1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. wulliebad

Every time you wander onto a sports web site there is a link to something about who wants Ange next...I for one am * sick of the medias drive to remove the Celtic manager.

2. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I have been reading lately in the print media that some articles refer to Ange 'Postecoglu' as the Celtic manager.

That would make Ange an ethnic Turk, which he is not - 'oglu' is common with Turkish sur-names. This means 'son of'.

His name is Ange Postecoglou, which is Greek and the ending signifies his family originated from Asia Minor, probably being there before moving to Greece to avoid civil disturbances. Many had to change/ alter their names in accord with government requirements and to be distinguished as of Greek orthodox origin.

Much the same as in people in North Macedonia having 'o/evski' at the end of their sur-names. Many are of Bulgarian origin and speak a form of Bulgarian dialect. For example, Dimitrov becomes Dimitrovski, Petrov becomes Petrovski, Iliev becomes Ilievski etc

3. The Magnificent 7 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I believe Ange to be a man of integrity who will not leave The Club in the middle of a season. He’s not about to depart Celtic for a relegation threatened club. He frequently mentions the passion of our support and the fact that as a massive Football Club we deserve so much more success.

Ange has already stated he’s looking ahead to the next 4 transfer windows as part of his long term planning for The Club.

I know we’ll probably lose some players either in January, or next summer, but don’t you just know Ange has a list of replacements pencilled in already?

In short the Gaffer has lots yet he wants to achieve with Celtic so let’s relax about him jumping ship anytime soon.

That’s my thoughts for what it’s worth.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  4. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    With you all theway there. It's a perfect fit for both parties, literally perfect. Imagine his status if and when he gets us to a last 4/8 of the CL, or winning the Europa? It's what he's been working towards his whole life. He's going nowhere till he achieves his goal or it all falls apart.

The Magnificent 7 likes this.
  5. StevieBhoooy!

https://www.wikihow.com/Be-Fun-at-Parties?amp=1

https://www.nytimes.com/guides/smarterliving/be-better-at-parties

King Kwon and Wllm like this.
  6. Patrick Bateman

It really depends who gets sacked in the EPL.

I wasn't really surprised that the Chelsea rumour turned into hot air, as those smelly pensioners don't much like our football club.

I think you have to remember that Ange has taken the scenic route to the top of the game. It's taken him a very long time to finally get some recognition for his ability. And he's pushing 60. So perhaps he might be in a bit of a hurry to get his shot in one of the biggest leagues.

That being said, I think he's grateful that Celtic took a gamble on him when he was a relative unknown. And i agree he seems like he has some backbone and wouldn't just do a Brendan Rogers on us.

But the real question is, if Ange was to leave suddenly, would we give Martin O'Neill a call to step in at short notice?

I think he's slightly past his best years, but just for nostalgic reasons I'd like to see him in that dugout one last time. And it would cheer us all up a bit from the downer if we lost Ange.

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  7. leeso-ardoyne

This is where the board could * it all up on him then he bails. Only time will tell. As much as I hate that * Rodgers for the way he left us, the board definitely had a part to play in it although I don't think they'll make the same mistake twice.

8. ddub11

When the rite deal comes along at the rite time he will be gone.Forget about all this talk of him loving the club and getting us.
    We have heard it all before from players and managers about how great the place is and how much they love it and then the money is waved in front of them and the opportunity to compete at a higher level and their gone.

Dont get me wrong i hope he stays and i believe he could seriously improve us(in Europe) but managers are like players they want to dine at the top table and sadly as much as we love our club we are not at the top .

9. BigDoggyWoofWoof

This is the reality of it. As someone else said, when it happens depends on who gets sacked. Mid-table team with a bit of money to spend comes calling, he's away. The idea that he has more ties to the club than Rodgers is a bit ridiculous, given the same scenario the same thing would happen.

ddub11 likes this.
  10. Melb Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Im not so sure. I think I side with the guys who talk about his integrity. He sees this as an opportunity to make a mark on the club & leave a legacy. the opporutinties for him willl come every year, maybe more depending how often they sack someone down south, but I think it'll only be when he thinks hes left a legacy and proved himself to a point whereby a real chance comes knocking at a top team. The reality is he hasnt done much yet up here in terms of longevity & Europe. I personally think that'll all change this year as I think we've got a good chance at a treble & out of the groups but thats just me getting carried away! I reckon we've got 5 years still with Ange, fingers crossed.

11. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    FFS calm down,lets just enjoy the man and his footbal style.
    Mon the Ange Hail Hail

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  12. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Given that you were "100%" certain the St Mirren game would not go ahead I don't think I will pay much heed to your definitions of reality.

13. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I agree.

I also think that he has been allowed control over most of the club's procedures and running that he wouldn't get that elsewhere. I'm not saying he would demand it in his next job but it would have to be an offer from a club where that wouldn't matter. I can't see that being Leicester or anyone finishing outside the top 6 in England tbh.

14. honda Gold Member Gold Member

He'll always leave one day. Imo this is training season in the champions league. Next season he will expect results. Its a huge step up thatll be less with every year we get in and get used to that level. Imo he's here another 2 years after this year minimum.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  15. Patrick Bateman

I guess the question is, what is actually realistically possible in the champions league?

And does Ange enjoy such monumental challenges? Or would he prefer an "easier" job with a club that has real financial clout? ("easier" because nothing in this game is actually easy)

Strachan got us into the knockout stages twice on a shoestring budget, but that was quite a few years ago now. And the economic reality has gotten even more stark for clubs like us.

That being said, personally I've never bought into the idea that success in the CL is impossible without big money. It's very VERY difficult, but not impossible. If you asked most people was it possible for Leicester City to win the EPL before they pulled it off, most fans would have said it was impossible. But it clearly wasn't impossible, just VERY difficult.

Some people enjoy pulling rabbits out of hats, they get a buzz out of those type of challenges. But you would have to say that these people are a very rare breed. We were lucky as a club, we had one of the greatest examples in the game with big jock. But they're an endangered species in the modern game.

Maybe Ange will look up at that statue in front of paradise, and dream about taking on those same big challenges. You just never know.

16. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Add into it the fact that this is his first 'big job' in Europe (no disrespect intended toward his old clubs.

You just can't see Ange wanting his CV looking as choppy as it would be leaving Celtic after 1.5 seasons

17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I wouldnt say impossible either. You can see it lately with teams that are considered small beating the big boys. It's a cup run and anything can happen. We score all our chances for once in our existence and we would've dispatched of the actual champions. Never say never. Sport is for fairytale endings. It's the reason people watch, to witness those miracles. Every decade or so one story such as Leicester comes along.

Patrick Bateman and Double Dutch like this.
  18. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    There's chat he's about to enter discussions over a long term deal. As been said multiple times by other posters, Ange is going nowhere this season.

19. Patrick Bateman

:62:

20. PaddyJamieson

This media campaign has been embarrassing. They are so scared of us and so desperate for us to lose, for Ange to leave, they're literally inventing rumour after rumour to unsettle us. I can't remember them being this scared of us ever. Even under Rodgers was there the same campaign to get out manager out? I don't remember.

Get it up yes. Ange is staying.