1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Accusations of Racism at Celtic V Livingston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Oct 31, 2021.

Discuss Accusations of Racism at Celtic V Livingston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc

I’m saying it’s ok for someone who heard someone make a racist comment to tell people he heard someone make a racist comment.

It really is that simple and incredibly disappointing to see so many people find that a point of contention.

Tim-Time 1888 and NomDePlum like this.
  2. joemc

See this is where your wrong, it maybe 1 fan if proved ,which I feel would be almost impossible, but tabloids will portray it " racist chants at parkhead during game " any racist tag will create a stigma when there is such an awareness now given the last year or 2.

3. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

This way if thinking is dangerous, he didn't just tell a couple pals he knew when at lunch, he reported it and broadcast/published it in the world wide web, can you really not understand the damage that can be done to the club or peoples reputations by gossip ? Our good name getting sullied when that mob across the city are the most vileist racist bigoted creatures about and prove it weekly, they've got to be bricking it if any of these cop26 people go to ipox lol

4. joemc

I don't think it would / should be tolerated ,I believe it would be pointed out ,but I hate when people go out thier way to find something offensive when there appears to be nothing, to paint a skewed picture of someone or something, we are all to busy trying villianise others who don't have the same views or see things differently.

5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    So you believe he shouldn’t highlight the issue of racism because it was only a single person, and instead just tell his friends?

I’ll happily stick to my belief that racism should be called out whenever and wherever possible.

Couldn’t give a * about Sevco personally. What I will say about them though, is that if the tables were turned nobody here would have an issue with said journalist - and rightly so.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Ciaran_67 likes this.
  6. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don’t really count calling a black person a ‘monkey’ as people “going out of their way to find something offensive”, but each to their own I guess.

This isn’t a case of someone just not sharing the same views as others or seeing things differently ffs :giggle1:

7. joemc

Is it the clip posted on here ?if so I would love to see everyone's opinion regarding it ,cause I sure as * can't hear anything I could be certain was in any way racist .

8. Onefootwonder

What's really wrong is your excuses.

You're so worried about the racist tag that you'll do everything to dismiss the possibility with no basis for your opinion. That's why victims are scared to speak out when people refuse to believe them. It's not just refusing to believe the accusation, it's the attacking of the journalist. It's terrible behaviour and it's been pointed out to you a number of times now.

If you're concerned about the image people have about our support then you need to stop posting what you are. The story is going to be about fans like you defending racism and that's much worse.

Ciaran_67 and King of Kings like this.
  9. joemc

I'm speaking in broader terms ,and going out thier way is exactly wot I feel they are doing , there is nothing remotely conclusive in wots been shared ,I could understand if there was no doubt but there is only doubt.

10. joemc

M8 you can * right off ,I'm part Jamaican, I have this in my family and I won't stand by wen accusations (unfounded) are made in a malicious way regarding our fans , it has to be cast iron , image of the person or persons and audible without doubt, you don't get away with painting a picture of people with no evidence to bak it up , and it's * like this that makes my * blood boil , we just accept this and do nothing , it must be true ,* off .

11. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

My point is there is no evidence and if people are latching onto it to try and make a story out of it, that is by design to lob us in with the other *.

MagicBallBhoy and joemc like this.
  12. Onefootwonder

The journalist has given his account of what he heard. You keep demanding evidence. Then you keep making wild accusations with no proof, but don't see the double standards.

If I walk down the street can I racially abuse someone? The person I've abused won't have cast iron proof and it'll be purely their word against mine. If the person I've abused knows there is no cast iron evidence should they accept it and shut up?

Should I get my mates to throw mud at the guy just to make sure nobody believes him?

Marie and King of Kings like this.
  13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    What you’re effectively saying is that a foreign journalist who heard a fan racially abusing a player should just keep quiet about it, simply because they didn’t have sufficient evidence to confirm exactly who said it. Have to say, I find that view pretty disgusting, and it’s a big part of the reason why racism persists.

Honestly this thread is pretty eye opening to me, because I genuinely didn’t think we had a support base who would do target the person who has highlighted this issue simply because it might damage the ‘image’ of the fans.

Ciaran_67 and Onefootwonder like this.
  14. Foley1888

Nothing wrong with flagging that a racist comment was made but it should have been to police and stewards pointing out who it was at the time before going on to report it more broadly. Fair enough if it got reported and nothing is done about it.

Not trying to defend the person as if it can be proven (which would be very difficult unless others around that person are willing to speak up) then they deserve to be charged and banned from the ground as it is completely against what the club stand for. Unfortunately every club has idiots that support them.

Too often though in Scotland and the media and particular they take a serious issue and try turn it into a point scoring exercise which is also wrong.

15. joemc

M8 I'm not the only one making wild accusations, no person should be allowed to try to (without clear evidence) paint a damming picture of others and think it's ok to do so , life is life bad things happen every day in life and no one finds out , thats why I look at things like this with major suspicion, ,I would like to see slander become a big thing in situations like this , and if this can't be proven, the person responsible for the accusation should be made to pay .

Slaw likes this.
  16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    There’s supposedly a clip. Someone on this thread has suggested the audio is very clear in it.

You don’t require evidence to state that something happened if you yourself have heard/seen the event.

The individual who has made the accusation has not singled out any one person, but has instead simply stated that they heard racist abuse. Failing to speak up and highlight said abuse, over some warped desire to protect our ‘image’ would be disgusting, imo.

17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I would say this thread is far more demonstrative of it being turned into a point scoring exercise than anything I’ve seen in the press.

I know I’ve mentioned it already, but if it was an issue highlighted at a Sevco game, the same people would be praising the journalist for highlighting it on a public forum, and suggesting the media were downplaying what went on. It’s absolutely point scoring as far as I’m concerned.

18. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

So accusation of racism is infact racism these days, man FFS.

Your a racist, * why cause i said so, yeah you got me

joemc likes this.
  19. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

That’s not what I’m doing. I abhor racist abuse and would gladly see them * out of the club for good Celtic fan or not. I heard one clip and didn’t hear anything myself.

joemc likes this.
  20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Neds aren’t automatically racist. Also a scar does not immediately conjure up images of a jailbird either. People with scars have taken a “second prize” to quote the colloquial term. Many people get slashed even though they are innocent.

His racism is beyond the pale but you yourself have made an assumption based on his appearance.

Garrymac1888 likes this.