1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Adam Montgomery

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Feb 27, 2021.

Discuss Adam Montgomery in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    A good move for Montgomery and one that makes sense. Will be interesting to see how he does with them. Definitely a player who I think still has a chance at Celtic down the line.

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Good luck to him but he's no good enough and never will be..

Valhalla likes this.
  3. shaunm

Hopefully he does well and comes back a better player,wouldn’t write him off just yet,after seeing the transformation in Ralston.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  4. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Wish him all the best, cant say I'm sure about him but maybe more to come.

Hope the same with big Welsh, would liked him to have made Udinese loan, woulda been a good move for both him and us.

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:

Made Lundstram absolutely * out of that challenge..

Played them quite well. Forced Tavernier to * a pass that led to the first as well straight after and was right in about them all game..

6. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Didn't think he was only 20. Hope he can kick on and have a really good season

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic loanee Adam Montgomery has been praised by St Johnstone boss Callum Davidson ahead of his deal at the Saints getting ready to expire.

The left-back joined the club during the summer, with the agreement only meant to last until January.

However, Davidson has been happy with the Scotland under-21 international's progress and is keen to keep him for the remainder of the season.

When asked if the Perth club would be looking to extend the youngster's deal at McDiarmid Park, he said: "Adam has performed well, I think he’s gotten better and better. We’ve seen that in training, he’s really improved.

"We need to assess everything, see where we are with each player and make a decision after that.

“And obviously speak to Celtic because it might be a ‘no’ anyway. But I’m really pleased with how Adam has performed.

“Celtic have been happy and just let us get on with it, really. He’s played games. We’d have had more phone calls if he hadn’t been playing

Montgomery has featured 16 times for St Johnstone this season, providing three assists and scoring once.

He did receive quite a lot of minutes at the start of Ange Postecoglou's reign in charge of the club, including featuring away to Real Betis in the Europa League.

After Greg Taylor returned from injury though his game time became limited.

This led to him spending the second half of last season at Aberdeen, where once again he did not play much after the manager who brought him in, Stephen Glass, was sacked.

His current loan spell has been much more fruitful and Davidson has maintained he is keen to keep the 20-year-old on the books at McDiarmid Park.

"He’s managed to pick himself for the team because of his performances, it’s not me playing him because he’s a Celtic player," he continued.

“His attitude in training and around the place has been first class. The young man has got a big future, hopefully he’ll go far.

“There’s obviously a conversation we’ll need to have. We haven’t spoken to them [Celtic] before the game this week."

NomDePlum likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic defender Adam Montgomery will return to St Johnstone for the rest of the season

The wing-back’s short-term spell with Saints came to an end at the start of this month and he has been training with his parent club this week.

Ange Postecoglou confirmed that the Hoops would be happy for him to complete the 2022/23 campaign at McDiarmid Park after he became a first team regular under Callum Davidson.

And Courier Sport understands a deal has been now agreed for that to happen.

It should mean Montgomery will be available for selection for Saints’ clash with Livingston on Saturday

RabS likes this.
  11. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Gid, better to be out playing than here in reserve

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Crilly likes this.
  13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Seems to be doing well there, even if he gets no more chances here I'm always glad to see guys from our academy doing well.

The_Bhoy, NomDePlum and Crilly like this.
  14. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    The guy deserves a decent chance to hopefully make an impression for lb over the summer

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

15. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    It's easy to forget how young he is, still only 20 and had now had a full season of football under his belt.

With the homegrown quota in mind, I wouldn't be against loaning him out for 6 months, then see how he is once he's back.

16. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo

Forget the fact he's a celtic player and look at him as a 20 year old kid playing at St Johnston. Now imagine we were linked with a move for him. Would you be happy?

For me he's not stood out at St Johnstone. I don't watch them nor did I watch motherwell but everyone knew Turnbull was a standout before we signed him, * even Siegrest was a standout at dundee utd.
    St Johnstone seems to be his level

17. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He stood out for me in the first pre-season with Ange, when he got thrown in as we had so little options. Had a couple of really good cameos, and then seemed to, unsurprisingly, feel the pressure a bit as we moved into the season proper. But that was in a team that was being rebuilt from the ground up. I think he has a bit of character.

We sometimes forget we mostly play against other Scottish teams and a player that has done that already can be a really good option as a backup.

If Bernabei can't show a lot more between now and end of the season having Montgomery back for the preseason and seeing how he fares is a no brainer for me.

Mickmac likes this.
  18. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    If he's happy to br back up full back or winger (he did play it a few times) even third choice his homegrown status makes it worth it. For me.
    He is young and has a lot of room for improvement, could we get him a loan to hibs or Aberdeen next season. Be a step up. He showed promise for me last season, working hard in a barebones squad. If people are willing to give a mid twenties Johnston his umpteenth chance I don't see why Montgomery doesn't get at least one more.

HTG and The_Bhoy like this.
  19. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Appreciate what you are saying but name me the last Celtic player to get nominated for young player of the year while out on loan? You could have taken most of what you said and applied it to ralston who had a much poorer showing with st Johnstone.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Mickmac likes this.
  20. celtic warrior

Was Christie ever nominated whilst at Aberdeen?

Dublin Celt likes this.