1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Take my * money.

2. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    About time, I've been looking forward to this

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou says he wants Celtic fans to follow the club's lead and be "respectful" of any measures put in place to honour the death of the Queen - including Sunday's minute of applause at St Mirren.

The Monarch passed away aged 96 last week prompting a complete shutdown of football across the UK. Last weekend's Premiership fixtures were postponed meaning Sunday's visit to St Mirren will be the first domestic football they have played since the news broke last Thursday.

They travelled to Poland on Wednesday to face Shakhtar Donetsk where two banners referencing The Queen's death were displayed in the away end. And while Postecoglou insists he won't speak for anyone else, he says the club will respect the minute's applause which will take place ahead of kick-off on Sunday - and wants to see fans to do the same.

He said: "I have the same message to our fans that we always have. We've always abided by the protocols, we wore black armbands on Wednesday night.

"I think there's a minute's applause (on Sunday), we'll abide by the obligations and responsibilities we have. We'll do that in a respectful manner and we want our supporters to do the same.

"I'm not going to speak on behalf of anyone else. We'll look after our own club, our own supporters, and we'll do whatever is required, as we have done so far in a fairly respectful way."

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  4. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    The word choice there tells me what he thinks of it. He’s always very considered with his word choice too.

5. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    His wee smirk the other day tells you more about what he thinks of it, it was * perfect.

Big man is keeping himself right, as will the players and the club as a whole. What's more intriguing to me is how he responds to the inevitable outrage he'll inevitably be asked to comment on. As you say, his wording is always so good, I canny want to hear him slap them all down :57:

Draupnir, greengrocer and Ciaran_67 like this.
  6. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Miyjtiland against Lazio 5-1. Six chances = five goals. Their finishing was superb and calmly done. Defenders should be on alert, attackers cool and clinical to score.

7. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    He never says a bad word about the fans. I love him

aliceinsound, Rydo1888* and Hammy89 like this.
  8. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    This is what he's trained to to say, stay neutral, and be careful with his wording. They have to deliver the message while trying to keep majority fans on side. Fan groups are volatile and if you are generally on the losing side of the fans you've just made your work incredibly hard as a manager

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Didn't stop Lennon from doing it

murphy88 likes this.
  11. Martybhoy53

3:17 is that a hun lickspittle asking the questions?

12. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    I don't know why they don't just put it up for streaming. You have one log in and then can add as many 'products' as you want. Saves the £5 P&P as well plus overseas bods can watch too.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  13. murphy88

“My heart sank.” Then the other year walks out at Fir Park sporting a poppy. * fraud.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

ANGE POSTECOGLOU has joked he can't wait to meet Alan Brazil after the talkSPORT radio host branded his Celtic appointment a "wind-up".

The Aussie was named Parkhead manager in June last year and the selection was met with a shocked reaction across Scotland.

Postecoglou was an unknown figure in the Scottish Premiership and reacting to the news, Brazil said live on-air: “Celtic have applied for exemption with UEFA for Yokohama Marinos boss, what is it, Postecooglou? (sic), to manage in Europe.

He does not hold the required licence – oh, this has got to be a wind-up.”

Asked how he’d fare, Brazil sarcastically replied: “Oh, he’d be a great manager. Where do they come up with these guys from?”

Postecoglou heard the radio remark and saw the funny side when he appeared on BT Sport's Currie Club podcast.

Chris Sutton said: “You had a big hug with Ally McCoist. The last Celtic manager to get that close was Neil Lennon and you know what happened there!”

Postecoglou then responded: “That didn’t end well did it! The one I am waiting for is big Alan Brazil. He has dodged me the whole time.

“Ally has at least come up and said hello!”

Asked if he had proved a point, he continued: “No. Why would I prove a point to someone I don’t know. I’m not talking about Alan here but just in general.

“I think we just judge people too quickly and too easily. I will never let that bother me.

“There are people I respect, the people close to me, the ones I know and love friends and family, if they say something about me or I have done something wrong, then that affects me.

“But it doesn’t bother me.

OziBeerMan and Gazzi79 like this.
  15. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    That Video on BT Sports class! Love the guy, could listen to him all day

16. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Lennon being the exception....lol

17. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    It might be worthwhile keeping an eye on the big Aberdeen striker Bojan Miovskias as he's been scoring regularly and wouldn't burst the bank.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou has reiterated his call for Celtic fans to respect the minute’s applause for the Queen planned before kick-off against St Mirren in Paisley on Sunday.

The Parkhead club are already in the dock with UEFA after supporters unfurled anti-monarchy banners in Wednesday’s Champions League draw with Shakhtar Donetsk in Poland. Hoops chiefs are hoping to avoid any further embarrassment at the SMISA Stadium this weekend as clubs all over the country prepare to mark Queen Elizabeth II’s death last week and funeral on Monday.

Postecoglou said: “I have the same message to our fans that we always have. As I said before the game (against Shakhtar), we will abide by the protocols. We wore black armbands on Wednesday night. I think there’s a minute’s applause, we will abide by whatever obligations and responsibilities we have as a football club. We will do that in a respectful manner. We want our supporters to do the same.”

Saints boss Stephen Robinson echoed the sentiment and said: “I can only speak for us as a football club and myself. We’ll be showing our utmost respect. We just hope everybody is respectful.”

Celts are sweating over a UEFA rap after the fan behaviour in Poland – which included a banner saying ‘F*** the Crown’. Postecoglou said: “With all these things there are regulations and authorities in charge and that’s why they’re called investigations.

“If it’s proven that we did the wrong thing and there are ramifications, we’ve got to accept those ramifications. We represent a large supporter base worldwide and we want to do things in the most respectful way that portrays our football club in the right light. Whatever you do you should be allowed to express whatever opinion or feeling you have.”

Postecoglou doesn’t want any distractions from the stands as his side look to build on their sensational start to the league season. Celtic have clattered 25 goals in six consecutive wins and the manager is convinced there will be no after-effects from the Champions League glamour clashes with Real Madrid and Shakhtar.

He said: “It’s no different challenge for us. It’s the same challenge irrespective of who we’re playing against. I think we’ve shown this year we want to make sure we are the best we can be – that’s whether it’s the Champions League, the league or the cup competitions.

“We have been pretty consistent in our approach of the next game being the most important and we want to put our best foot forward again. St Mirren’s form has been pretty good this year and we know it’s a tough place to go, as we saw last year. From our perspective, we’ve started the league campaign really strongly and we want to continue that trend.”

Celtic stumbled to a 0-0 draw in Paisley last season when Postecoglou’s squad was being stretched to the limit. The Aussie has the luxury of plenty of options this weekend but admitted OIiver Abildgaard is likely to be held back until after the impending international break.

Postecoglou said: “We’re still looking at how we’ve washed up from Wednesday but no one has flagged and everyone is available. I’ll have a look but we’ve worked hard to get a strong enough squad so if we need to make changes then the levels don’t drop.

“With the international break coming we can put out a really strong team and hopefully maintain the performance levels. Abildgaard? Not at this stage. He missed pre-season and wasn’t working with a club.We’re hoping with the International break and spending two weeks with him he’ll be in better shape.”

19. BigDoggyWoofWoof

I think it's probably quite likely he's been asked to tactfully request that the fans behave respectfully. Sort of gives the club a certain amount of distance from any fans that carry on. As there's been no home games, it gives the club a bit of distance as well, they don't really have to do anything.

20. leeso-ardoyne

He should have said something along the lines what Martin O'Neil said. I think it was the fans aren't going to listen to me etc...