1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Accusations of Racism at Celtic V Livingston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Oct 31, 2021.

Discuss Accusations of Racism at Celtic V Livingston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. reillers88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'm from Clare and it's regularly used here. It's generally used to describe someone who is lacking in intelligence etc etc and has no racist connotations whatsoever . Be that as it may, its probably clutching to suggest that this was the context of what was said.

2. joemc

Your completely missing my point , I know we have morons too m8 ,I've witnessed 2 fans spit on a rangers girl on a bus and felt disgusted they wore our colours , but I know we have fans who are idiots , my point is the clip is not worth the thread we have here , it's never gonna prove anything, it would not even reach a court if was used in that way , the effort shown to try to prove this from this clip proves to me its someone with an agenda unless there is better proof that's not in the tweet .

3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    What clip are you referring to?

Some of the replies here are not far removed from what I would expect to see from Sevco, if the situation was reversed. The journalist was absolutely correct to highlight racism publicly if he heard it (and the notion that he made it up is frankly ridiculous).

There’s an element of racism in pretty much every support base on the planet, and ours is no exception, even if there is less of it. It doesn’t do anyone any good to get defensive about it or attack the individual that has highlighted it.

Bob Loblaw and Onefootwonder like this.
  4. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

5. joemc

U are assuming quite a lot here , there is no concrete evidence that anything happened , if we are using the tweet clip, based on that this is a nothing story that c#nts want to respond to because they want to be righteous , enjoy the feeling for wot its worth ,until there is something concrete I will reserve judgement.

6. joemc

I'm referring to the 1 in the thread that tells u nothing , unless there is another I have not seen , I tend to need concrete evidence before condemning someone, or a whole entire support ,which seems to be the mantra portrayed .

7. joemc

The replies are completely justified based on wot we are are seeing is evidence.

8. Onefootwonder

Who is portraying the entire support as racists?

All the articles I've read say that it's one person. The terrible tabloids even contain the quotes from Bartley how good everything was otherwise.

What's causing you to overreact so much and become this defensive?

King of Kings likes this.
  9. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Your own response suggests that this isn’t even thread worthy. A globally recognised journalist highlighting racist abuse from within Celtic Park certainly qualifies as threadworthy to me, and no amount of whataboutery changes that. The integrity of the person who has highlighted this shouldn’t be called into question simply because you don’t like what he’s said - I guarantee some of the people doing that would be backing up his credentials if he had made this claim at Ibrox.

I seem to recall that you were “suspicious” of posters suggesting that the club should “do the right thing” with regards to the abuse scandal, so I may well be wasting my time here…..but what exactly are you even annoyed about?

Someone in a high profile position has rightfully highlighted what they believe to have been racist abuse directed at a Livingston player. Would you prefer they didn’t?

The club have then communicated with Livingston, and will presumably be investigating what happened, gathering evidence etc. Would you prefer they didn’t?

At no point has anyone suggested this is some sort of rampant issue amongst Celtic fans - would you prefer they did?

Tim-Time 1888 and Bob Loblaw like this.
  10. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I’ve watched and listened to the journalist’s clip — there is no mistaking the guy said it. It’s clearly audible. It’s direct evidence. Irrefutable proof. That being said, I think the club has a difficult task in weeding the perpetrator out, since: a) it looks like, judging from where the person was located in the stadium, it wasn’t a ST holder (probably attends games with a mate every now and then and doesn’t always sit in the same area); b) if it was a st holder, I doubt his mates, or anyone, for that matter, would be willing to grass him up; c) even if a person was brought to the police’s attention, I doubt there will be any incriminating visual evidence from the stadium’s CCTV cameras to secure a conviction in a court of law, unless the cameras get lucky (but, then again, I don’t know how many cctv cameras there are at celtic park).

Anyway, if the perpetator is identified, I don’t think it would be fair to give him a life-long ban or anything; that would be a disproportionate punishment, imo. Should be reprimanded, warned, made an example of, etc, and maybe even banned for a year or something, but not banned for life.

Finally, I think there is far too much energy and attention going into this. One supporter losing control in what was an admittedly emotional and frustrating game does not represent the entire fanbase. It’s a bit like looking at a cracking designer clothing item and focusing on a small negligible flaw in the garment rather than the rest of it. * analogy, I know, but you get the point.

Sorry if I sound like a long-winded, pretentious walloper, btw. :giggle1::yeltongue

11. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    * that.

I’m doubtful anyone will get caught, but if someone is proven to have racially abused a player I wouldn’t want them back.

12. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

so is there video evidence of this i cant find it ?

one person shouldnt be able to publicly promote print allegations of this sort without evidence

Slaw likes this.
  13. Mr. Slippyfist

Sorry bud, first chance to reply back to you.

Fair enough, I never realised until today that there were more than one video.

You say something about “conspiracy theories” - what’s the conpiracy theory? And also, seeing folk state that anyone dare to question is is “hun like” and “as bad as huns” - nonsense. Has anyone called him a * *? An orange *? Anything of the sort? No.

Could someone have called the player a monkey? Absolutely. IF it is true then of course said individual should be hunted and hounded out, that being said the tweet is what bothered me - it almost seemed like just a wee add on to his tweeting his experiences. Surely you’d imagine a man of such “esteem” would know to have alerted a steward or a polis or something along the lines?

Also, I’m fairly confident that HAD someone shouted that, there would have been other decent folk round about him who would have at the very least gave the * an earful, nothing of which was reported by this guy.

But like I say, IF there comes some of secondary evidence to this ALLEGATION (bearing in mind it’s exactly what it is, nothing concrete) then by all means hound the wee * out and make an example of them (lifetime ban and named and shamed!)

14. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

seriously ? one fan in a crowd in a stadium of 6o,000 may MAY have called a black man by a racist term wheres the corroboration ?

you like a world where at any point in time someone can smear you publicly, on tv, in papers, on facebook, twitter e.t.c. to millions, even billions of people when it gets taken up by bigger news media organizations with no proof!!!, just the word of one person

because thats the world were living in just now and its not right mate

if their was a racist thing said the guy should be dealt with by the law and by the club banned or whatever i have no problem with zero tolerance but there has to be proof

15. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    I once saw a Celtic fan refuse to eat a banana because it was brown.

Imagine being that racist.

Forza 67 and joemc like this.
  16. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

This is an absolute nothing story designed to lob us in with the other *. Where’s the evidence?

17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    And that’s exactly what’s happening.

Nobody has been punished because thus far there is insufficient evidence to punish whoever said it. How on earth would it be dealt with by the club or law if not for this journalist highlighting it, and seemingly (I haven’t seen the clip) recording it.

What we can’t do, is target the person who has highlighted what was said, simply because we don’t like that fact it’s been highlighted. That’s the bit that I can comfortably say I would expect to see on a Sevco forum. There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that he was correct to highlight it, and this idea that he should’ve kept quiet is what turns 1 racist into 100 racists.

tarboltontim likes this.
  18. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    In what way could this story possibly be ‘designed’?

This is a high profile journalist in Glasgow for COP26. It’s isn’t some bloke with an online blog or even some Scottish sports pundit eager to make a name for himself.

This is very much a tiny story for this guy - so much so that it’s not even become a story in fact. It’s a passing tweet from a journalist who is usually covering the biggest stories from around the world.

Onefootwonder likes this.
  19. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Painful reading, this.

*sighs*

20. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Our * name and reputation has been damaged by an unproved allegation FFS it's ok to do that

So what your saying is it's alright to slander a club person without evidence ? It's ok to tell the world whose guilty before you've even allowed authorities to investigate ? * off, load of *

What if he's mistaken and it's proved, that lie/mistake has already hurt the club and fans.

Ohh well sorry about that

joemc likes this.