1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Aaron Hickey

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by CountyDownFaithful, Jan 19, 2020.

Discuss Aaron Hickey in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    We did. He left cos he thought he would get more first team football with Hearts which he did. Another thing which had been spoken to death about on here

Big Shoes likes this.
  2. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Not happening close thread...

paulo123 likes this.
  3. Big Shoes Tictok Gold Member

His choice not to sign for us. Shades of Christie about him I think. Move on

4. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Disagree with this as over the years we have * millions up the wall on “projects” and players who have been a flop and poorly scouted IMO. Christ, ajeti and Barkas combined have cost close to £10m. Hardly say that’s being tight.
    But yeah, it sticks in ma craw when we lose out on obvious talent for a million or two when we could easily have pushed the boat out a little more to guarantee the purchase only for the board to play billy big baws and say naw.
    The recruiting over the last 18 months has been disastrous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Him or Doig should be the question as they're both not really at our level (well, they * shouldn't be at our level) but both showed they can handle our league and are young.

There's also a chance that they both turn out to be a journeyman but I'm just assuming the paper talk is real.

Who's cheaper? That will be our answer.

We need better though - for now anyway.

6. GavCFC1

Bid rejected according to the Sun

7. joemc

Anyone else still fuking * off he rejected us last year apparently, stating it was not the right time for now , 1 year and 15 games later his price has rocketed 6x his last year fee so yeh this wee * has * us with his choices , if he was really a fan he woulda stayed and fought or came last year so * him now , we need a stronger mentality and go after the right players who want to come for the right reasons , hunger trophies , history .

Wee Baldy likes this.
  8. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don’t blame him for not coming here to be honest. He was here as a kid, knew he wouldn’t get game time so made the best choice for his career. Then moved to Bologna because again it was the best move for his career in his opinion (can’t really disagree).

He had a good half season then got injured and missed a lot. I don’t think he should want to leave to be honest, he seems to be progressing well.

And “if he really was a fan” is a load of *. Every player will do what’s best for them, why do Celtic or rangers fans play for the opposite? Because they “aren’t real fans” or because it was the best opportunity for their career?

You and I know nothing about his mentality either and I think he’s just doing what he believes is best for his career.

martin_d likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BOLOGNA have booted out Celtic’s £3.5million offer for Aaron Hickey.

Reports in Italy on Thursday claim a Hoops bid was tabled for the former Hearts left-back.

But it was rejected by the Serie A side, who only signed Hickey, 19, from the Jambos last September.

There is interest in several Bologna players but boss Sinisa Mihajlovic says only one needs to be sold to balance the books.

Hickey is also a target for Fiorentina, but Mihajlovic wants to keep him.

He said: “The club has assured me we will sell at most one player.”

Hickey, a former Celtic youth, is high on the radar of new Hoops boss Ange Postecoglou. He wants players who can fill “multiple” positions.

Versatile Hickey, who shone in Italy’s top flight last term, can play on either side of defence and is a lifelong Celts fan.

The Hoops could return with an improved offer for the teenager, who is currently recovering from a shoulder injury, ahead of the Champions League qualifier with Midtjylland in only 11 days’ time.

Tony Ralston, who has just penned a new one-year deal, is the only cover Postecoglou has on the right side of defence, while Greg Taylor and Boli Bolingoli are his options on the left.

10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Wouldn't be a celtic champions league qualification campaign if we had back line :fear:

thailandceltic and MickeyyMack like this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Bring back Eoghan O’Connel!

12. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Didn't want us to pay £3.5m for him, never mind more than that. Time to move on.

trackebhoy and Seán Mac D like this.
  13. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    Not aimed at you individually mate. But it annoys me a bit when our fans would say i wouldnt pay 4m for a player but id pay 3m.

In the end of the day our board have been penny pinching for a long time.

Paying that bit extra for players that could improve our squad and team could have got us 10 in a row and regular champions league money. If its done right then the cost should pay for itself.

So rather than see it as black and white and that the player is too expensive.
    The thinking should be, does he improve us, does he fit into the system, has he got the right mentality

Of course cost comes into it, but as fans we debate more about the cost rather than the quality or experience or techinal ability the player can bring to the table.

Lets face it, we will only sign one left back - so whoever signs will likely be seen as our first choice left back.

So its not a question of id pay 2.5m for hickey but not any more, its more a question is can he be the left back we need at the moment to be the kings of scotland again and improve in europe.

If so get the deal done, if not walk away, but we must believe he is

Big els likes this.
  14. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Truth be told, for the money he costs, I don't want him. It's entirely realistic as fans to have an opinion on the prices we pay for players. You want the club to make the best signings for the players we have available. I've said it before but I point blank refuse to believe that Aaron Hickey is the best player we can get for £3m. So, while it is about price, it's also about the standard of the player. If someone had said to me, Rosenborg want £3.5m for Melling a couple of years ago, I absolutely would have paid it because he always impressed me.

It's all well and good saying the board have penny pinched for long enough and while that's probably true, again to a certain extent, if we are spending £3.5m on a left back, who may or may not be good enough, that takes the hit out of an overall budget the club has to purchase players.

This isn't me trying to defend the board in any way, but the idea of them penny pinching last year for example is a downright lie. We spent good money and kept all out main players. It was far from penny pinching, it was poor recruitment and poor management and poor team morale that caused that calamitous season. The board were guilty of one thing and one thing only for last season and that was failing to remove their friend from his position when it was clear he needed to be. None of us had a problem with the money we spent last summer and none of us should have.

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I understand the point you're trying to make but Ange's budget is going to be finite this summer, at a guess I'd say £10m plus a percentage of player sales - our record spend In a single window is £12.5m under MoN.

From that perspective people are looking at Hickey and thinking, 'he's got potential but he's not worth blowing a significant part of our transfer budget on'.

At £4m+ there has to be better quality that we can find out there. The huns got Barasic for half of that.

Hammy89 likes this.
  16. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    £12.5 million in one window doesn’t sound right at being the most we’ve spent.

Lennon last season bought Turnbull, Ajeti, Barkas on permanent deals and Duffy and Laxalt on loan would have had fees.

I reckon Lennon spent at least £15ish million last summer.

The season before we bought Jullien, Bolingoli, Elhamed, Connell, Frimpong and Taylor permanently and loaned in Forster, Elyounoussi and Bauer.

I reckon that would have been similar £15ish million

Neil Lennon has by far had the most money to spend on players since O’Neil. Shows even more how poor he was as a manager.

Also, was O’Neils signings that low? Wouldn’t be surprised if it was more than £12.5 million in a single window.

17. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL

18. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Have to laugh at hickey shone in serle A, got a few games at start of the season, got injured, came back in for a few more games got dropped and was basically an used sub for the remainder of the season

19. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    That’s not true.

He got Covid after starting the first 5 games or so. Then came back from that, after missing about 4 games or so, played a few, bench a few, then got a season ending injury to his shoulder.

20. david100825

More i think on this I'm not up for it. Hickey or Taylor doesn't fill me with excitement. If he's instead of Taylor then okay, but he won't be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.