his behalf.

With the signings also, would be interesting to know how involved he is and what he looks for in players as the transfers have been shockingly good. You wonder what he seen in Kyogo and Hatate from afar where he knew they were that good. I even wonder if his signings actually were that good before or it's the way he's told them to play that makes them look even better than they've been.

Like when you think of it if we signed Greg Taylor from Poland or something and he played the way he has, we would assume Greg Taylor always looked like that and was just that good. But he played for us before and there was little evidence to his high level of link-up play and off the ball movement. Wonder if it was the same with Kyogo and Abada, soon as you seen these guys 2 or 3 times it was clear their movement up front is top level but was it before or is it stuff he's taught them.

As Kyogo to me always looks a really good technical and clever player and like he'd be a great playmaker yet we rarely see him come deep, he actually used to at the very start but now it's rarely ever. He's more like a robot of a player playing on the shoulder of a defence just used as a tool to confuse, stretch and occupy centre-backs and leave space for others in behind when I bet that's not really how he'd usually play.

Abada it could just be the way that when our left winger has the ball, the right winger has to get into the box and then it just worked that well for him as he's fast and reads the play well it seems like it's natural and just instincively what he always did but really it might have been new to him as well just since he came here.

When you watch us you feel like every player is just a tool as part of a system and none of them really play how they would under different managers. Like Juranovic was another one, who had very good ability to do a lot of things but he never really did anything extra that he was capable of he stuck to the basics of the job he's been told which seems to work better for the whole team.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  17. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Well worth a read...

18. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    His football to me is like it's computerized as all the moves are always the same every week, the players always take up the same positions. We are probably one of the only teams that if we paused a live game 90% of fans could probably pick out the next 3 or 4 passes we are going to make based on who has the ball and what areas players are in at the time - most other teams players turn on a ball or pause on it and take their time but our players move a ball on fast, it's like they don't need to think what pass they're going to make it's been taught what to do so well that it's instinctive and they do the same thing every time and everyone can see the next passes coming.

Same with our positioning. If Jota has the ball left of the box in the corner area and thats all you could see when you paused TV, you could probably guess the positions really accurately if not spot on of every single player in our team. Like if Jota has the ball there, McGregor will be outside the D in the middle, Kyogo and Abada will be around the 6 yard box, Johnston will be near enough in line with McGregor but outside the right of the box, Hatate or Taylor one or both will be inside the corner of the box or one will be outside the box at the corner. CCV will be the middle of the pitch etc etc etc

When you watch other teams theres mostly just randomness to everything, strikers will run about side to side, into their own halves, wingers will just stay wide and do normal stuff, midfielders will chase about.

Theres near enough no randomness to anything we do except if its like a counter attack from a corner against us and guys just run forward into space. Everything else looks like it was programmed on a computer to do the same thing over and over again and nobody can stop it from happening. Everyone knows the positions our players take up depening on where we have the ball, everyone knows the exact patterns we pass in yet it works every time.

PaddyJamieson and Wllm like this.
  19. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Beat me to it, was just coming on to post it haha. Good to see some neutrals appreciating ourbste and manager. Makes a change from hearing the same * from the same faces in this country who know next to nothing about tactics

Wllm likes this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Scott Brown has revealed Ange Postecoglou urged him to do a lap of honour with the Celtic fans when returning with Aberdeen.

But the Hoops legend says that wouldn't have sat right with him when he was representing another club. The ex-midfielder and captain left Parkheadin the twilight of his career to take up a player-coach role under former Hibs teammate Stephen Glass at Pittodrie in 2021.

That of course meant he would come up against the club where he wrote his name into folklore by lifting trophy after trophy. They were now managed by Postecoglou and playing the 'Ange-ball' that has them dominating Scottish football after a very brief adjustment period.

The 37-year-old has told how the Aussie was keen for him to take the applause of the support which still adored him but he had to turn it down.

Brown also discussed how he'd have enjoyed playing under Postecoglou's style - just maybe not at that age.

He said: “If I could steal a couple of his players I’d rather have that if possible! He was fantastic with me when I came back to Celtic Park with Aberdeen. He said to walk around the stadium and go and take the applause that you are due.

That’s not for me doing that with another strip on. But even small details like that and other managers I’ve spoken to speak really highly of him as well

Would I have enjoyed playing for Ange? I think I would have. I’m not so sure I would enjoy playing for him at 37! I’d be struggling to keep up with the lads, that’s for sure.”

Celtic hero Scott Brown has praised Ange Postecoglou's recruitment at Celtic, calling it "exceptional".

The former Hoops captain, who is currently in charge of English League One side Fleetwood Town, feels the Australian deserves plenty of praise for how he has performed in the transfer market.

Brown in particular highlighted how the 57-year-old has used his knowledge of the J1 League to bring in player such as Kyogo Furuhashi, Reo Hatate and Daizen Maeda.

He said: "His recruitment has been exceptional. There’s been a lot of British people coming to the club from England as well.

"But he’s got great recruitment. I know he was over in Japan for a time and he would have seen and understood what they are like

You can see how well the players that have come over and bought into his understanding of the way he wants to play football and the way the club is as well.”

bagforlife likes this.