1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Alistair Johnston

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by 88jimmij88, Nov 24, 2022.

Discuss Alistair Johnston in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Is it really £6m, fk me that's a lot.

2. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That's it game's a bogey. Get Ange tae *.

3. DonnyCelt

Imagine if he was coming in for competition to JJ instead of instantly replacing him.

donnegal celt and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  4. freederry20

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Wanyama, Hartson, Balde, Petrov, Lennon, Commons, Boruc, Brown, Van Dyk.
    Where are 6 million reports coming from?

5. Foley1888

It was €6m and it’s transfermarkt value rather than the likely fee we will pay for him. I think it will be likely closer to half that figure we will be paying.

On the game today I thought the Canadian shape played into Croatia’s hands when they tweaked their own shape. The right wing back ahead of Johnston was nowhere to be seen pulling him out wide and creating spaces between him and the central, centre back of their back three.

Johnston didn’t have a good game but I think this was enhanced by the lack of support and cover he got in the shape they were playing. He will be a full back in our system where based on his highlights he looks a lot more comfortable.

Gazzi79, freederry20 and Wllm like this.
  6. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Record reporting a 3m fee.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are confident World Cup ace Alistair Johnston will be on the way after thrashing out a deal with Montreal FC worth up to £3m.

The Hoops are understood to have agreed terms with the MLS outfit for the promising full back – who has caught the eye with his displays in Qatar with Canada. The 24-year-old squared up with Celtic defender Josip Juranovic in Doha on Sunday, with the Croatian coming out on top in a 4-1 win. But Johnston has been tipped as a possible replacement for the right back – with Juranovic stalling over a new deal and expected to be on the move in January or at the end of the season.

Celts boss Ange Postecoglou has already lined up centre back Yuki Kobayashi from Vissel Kobe to check in on January 1 and Johnston is now set to join the Japanese star once formalities are completed in Scotland. The former Nashville SC product – who will pocket 10 percent of the transfer fee – will not face any work permit issues as he has a UK passport through his Northern Irish mother.

Johnston previously spoke of his pride at being linked with the Hoops as he dropped a major hint the deal was in the works before the weekend. He said: “It’s an honour just being linked with them, my phone’s been blowing up. To be linked with a club like Celtic is obviously something I think every footballer is excited by.

It’s one of the most passionate fan bases in the world. It’s a club that even people who don’t follow football know who it is. I’m super excited to get linked to them. “But right now, the focus is just solely on the national team. Club things, that will get figured out once January hits.”

Juranovic has attracted attention from England and Spain since last summer and Celts are braced for concrete bids when the transfer window opens in January. The £2.5m signing from Legia Warsaw is understood to be in no hurry to leave but is keen to explore his options with a contract extension at Parkhead yet to be signed.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  8. DonnyCelt

As the article say, I also think he'll be here to compete with JJ rather than replace him in January.

9. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Think JJ will be here until the summer, good to get this lad in and settled before we lose Jura.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I think there will be speculation linking him away all January and he will be away on deadline day like Eddie last summer

11. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Although I wouldn't judge him on two games alone, I would argue that's the level we should judge players on if we want to progress at Champions League level. Johnston gives me the impression we stagnate a bit here. Would rather have a clear upgrade to Ralston if Juranovic really moves on.

ArminCeltic and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Anyone else getting slightly triggered by the name? Completely unnecessary but I can’t help it, it’s too staunch :giggle1:

It’s a real possibility I never take to this lad due to the name. He could become the new Cafu and I’ll still spend every second of his time here, trying to rip my arm off just so I have something to throw at him.

greengrocer likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Did Juranovic stand out at the Euros for Croatia last year? I'm not being snide but did people take notice of him? Genuine question

Danny 4692 likes this.
  14. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    So we're you impressed with his top class display against Belgium and all Canada's qualifiers where hes been one of their top performers? Or do you just judge players by one bad game? If that's the case De Bruyne must be the worst player on the planet

15. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Been catching up on his games to see what he's all about. From what I've seen so far, he's really handled himself well against the likes of Hazard, Pulisic, Rodriguez (NYC, decent wee player imo) and didn't give that Napoli lad Lozano a sniff against Mexico. That's a decent standard of player he's been up against and aquitted himself well.

Wasn't good against Croatia, but that was a collective team collapse. Have a good feeling about this guy...

Danny 4692 likes this.
  16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Have you seen his middle name? :56:

NomDePlum likes this.
  17. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

and he turned out not bad...

18. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    Can't see that happening at all, we don't need 3 right-backs. Juranovic will be away in January.

19. Mr. Slippyfist

Thought the laddie was abysmal yesterday.

Caught out of possession more times than I can remember, and looked completely out of his depth.

ArminCeltic likes this.
  20. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I'd give him lots of leeway yesterday as Canada were completely overrun by a classy Croatia team.. The entire Canadian team were out of their depth.

Also he seemed to be playing as center half when things went pear shaped and they tried chasing the game.

Defo won't be judging him on that game..

Blochairnbhoy likes this.