1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Accusations of Racism at Celtic V Livingston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Oct 31, 2021.

Discuss Accusations of Racism at Celtic V Livingston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. joemc

Let's for talking sake, say you are at a football match and someone misheard something you said and pointed it out to a steward , and this so called journalist is within earshot of the steward hears a reference to a racial slur and points in your direction , this clown then follows up with a tweet to create click bait for a following headline to generate sales ,you would obviously be ok with that as any possible racist behaviour should be called out ,your all over the news ,but that's ok right , doesn't matter if there is no evidence, cause as far as he is concerned someone heard u say something not very nice .

2. joemc

And for the record I would be exactly the same if this was a hun , why ? Because I believe its not right to make accusations without proper foundation, things like this can be damaging and cauz serious repercussions for an innocent person .

Sydneysider and MagicBallBhoy like this.
  3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    There’s only so many times I can say the same thing - nobody has been directly accused of racism based solely on the word of someone else. Someone believes they have heard someone racially abuse a player, and has correctly highlighted that issue.

It’s a complete strawman to draw a comparison to someone directly accusing a specific individual of racism, by way of a third party, which is what your hypothetical situation is an example of.

I’m done with it frankly. You’re very clearly from the opinion that the clubs reputation must be protected at all costs. Ironically, pretty much everything you’ve said in this thread and the abuse thread would be exactly what people would pick up on if they wanted to damage the image of the club.

Jmac402 likes this.
  4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Christ man :giggle1:

There is no innocent person that has even been accused of anything to be ‘damaged’ ffs

5. joemc

6. joemc

I notice on many occasions you mention (the )clubs reputation, if this was me writing the same it would be (our) clubs reputation, maybe your trying to hard to look for something that isn't here , I suggest you visit your friends at r m, they will give you a book load to post on .

7. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Would folk of Irish decent on here tell their grandmothers and grandfathers to ‘prove’ they couldn’t get certain jobs back in the day in Scotland/UK? And if they didn’t prove it, then it didn’t happen?

Go on..

King of Kings and Marie like this.
  8. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Uh oh, looks like you're racist against Irish people. Hand in your Brooney dvd and your hoopy the Huddle Hound pyjamas, you're no longer welcome at Celtic Park.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  9. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I’m sorry, but I find your stance on this quite illogical and a tad hypocritical. You said life is life and bad things happen and no one finds out about it, yet here we have a guy highlighting a bad thing happening — a clearly audible racist slur — so people CAN find out about it and possibly do something about it to make sure there isn’t a recurrence of it, yet you want to investigate this guy to make sure he is telling the truth and doesn’t have an agenda? Your argument doesn’t make sense to me. How can racism and bigotry be eradicated if you refuse to hear or believe the journalist’s side of the story, instead immediately countering his claims with allegations of a hidden agenda or slander based on your own hunch? You can’t have it both ways. You’ve turned the journalist’s story on its head, without even watching his videos or hearing his side of the story, and are presuming he is lying or has an agenda and want him done with slander. I’ve nothing against you at all, and nor am I trying to be a smartass, but your reasoning is deeply flawed on this matter, imo. There seems to be narrow-mindedness and denial here.

King of Kings likes this.
  10. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Erm... no? Because there is documented evidence of that historical racism?

What we have here is a 6 almost 7 page discussion on one persons word about something they heard one person say (unless I’ve missed something?)

If this gets proved then the person should and will be banned and rightly so.

Until then I’m not sure what the discussion is?

Sydneysider likes this.
  11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Oh for * sake :giggle1:

The monastery life is looking very appealing these days.

12. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    This thread is really * disappointing.

The majority of racism, particularly institutional racism, these days is actually covert rather than calling someone a name or wearing a white hood etc. It’s unconscious bias, it’s employment discrimination, it’s police discrimination. Most of that is hard to prove so are you telling me this type of racism doesn’t exist then cause it can’t be proved?

It just shows how far we have to go with this *.

I know for a fact you could fit a cigarette paper between some portion of Celtic fans and some portion of Huns cause I’ve seen it first hand.

13. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    There were plenty of employers who didn’t hold up a ‘No Blacks, no dogs, no Irish sign’ who didn’t employ people with Irish names. You’ll have a hard time proving those individual cases though.

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

There is no one more anti racist than me I can assure you of that. You still need to be able to prove things though.

Where do we go when we can just accuse someone of something and it’s automatic guilt?

I’m sorry, I’m all for eradicating racism but I’m also a big advocate of innocent until proven guilty.

Put it this way, if Celtic fans were marching through the city centre singing anti Protestant songs and we had videos, audio etc to back it up there wouldn’t be a person on here defending it.

15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I lost plenty of job opportunities due to what school I went to. I couldn’t do anything about it because I had no proof and no one to back up what I knew to be true.

Right or wrong that is how it works.

That was the 90s by the way.

We can’t just go throwing around accusations and expect them to be believed just because we say so. There has to be undeniable proof or we just have people accusing each other and lives ruined jobs lost etc on one persons say so.

How would you feel if you were peeling a citrus fruit and some juice squirted into your eye and caused you to say, “* orange! * ye!” Someone overheard and accused you of sectarianism? Might not be illegal but if that * sticks you might lose your job or something.

We must be very careful with accusations, it must be definitive and it must be provable.

Slaw likes this.
  16. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Where is the video of the journalist’s that was posted on this thread by forum member ‘Notorious’ yesterday? Has it been removed for legal reasons? Maybe that’s why there is so much confusion on this thread — maybe people in this thread haven’t seen it? I watched it and you could clearly hear one of our supporters shouting, “You f****** m*****!” There was no doubt it was shouted. It was clearly audible. Unequivocal. And, no, it wasn’t doctored or manipulated to stitch someone up.

17. joemc

Why don't you show me the clear audible evidence, if it's the tweet don't waste your time if u have something and clearly you must cauz you are at pains to defend the accusation repeatedly, when I'm looking only for something that has foundation enough for someone to point the finger at our club .

18. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Here’s another take. What if this first time visitor to Celtic Park from overseas heard someone shout something like “ya * * ye!”

How much does that sound like monkey to an ear not familiar with Glasgow slang?

I don’t think there is anything wrong with being careful in accusing someone of something unless there is definitive proof. * like this can ruin lives.

19. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    As I said upthread, Notorious posted a video of the incident yesterday (don’t know if it was the same twitter video you are talking about) and the racist slur was clearly audible. I can’t find the video anywhere now. I would doubt very much if the video had been doctored to try and illegaly paint our support in a bad light. Sadly, it was very real. Also, as I mentioned previously, I witnessed racism first hand at Celtic park by one young guy in his mid-twenties (and, yes, he looked and sounded like an idiot; an instance where you could judge a book by its cover).

We are generally a tolerant club, but unfortunately there is a small minority of our fans who continue to let the club down.

20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I have to ask. This sentence seems to imply there is a group, however small, who continually let the club down.

We went from one guy maybe shouting a racist slur at the weekend, to you having first hand accounts of a racist Ned with scars who was clearly in the jail shouting racist slurs on a previous occasion. Now we have a small minority who continually let the club down.

Who are this minority and how did you get from one scarred jailbird to a minority of fans who shame us?