1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Alexandro Bernabei

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Henrik 07, Jun 10, 2022.

Discuss Alexandro Bernabei in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Hopefully he’s decent

Been so long we’ve needed to replace Teirney and tried with Laxalt, Taylor, Boli & Scales who have all been pish.

Hammy89 likes this.
  2. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    Bit unfair on taylor.hes not pish .i think hes a great player

3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'm not a huge fan of Taylor overall but he had a good season last year.

I think what's obvious with him is that we could upgrade. The rest were shocking.

Hammy89 likes this.
  4. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Already served one of his bans.

Genuinely think the delay is so we can get as many Lanus games out the way so he serves most, if not all, of his ban before coming to us.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  5. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    We would have to wait until Monday week to sign him if he was to sit out his full ban. A bullshit story about anything should cover the delay to sign.

Hammy89 likes this.
  6. saltire78

Ok, bit to unpack here, but here goes..

Tierney: absolutely awesome, but a 'generational' find- we'd never have been able to afford to buy in his prime
    Laxalt: started out quality and then very quickly got completely demoralised and disenfranchised by how he was used. We'll never know what he could have been.
    Taylor: not half as bad as people like to let on, but given we picked him up for peanuts it's amazing people are expecting him to be a brand new Tierney. A perfectly acceptable 1st team player, and would be an EXCELLENT 2nd choice.
    Boli: a fine enough player, just a self-centred *. If not for his baggage we'd all be quite happy with him right now, or he'd have been sold for a profit.
    Scales: was a left-sided midfielder who could also defend, if I remember correctly, who we put into LB because it suited us. Young, stepping up leagues and intensity, it could easily be argued that we killed his development.

Not gonna die on any of those hills, but just my opinions. Some people are missing the point of what to expect in relation to what we can attract to SPFL or what we can honestly expect in relation to replacing Tierney

stew37 likes this.
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Scales never was and never will be Celtic standard.

Boli is pish and would never have been sold for a profit. No positional sense whatsoever.

Taylor is a good back up but by far the weak link in the team and must be upgraded if we want to put up any serious challenge in Europe. Don’t think anyone was expecting him to be the new Tierney.

I don’t think anyone is missing the point of what we can expect. If we can sign guys like Kyogo, CCV, O’Riley, Jota (hopefully), Juranovic etc. Then why should we not be able to get someone of similar quality in at left back? Of course we can.

The Phoenix, Tommy25 and AdamRS like this.
  8. saltire78

Of course Scales wasn't 'celtic standard' (a term that carries an awful lot of weight) because he was a youth player, with a single full season in the Irish leagues who we then played out of position... Hence my thoughts that we actually killed his development. We'll see how he gets on with games etc this season, but he'll probably never make it beyond SPFL middle of the road now...

Nobody had any major issues with Boli, even though he had some clear shortcomings, until he completely screwed the pooch in the covid season. Not gonna fight over him, because he's a *, but I think his attitude was/is by far his biggest flaw over any skills/ability

Taylor is one of the best fullback players in the league. Saying he's the weakest link may be true, but it's completely disingenuous towards implying he's talentless/unworthy. He's absolutely not! Replace with better? Absolutely. But folk need to cut him more slack

As for the other signings, all I can say is that Ange's strike rate on 'risky' transfers has been phenomenal. If we'd the same success in this years windows it would probably alter our entire trajectory for about a decade in terms of ability and squad development. Hopefully it'll come to pass and we fill in quality for better quality!

9. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    * me you must be easily amused, they don't need to rely on one single thing to beat any team. Still small things amuse small minds (and i don't mean bernabei).

10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    More easily amused than you anyway, that's for sure.

:ange2:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  11. PaddyJamieson

I'm surprised some folk seem to be down about this. I think he is gonna he an incredible signing, just from watching videos and reading reports. Will add so much to how we play, defensively and going forward.

Keano88 and Wllm like this.
  12. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Im personally really excited abt this one. An agile, tenacious and pacey full back with skill? Yes please!

He does have flaws defensively but its definitely not to do with his height. Barisic is 6'1 and wee Abada retired his career at half time.

13. PaddyJamieson

Aye the height thing is a total non-issue, I think, just dinosaur logic. He's not even that wee. What does seem an issue is his positional sense defensively but from what I've seen he'll bring so much aggression to our defending down that left side which is currently lacking, as well as bravery and pace which will be needed to break presses.

Tommy25 and Wllm like this.
  14. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Me too mate. Obvious that some fans have reservations anout his height or lack of it. It's obvioys Ange wants attack minded players so it isn't a factor for me.

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Rapid, attacking South American full back. Buzzing just on that alone:56:

TESLA and Wllm like this.
  16. Keano88

South American, rapid, skilful, good on the ball, doesn’t panic in possession, links up well, loves to bomb forward and can even score a screamer or two.

Domestically in particular he’ll be unreal down the left with Jota in an attacking sense.

I’m sure Ange is well aware of his height as well, but knows what he’ll bring to the side in an attacking sense will outweigh any negatives that his height may bring.

Zanderama, Tommy25 and Liam Scales like this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Thing is, the inverted full back role makes recovery pace so much more useful than the ability to compete against diagonal’s against the full backs. Case in point, has anyone ever seen Juranovic win a header? Ralston’s aerial ability is probably only second to CCV in the full team, and the times it’s came in handy is defensively at set pieces, attacking at set pieces and when he’s been in the middle of the pitch.

Wllm and Keano88 like this.
  18. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Some of the runs in behind are very reminiscent of Tierney. Just on the clips alone he seems an upgrade on Taylor,who to be fair had a better second half of the season. But you would think Bernie is coming in to be a first team pick

Tommy25, Liam Scales and Keano88 like this.
  19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Finding a physical, tall, fast, full back who's good technically and has iron lungs to get up and down the park and can also play an inverted role is pretty much impossible on any budget in world football never mind ours.

You can be small and still be able to cope physically. The vast majority of sides we come up against at the top level won't be lumping high balls anyway.

Tommy25, Jacob knows and Wllm like this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye height would've been a welcome bonus but mobility/recovery pace is more important with how we play..

Hopefully other area's will have it though like Souza in the 6 and another centre half..

Wllm and Liam Scales like this.