1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

All Time XI draft - Ranking Card

Discussion in 'Competition Corner' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 13, 2016.

Discuss All Time XI draft - Ranking Card in the Competition Corner area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    This is where you upload your formation and if you want to, tell us a bit about your tactics and/or players.

Once all teams are uploaded, PM your votes for the following categories.

Best Team

Best Attack

Best Midfield

Best Defence

--------------

Giving someone 1st place earns them 5 points, 2nd place 4 points, 3rd place 3 points and so on.

I suggest using www.sharemytactics.com to upload your formation. You position your players on the pitch and enter their name in the positions box on the left. Then select a team name and submit your team. You will then be given a forum code. Paste that forum code into this thread.

Still to submit their team in this thread:

James

Hodor
    JC Anton
    Scotia
    Mark82
    V for Vendetta
    TheHolyGoalie
    Rupert
    Keano

---------------

Any Questions, send me a PM

Keep discussion for the other thread please.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2016
  2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    [​IMG]

Goalie
    The phenomenal Peter Schmeichel. A man who commands and organises his defence so well. He is everything you want in a goalkeeper and a great shot stopper. Hugely successful at club and international level. Also the winner of an abundance of individual awards including UEFA goalkeeper of the year 4 times, along with winning 'World's best goalkeeper' awards twice.

Defence
    On the left I have one of the best defenders of all time, a true one club man, spending his entire 25 season career at AC Milan, before retiring age 41. He boasts records such as most all time appearances for AC Milan, along with 7 Serie A's and FIVE Champions League wins.

In the centre of defence, I have Thuram and Desailly, two World Cup and European Championship winners. Absolutely solid defenders with excellent reading of the game.

On the right, I have Cafu, a man who epitomised the modern full back bombing up and down the wing in support of both attack and defence. A 2 time World Cup winner and also a Champions League and Copa Libertadores winner (twice), he'd be a headache for any opponent.

Midfield

Sergio Busquets is a three times Champions League winner, a one time world cup winner and a one time European Championship winner. He's underrated due to the company he plays in. An incredibly intelligent footballer, with great understanding of attack and defence. His protection of the defence and aid of the attack is so valuable to the way the modern Barcelona play, arguably the greatest club side ever.

Steven Gerrard would be my box to box midfielder. A potent attacking thread with a few wonderstrikes, he'd also be my captain. Zinedine Zidane was desperate for Real Madrid to sign him and in my opinion, he was the best midfielder in the world at one point.

Paul Scholes is another attacking threat from the centre of the park, with passing surpassed by no-one. Sir Alex Ferguson once stated him as his best player and one of the true world class players he had managed at Man U. A hugely successful player.

Attack

Neymar out on the left wing, a tricky attacking player and tipped to be the next 'best player in the world', he's already scored 221 goals in just 336 appearances at club level. His record for Brazil is 46 goals in 70. That's better stats than most players get in an entire career and he's still only 24. An absolutely phenomenal attacking player who would give my attack width, but also capable of contributing a lot of goals.

Arjen Robben, renowned for his speed and technical ability, would be interchanging with Neymar on the other wing. Another potent goal threat, he would also be excellent for driving the ball up the pitch to take pressure off the defence when the team is up against it.

David Villa is one of the most lethal finishers I've ever seen, that's why he would spearhead this attack. 318 goals in 648 games is an extremely impressive return, along with 59 goals for Spain in 97 appearances, making him Spain's all time top scorer. He was the winner of the Euro golden boot as Spain lifted the trophy in 2008. His link up play was fantastic and he was also great at free kicks and penalties. He is an intelligent forward whose movement creates space for his teammates, also being able to drop deep to collect the ball and provide assists.

---------------------------

World Cups: 6
    European Championships: 6
    Copa Americas: 2

Uefa European Cups/Champs League: 18
    Uefa Cups: 2
    Uefa Cup Winners Cups: 1
    Copa Libertadores: 3

Premier League wins: 18
    Serie A wins: 14
    La Liga wins: 13
    Bundesliga wins: 5
    Other league wins: 10

Total League wins: 59

Domestic cups: 43

Intercontinental Cups: 5
    Fifa Club World cups: 9

This list doesn't include one of 'Super Cup' games, domestically or European. Nor does it count Fifa Confederations Cups.

Fun fact: This team has a combined 1,178 full international caps between them, with 6 of the team having over 100 caps for their country and the lowest amount of caps for one player being 66.

3. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    [​IMG]

Formation: A classic well-balanced 4-3-3.

Defence: Two dynamic game-changing fullbacks patrolling either flank with the back four anchored by the greatest defender ever produced by South America and one of Italy's finest. Germany's greatest keeper patrols the nets, and that's saying something for a nation with so many good keepers down the years.

Midfield: The 'eighth King of Rome' is the orchestral base of my three-man midfield which also features the best player of the 1958 World Cup and a certain outspoken Bavarian.

Attack: Pretty obvious really, a bow-legged dribbling wonder flies down the right with a potent scoring threat on the opposite wing and everyone's favourite master of tax avoision floating around up top.

Fun fact: My team boasts a total of 77 league wins, 11 World Cup wins and 806 international caps.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  4. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    [​IMG]

Total football from back to front. Every player dedicated to play football the best way.

5. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

[​IMG]

Tommy Gemmell is in there on merit, the way he could strike a ball was unbelievable..

Aguero, Ronaldo and Suarez although still playing are already greats and will achieve more than most..

Suarez IMO will win the next Ballon D'or..

Xavi is the best midfielder I've seen.. Sammer holds it all together..

Lahm had everything a great player.

There's goals in this team..

7. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  8. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    [​IMG]

World Cup winning goalkeeper dictating to a solid central core of his Italian counterparts in defence. The full backs are there to bomb on and in Brehme I have one of the best crossers of the ball, equally comfortable cutting back onto his right foot. The right flank is surely up there, with Alberto and Jairzinho hopefully linking up for more great goals like 1970. Bobby Murdoch hitting screamers but equally there for cutbacks to knock home. Pirlo the magician pulling all sorts of strings and dinking passes to the deft finishers of Henke and Alex up top. A heyday Giggs to tear any right back apart. Free kicks would see a few arguments as to who is hitting them, but Brehme would be on the pens! Beppe "The Uncle" Bergomi as Captain.

A total of 69 League titles between them.

9. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
  10. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    [​IMG]

An all out attacking team mixed with some of the finest raw talent the world has ever seen.

Defence- Neuer in goal which pretty much means I have another defender on the pitch, he will sweep up and play the ball out short to any of my centre backs when in possession. The 3 defenders split and stay central with Marius Tresor playing sweeper a position with Claudio Gentile and Ciro Ferrara in front, both two of the best Italian centre backs ever and 2 of the men in the times top 50 hardest footballers of all time these guys pack a punch in tackling. Despite the lack of a full back the defenders follow the play to either side and go where needed while Tresor drops and covers from behind. Frank Rijkaard plays what in modern terms is the Kante role and offers support where ever it is needed at the back breaking up play but then unlike Kante driving forward and picking out a pass into the midfield.

Midfield- Is where the magic happens, Rijkaard who himself is capable of producing magic will join the attack which should come though either Zidane or Charlton, all 3 are capable of a long shot if the chance comes. Both creative midfielders then look up and either spread the play out wide or try and play the ball into a forward. Van Basten drops deeper than Romario to offer extra support if needed and helps link the play up. Both Best and Cantona can either cut in or run down the wings. Depending on the oppositions defence the 2 forwards push into the channels dragging both centre backs which offers the chance for the wingers to cut inside into the space and receive the ball or give the centre mids the opportunity to drive on, with the centre backs following the strikers and full backs following the wingers it drags the opposition about leaving numerous options for the midfield.

Strikers- 527 goals in 728 games top flight games. Romario offers the pace and is the more advanced of the two, he sits on the edge of the last defender waiting to break clear while Basten drops a little deeper looking to collect the ball before shooting or trying to find Romario or the wingers. Both players interchange with each other and wingers and when on the attack Best and Cantona should effectively make this 4 strikers. The strikers also run wide to allow the wingers the chance to cut in themselves and Van Basten dropping deep gives the defenders a choice of either following him and losing position or stick and risk Van Basten time on the ball or one of his teams midfielders having to drop back and losing a centre mid.

All in all a complete team with a emphasis on attack but with a diamond shaped defence which is more than capable of breaking up anything the opposition has to offer.

63 league titles between them

Fun Fact- I'm having chicken and salad for tea

11. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    [​IMG]

Goalkeeper: Voted best goalkeeper in the world 3 times in a row in 1989, 1990 and 1991, Walter Zenga was a colossus between the sticks for Inter and the Italian national team. He went a total of 518 minutes without conceding a goal at Italia 90, a World Cup record which still stands to this day. Italy has always been blessed with quality goalkeepers, Zenga rates as one of the finest.

Defence: A back 3 of Baresi, Nesta and Stam. Is there much more to be said? Each of their names are a byword for world class defending.

Wingbacks: Beckham might be better known for his career off the field than on it these days but don't forget just how good he was. Considered by many to be the best crosser of a ball in footballer history. A true icon of the world game.

Zambrotta played with distinction for clubs such as Juventus, Barcelona and AC Milan in his glittering career. He also earned 98 caps for Italy over an 11 year period. The highlight of his international career was undoubtedly the 2006 World Cup triumph, he played all but one of Italy's matches on the way to glory in Berlin and was named in the Team of the Tournament.

Midfield: The quiet man who's played an integral part in Spain and Barcelona's domination of football in the past 8 years, Andres Iniesta has a trophy cabinet that'd make most footballers blush. 8 La Liga titles, 4 Copa Del Rey's, 4 Champions League's, 2 European Championships and the World Cup in which he scored the winner in the final. A modern great.

The golden boy of German football, Michael Ballack. One of the best midfielders of his generation, box-to-box, combative, technical, a terrific goal threat... he had it all. Could be argued he won less in football than his talent deserved, he was runner up in the 2002 World Cup and two CL finals with Bayer and Chelsea respectively. 3 League and Cup doubles in a row with Bayern Munich is a half decent return though...

Forwards: Johan Cruyff, a football phenomenon. Sadly passed away earlier this year but his impact on the game as both a player and a manager will echo throughout the ages. As far as I'm concerned he is the best European player in football history.

Best remembered for his time at Barcelona, Rivaldo set the world alight with his technique and flamboyance. He got to back to back World Cup finals with Brazil in 1998 and 2002, winning the latter, as well as the Balon D'or in 1999. One of Brazil's best and that's saying something.

Last but by no means least, The King of Rome... Francesco Totti. In an age of big money transfers and mercenary players, Totti has stayed loyal to his beloved Roma through thick and thin. Making his debut at 17 he is still starring for the Giallorossi two months short of his 40th birthday, the record scorer and appearance holder for Roma, darling of the support doesn't come close to describing the love the Curva Sud have for one of their own. Second top goalscorer in Serie A history, World Cup winner, at home as a Trequartista or as a central striker... The last of a dying breed.

12. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    [​IMG]

Defence: Between the goalkeeper and back four, there are 31 league titles. I think when it comes to defence it's important to have winners and leaders, and all five could be considered as such. All five have also won European cups. Id fancy the five of them to be able to hold off any waves of attacks while also being able to play out and distribute the ball to midfielders at ease. McNeill and Kohler would also pose a threat from set pieces. Carbrini and Zanetti were both extremely quick and athletic going forward so would be able to pose a threat on the overlap.

Midfield: The two holding midfielders are Keane and Redondo, although I had a younger Roy Keane in mind when picking him so he would have a bit more of a license to get forward and make late runs into the box, and chip in with goals. Redondo would be more of a deep lying playmaker, receiving the ball deep and getting the wingers and forwards involved. He would be the one I'd want to dictate the game and get on the ball as much as possible. Defensively him and Keane were both aggressive players and it would be very difficult to play through them. In front of them is Di Stefano, who is more of a support striker than a midfielder. I don't need to say much about him really other than he would create and score a * load from that position. On the wings I've gone for pace and trickery more than anything with Overmars, and pace and work rate on the other side with Donadoni. Means there would be a good balance between attack and defence making the team comfortable in terms of possession football and in defending deep and counter attacking.

Strikers: Mullers record speaks for itself. He would score a tonne of goals with those players behind him creating chances for him, there is also Di Stefano just behind him who would ensure there was no over reliancy on him in terms of goals, but Muller would be the highest forward at all times, scoring anything that comes into the penalty box.

There's 73 league titles among my team and countless European trophies, it's a team of winners that would be extremely tough to beat against any side, and would cause any team constant problems.

Edit: Just so it's clear, I'm counting Di Stefano as a forward along with Muller. Overmars and Donadoni are midfielders.

13. James Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

Stanley Matthews remains the best player I have ever seen live

14. Keano88

[​IMG]

Roberto Carlos & Dani Alves will have license to bomb forward.

Tardelli will sit just in front of the two one club warriors Puyol & Terry, making it 3 at the back when the two Brazilians bomb on.

Seedorf & Nedved will add even more energy and work rate to Midfield... Nedved will be the one looking to break forward and try to get in on the goals. Seedorf will just sit and keep things ticking over.

Baggio sitting just behind the front two linking play, creating and scoring goals.

Ronaldo will also drop deep at times to collect the ball and look to use his amazing dribbling skills to bamboozle defences.

McGrory will do what he does best and chill in and around the penalty area and bag goal after goal.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Best Team
    1. CheGuevara
    Joint 2. Mr.Fawlty & Minty
    Joint 3. JC Anton & V for Vendetta

Best Attack
    1. CheGuevara
    2. Mr.Fawlty
    3. JC Anton

Best Midfield
    1. V for Vendetta
    2. Hodor
    3. JC Anton

Best Defence
    1. Minty
    2. Raoul
    3. TheHolyGoalie67

----------------

Well done lads. The next draft will be up in a few days. Thanks for taking part.

16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Feel free to discuss the results in here now lads. :50:

17. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Think those results are fair, some really good teams and hard choices but overall a worthy winner, well done Che!

Thanks for the midfield votes will inform the Doc to tell Brendan to get a few of them signed up

And thanks Minty for running it!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2016
  18. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Well done lads :50:

Cheers for organising Minty, it was actually more challenging than I thought it would be. The winners are pretty similar to what I voted.

19. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Quite similar to my votes this actually.

Congrats Che :50:

Every team was up there, found it really difficult to decide. Easiest choice was Minty's defence.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :smoke:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.