1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Aaron Mooy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jul 19, 2022.

Discuss Aaron Mooy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Homoman

Exactly, it's called tactics. He's slowing the game down. Still looking for gaps but not taking risks. I guarantee he would be pushing the ball more forward if the game was in the balance. I've been watching him for years and he's an incredibly smart footballer

2. Kiro Kompiro

Like for example if you're 0-2 up away in Spain or 1-2 in Germany, for example.

3. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    I don't know if I'm alone in this but I'm still not entirely sold on Mooy.

Not only does he lack a bit of pace, but I thought some of his passes weren't entirely convincing.

I completely understand that it looks like his role is to definitely come on, slow the pace of the game down, and play the safe option.

Maybe it was the curse of the plastic pitch, but I thought that some of his back passes were a bit underhit, and his lack of pace could be seriously exposed against better teams if we get hit on the counter.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I feel similar, but I think given time we'll see better performances from him, once he gets more match fitness.

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's still early days. But on the whole, he's done nothing wrong or good.

He's not standing out, he's not being a bombscare.

Definition of, needs more time.

If he's gonna be the guy we bring in to see out games give a rest, slow the tempo down - then so be it. Seems decent for that as it stands.
    If he's meant to be coming in to freshen the mide up, provide fresh legs and tempo and deliver a killer pass, then he will need to impose himself more on games.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

King Kwon, PaddyJamieson and Skelleto like this.
  6. Mr Cleansheets

Give me one example of how his pace let us down against Killie.

He had a 100% successful pass rate. Precisely how were his passes unconvincing?

He played the key incisive pass leading up to the Jacko goal.

For those who didn't notice - everything went through Mooy when he came on. He had by far the most touches, didn't miss a single pass and made a couple of strong tackles.

Yes, it was only Killie and they were already beat when he came on - but Mooy has done the same against far better sides. He never loses the ball and that will be really important in bigger games coming.

The big Viduka likes this.
  7. Mr Cleansheets

He did exactly what Ange asked him to do - hold possession, close out the game, and figured in the lead up to the Jacko goal with a perfectly weighted pass almost as good as Taylor's. (Not quite - Taylor's was a peach.)

Holding possession and managing the side (like an onfield coach) is what Mooy is famous for and he's starting to do it really well for Celtic.

As I said, it was only Killie...

The big Viduka likes this.
  8. northeast67

He's an upgrade on Mccarthy, think he's still hot plenty to offer

greengrocer and Westlondonscot like this.
  9. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Somebody posted awhile back about how we performed well in certain games last season with Bitton starting or coming on, offering stats and results to support this. I agree, although I don't think the reason for it was because of Bitton's size or strength or physical presence: it had more to do with him being one of our more composed and technically capable footballers.

I don't think the Mooy signing is exclusively about seeing out games, but I do feel that his ability to help assert control over a game would have been big in Ange's thinking. There were times last season, whether it be second halves against Rangers or basically whenever McGregor wasn't on the pitch, when our ability to maintain possession and play our way out, was greatly reduced. Mooy's technical ability, movement, composure, etc. will greatly help with that. Somebody like McCarthy, on the other hand, actively made it worse, which is why the Mooy/McCarthy signings are such a bonkers comparison.

10. MAP

Underhit pass to Taylor, and another aimless pass to right back (I'll get the time if you really want it).

Not everything went through Mooy; hence my (much) earlier post above. Granted he may have been moving to make space for others to enter central midfield to pick up the ball, but I can't for a second agree everything went through him; its not the style the team plays when the backs circulate into the midfield.

To be clear, I think he is a really good buy and likely pretty rusty, with improvement to come.

aussiehoops likes this.
  11. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    I never said his pace let us down against Killie. I said that he lacks a bit of pace and that this lack of pace could be exposed by better teams.

He ended up with 100% passing accuracy and that's brilliant, but if you take a look back at his cameo, there were a couple of occasions where the player receiving the ball was put under a bit of pressure and needed to move toward the ball otherwise a Killie player would've intercepted. When Mooy comes on to play the simple passes (often backwards or sideways), the ball should do the work, not the player.

12. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Exactly what I'm referring to. Thanks MAP.

13. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

This is a lot of debate for a player we've seen about 30 minutes of football from to date :giggle1: How anybody is finding anything to critise or praise is beyond me.

14. Mr Cleansheets

Any player at any level should always be moving towards the ball (or where the ball is going).

Fact remains he had the most touches and 100% passing rate - and just because not every pass was forward and attacking doesn't mean he wasn't doing his job. Some people are just looking for reasons to doubt him.

I'd bet my left nut that Ange was delighted with his performance.

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Watched the goal again because I couldn't remember the build up.

Think even you know you're being incredibly kind to Mooy there.:giggle1: He played a bog standard 15 yard pass. That same pass was probably played a dozen times in that match.

FranceCelt likes this.
  16. PaddyJamieson

I remember someone saying a month or so ago that every single minute thing is going to be overanalysed when it comes to Mooy, and * were they right :56:

Any other player and a 15 minute cameo in a dead rubber would merit a page worth of short posts. Who knows how Mooy will do, he's just done very basic things at a decent level. Looked a bit labouring, also looked composed, good signs and bad signs, but that's it. Just need to wait and see. Folk bringing up 10 yard passes he played ffs :56: I get it some of the Aussies are desperate for him to be a success but you need to chill oot.

17. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Because some of us have watched more than 30 minutes of Mooy in the last couple of months...

AussieGreek likes this.
  18. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Holy * you really are the king of the strawman argument.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye you would think so but not always the case. Players should also always be passing the ball into a players stride but it’s a thing a lot don’t, Mooy is excellent that. Which is why I’m happy with him doing what Ange has him doing more than anything, he might be slow, but he doesn’t play the ball into players like that. Always for players to step on to the ball where they want it, he’s always in space to take a pass.

For me it looks like he’s Bitton’s replacement at the moment, but Ange trusts him more and I trust him not to be a * idiot at crucial moments.

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    …. How many minutes would you say you’ve watched of him in the last, 18 months then?