1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Alan Thompson

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Aug 14, 2015.

Discuss Alan Thompson in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Never,never forget that Free Kick:49:

seanm, bagforlife and Doogs. like this.
  2. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Hartson looks the same as he did tbh.

moravcik1888, Taz and ThatBhoyLarsson like this.
  3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2021
  6. jj81

Should have challenged that wee goosebag lovenkrands

charlietully likes this.
  7. Mr. Slippyfist

Hopefully he batters him black and blue :fear:

seanm likes this.
  8. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

After his third bottle of red tonight, he’ll be back DM’ing sellick maw’s on twitter asking them to be ring girls

9. Dembele the next messi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
  10. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    lol true, Big John just looks the same.

11. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Brilliant left foot and a hammer of the huns on many an occasion. Definitely had that winning mentality that so many of Martin O'Neills players had.

KRS-1888 and eire4 like this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

ALAN Thompson revealed Neil Lennon hauled him into his office and asked if he’d been taking cocaine.

The ex-Celtic star, 47, told of his stunning confrontation with the then Parkhead boss as he lifted the lid on events behind the scenes at the club before he was axed as coach in 2012.

The showdown came around the same time Thompson was collared over the limit at the wheel by cops the morning after a booze-up.

The dad of three recalled: “We’d just won the league in May 2012 and everything was going swimmingly well — or so I thought!

“I had no idea that just weeks later I would be out the door at Celtic after only two years on the management staff.

“There’d been a few issues with myself away from the club which were well publicised in the media but nothing that I thought was worth me being fired.

Looking back at it now, there were signs that I should have seen something like that coming.

“One day I remember particularly was Lenny coming into the coaching office to see me at Lennoxtown Training Centre. ‘Tommo, can I have a word please?’, Lenny asks out of the blue

Well, you could have knocked me down with a feather as he went on to say certain members of the Celtic board had heard I was taking cocaine. Anyone who knows me will tell you the answer to that.”

Furious Thompson immediately denied the allegation and offered to let Celtic’s medical team do an on-the-spot drug test to prove he was clean.

He added: “I told Lenny straight that I was offended he’d even asked me that.
    “Then I told him to ring downstairs to the doctors and I’d take every single drug test in the world.

“I told him that even though I was petrified of injections, the club could take whatever they wanted from my body to test.

If I never see my three kids again, I have never touched any drugs in my life!
    “Regarding Lenny asking me that, I considered it as him putting a * in our friendship. I also didn’t like the way he did it in the manager’s office, it was all too official. As a friend, he could have asked me away from Celtic.”

The confrontation soured a close friendship that had once seen Tommo back his pal in court — though the pair are now on speaking terms again.

Millions of TV viewers watched live as Hearts fan John Wilson charged towards Lennon on the sidelines at Heart’s Tynecastle Park in May 2011.

Thompson said: “My memory is I was stood watching the game next to Lenny on the touchline with a pad in my hand when out of the corner of my eye I saw this unfamiliar figure.

“I saw it was a fan in a baseball cap and scarf, he had something in his hand and was going for Lenny in a violent manner.

“It was scary because for all we knew that guy could have been carrying a weapon. My instincts then took over and, just as he was about to get to Lenny, I sort of reached out at the last second and grabbed him around the neck.

“The fella was running so fast towards the gaffer that when I caught him it ruined his momentum and lifted his feet off the ground. To be fair to the Hearts stewards and Edinburgh police, they acted so quickly, got on top of him and held him on the ground.” Jobless labourer Wilson was later cleared of assaulting Lennon but jailed for eight months after being convicted of breach of the peace.

Thompson added: “The whole episode was a weird incident to be involved with and, of course, it was a seriously ugly night for Scottish football which dragged on for months and ended in a court case.

“I was there for two days in the witness box at an Edinburgh court. This may sound really silly but I found that whole case horrific.

“I felt like I’d done something wrong as — motoring offences aside — I’d never been in a court in my whole life.”

Tommo previously found himself in the dock when he was banned from the road in February 2011 after a late-night boozing session following an Old Firm game five months earlier. After admitting the charge at Glasgow Justice of the Peace Court he was suspended for 16 months and fined £600

Thompson, who was also convicted of drink-driving in 1996, said: “I was driving to Lennoxtown one morning after an Old Firm game.

“I know I shouldn’t have been doing it but I was on the phone, which is something I never do because I normally use Bluetooth.

“Police pulled me over because they saw me with my phone to my ear. Then they asked me to blow in one of their testers and I still had alcohol from the night before in my system and I received a ban.

“That didn’t look good on me and it didn’t look good for Celtic Football Club.
    “Many made out that I’d just been boozing then got behind the wheel, which is c**p, it was from the night previously. I didn’t know I was over the limit and I made a mistake.

Chief executive Peter Lawwell obviously didn’t want these things attached to the club, so it didn’t do me any favours.”

Thompson’s sacking in June 2012 over his alleged off-field lifestyle damaged his seemingly unbreakable bond with long-term pal Lenny.

It also brought a sour end to the Geordie’s love affair with the club, where he won eight trophies as a player from 2000 to 2007.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  17. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I remember hearing the coke rumours at the time. He was hanging around with Allan McGregor alot then

18. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Don’t think Thompson was the only guilty party in the backroom staff if he was guilty at all I know his drinking was bit out of control but theirs another person who was in that category and it wasn’t mjallby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I know I think Thompson took the fall for it. The whole backroom staff had a drinking culture. Its why he wasn't allowed to bring in his own staff 2nd time round

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Back on subject I was talking to mate who was in Ashton lane says he seen Lennon come out of cubicle with another guy and was threatened hey you never seen anything

Knew guy that was a rugby player for warriors and knew Lennon was very surprised he got second stint because of his previous and kid style ….

Also tonight at hydro out of all the guests thommo seemed to be only on be with bevvy at n pics oneils seemed merry and had few wines … according to Sutton for a laugh but he was pictured with water thommo seemed not one with swally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk