1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Andrew Gutman

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by 88jimmij88, Feb 3, 2019.

Discuss Andrew Gutman in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

All these questions for the Mystery Machine team.

Peej likes this.
  2. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Looked solid in Austria with Mikey Johnson

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Peej likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic player Andrew Gutman is hoping to “kick on” after a loan spell under a legendary Dutchman.

Work permit issues mean the American full-back is currently back home on loan with MLS side FC Cincinatti, who are managed by former Holland and Manchester United defender Jaap Stam.

The 23-year-old, who signed for Celtic last year following a spell on trial at Rangers, is hopeful he can break into Neil Lennon’s plans.

Speaking to STV News, he said: “I had to go on loan so the biggest thing for me was to get an opportunity at a high level.

I have been able to do that in the MLS and really improved my game over the last five months.”

The chance to work under the 66-times capped Stam, who won the Champions League and three Premier League titles at Manchester United, has proved invaluable for Gutman.

He said: “He has been fantastic for me and really given me good advice on my defending, but also my willingness to go forward.

“And when someone like Jaap Stam comes to talk to you, you are going to listen. He has been at the highest level and my aim is to get to the highest level I possibly can.”

After experiencing the Celtic Park atmosphere, Gutman is desperate for a chance in the first team when he returns to Glasgow.

He said: “I had conversations when I was back at Celtic – obviously the big issue was my work permit – but what I got out of the conversation is that the manager really likes me, he rates me.

“But I need to kick on at a first-team level to show my qualities. So hopefully after this loan spell I can go back and kick on at Celtic.

“I have been watching all the games and keep in touch with some of the guys on the team. My whole goal when I signed was to play for the first team at Celtic and do as best as I can there.

“I have been to multiple games and I don’t think there is a better stadium in the world for how passionate the fans are.

“I went to one of the games against Dundee, so not one of the massive games, and there was 60,000 people there chanting and as soon as I walked in I got goosebumps because I had never experienced anything like that.

“You don’t get anything like that over here, even at NFL games or NBA games. So to be able to walk out on to the pitch one day in front of those fans would be a dream come true.”

Despite being on a trial at their Glasgow rivals when Celtic made their interest known, the Illinois native knew straight away he wanted to sign.

He said: “As an American I think we don’t truly understand the rivalry between Celtic and Rangers but I think when I got over there I understood it a lot better.

“During my trial with Rangers I heard that Celtic were interested and for me thinking about my development and career path, I decided Celtic would be the right choice for the quality of players there and how big the club is.

Rydo1888* and tarboltontim like this.
  4. celtic20

Was apparently brilliant against Atlanta United last week. That was some win for Cincinnati too. The fans there are starting to love him. Bodes well for his return!

PhillyCelticSupporter likes this.
  5. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I've always quite liked the look of him, hardworking, fit player with a decent left foot. When he comes back in January we should loan him to a team like Kilmarnock or Motherwell or whoever and see him in our own League before next season.

6. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    He needs a cap before we can entertain a work permit I believe

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

7. Priest

If he continues his form he will probably get one, he made the squad for a tournament when he was playing in the USFL last season.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  8. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I’m convinced this signing was made purely for money laundering

9. ladbroke8

You got any solid evidence or just a feeling in your gut man?

The_Bhoy, RiquelmeCSC and MickeyyMack like this.
  10. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Started dippin his paws in that department during the construction of the commonwealth games. All I’m prepared to say on the matter

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Keano88

He would fit the LWB role perfectly as well.

Looked class last pre-season I think it was.

Artorias likes this.
  13. Foley1888

It is a shame he can’t actually get a work permit as would be worth a try in the role. He will never have got a better chance to make an impression.

Dan Breen, BigWilly and Liam Scales like this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    A shame we can't properly add him to our roster...

16. DonnyCelt

So we bought him, never played him, now looking to sell him. Great business model.

Peej likes this.
  17. Bazza Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Its a grand old team to play for
    What about thw other American that signed the same day? Manny Perez, how's he getting on?

18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    He didn't cost us a signing fee and I would assume because he has mostly been on loan he has not cost us hardly anything wages wise. It was a gamble to sign a promising young American player but hardly a bad one. It didn't work out because he never broke into the US national team and so could never get a work permit. If we now turn around and keep him loaned out to FC Cincinnati then no harm done just a deal that didn't work out.

19. freitassen

Find whoever sanctioned this deal and force this person to repay the losses at gunpoint.

eire4 likes this.
  20. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Are you American by any chance?:fear:

freitassen likes this.