1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

9/11 - Your experience

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Gioventu, Sep 9, 2021.

Discuss 9/11 - Your experience in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    I remember us all standing round the radio in the workshop for about 2 hours in total shock not believing what we were hearing and when I got home and seen the pictures on the telly it made you cry , the world changed for the worse that terrible day .

Gioventu likes this.
  2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I was at Primary school as well and remember when I went home my mum was watching it and saying what happened, then she went out somehwere and I just watched it from there. I also remember my teacher greeting the next day as she said her friends or cousins mum maybe died in it or was in the building at the time and was injured or something, never really got spoke about again for me to remember what it was that happened.

3. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Same I had never terrorists or the buildings either before, I remember someone in my school or class got into trouble for drawing them on a wall in the corridor probably with a plane going into them as it became a big deal trying to find out who done it.

Jack Torrance likes this.
  4. Wullywanbaw

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Zombie nation
    I was out on my bike heading to the shop, i saw my papa outside the bookies. He told me and i will never forget, " a plane has crashed in Spain" got home and found out was in was the Twin towers. Glued then to the news.

bigmac7288 likes this.
  5. bigmac7288

your post remind me of my sister she thought Amsterdam is in Japan.

I was off school that day ill with Covid well it was the same symptoms anyway when I had the tv on and it came on. I didn’t really know at the time what the heck was going on was thinking this can’t be real. It wasn’t until I seen the people Jumping out of the tower windows and the news went to people on the ground near the tower and you could hear there body’* the ground that sound still send shivers down my spine I couldn’t believe people would do that must have been terrifying being there. People are still suffering to this day because of it.

6. stew37

Was sitting in school and a woman from the office was going round classes, getting paperwork together and she mentioned it. Didn't really click on to what the WTC was until I got home and saw it on TV.

Not a chance in * it happened the way we've been told, but horrific and terrible loss of life regardless.

7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I was in class doing business management or whatever the subject was called when I found out. Dont even think I knew what a twin tower was so never registered until I was home and the TV was on.

On a separate time travel note, wished I could go back then and put my pocket money in bitcoin :56:

8. Sin

I had actually just moved to the Netherlands in July 2001.
    I had told my boss I would work overtime, his English wasn't good and I knew 1 or 2 words in Dutch.
    Anyway about 20 minutes in to my overtime shift I seen other people running around and talking to each other, 1 Dutch guy ran past me and basically said "No good many dead".

I called my father back in Scotland and he told me what was going on, I went straight to my boss and told him I was going home as I wanted to see what was going on and as we get BBC here in the Netherlands I would watch it in my house, he nodded a lot and I went home.

I watched it all unfold and like everyone I couldn't believe what I was watching.

Next day at work I was pulled up for leaving work when I said I would work overtime, seems my boss had no idea what I was saying .......

9. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    Was in College in NYC at the time,B.M.C.C,four blocks north

My Political Science professor told us we could come down and observe the polling stations with him(mayoral primaries were that day) but it was optional so I went out drinking and slept in

I woke up to dozens of messages on the answering machine ,some from people I hadn't spoken to in years and I answered the phone to my Ma who told me to turn on the news and I think I just about caught the second plane though my memory of the day is hazy

A firefighter I knew went into one of the buildings and he never made it out .My local was a Cop and Firefighter hangout,the last Irish bar in a neighborhood that was once solidly Irish but was now Dominican .It was an awful experience seeing how it hit them over the next few weeks

My school was closed for three weeks and one of the gyms was used as a temporary morgue

One of our school buildings ,which had just been donated and was being used for the first time that semester was left structurally unsound and had to be taken down in a controlled explosion and because of that I have had to listen to the tinfoil hat brigade tell me ever since that constitutes evidence that it was an inside job

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  10. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

Crazy story mate. What was the name of the firefighter you knew? Last time I was in New York me and the mrs went for a drink at a firefighter hangout, place was decorated in all sorts of remembrance items.

11. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    I don't like putting his name out on open forums or Facebook as I didn't know his family and its their tragedy,not mine and I don't like the thought of intruding on their grief

The bar was called Patricks,it was on Dyckman and Broadway.Its no longer there sadly as it was the last of the old school Irish bars in Inwood

Ironically a scene in Rescue Me was filmed there but it had nothing to do with 911

The_Bhoy and Gioventu like this.
  12. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

Totally understand pal.

Fear Dearg likes this.
  13. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Remember hearing on the radio at work and as soon as they anounced the first one had been hit I thought that’s not an accident. Then what only seems like seconds now, the second one was was hit . You kind of knew things had changed dramatically forever. Remember the wife phoning on the second one and nobody knew what the * was going on / happening. Watching the footage over the next few days reminded me of the absolute gut wrenching feeling that I felt when I saw the Bradford fire, absolutely unimaginable what those people went through.

14. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Got picked up from school and my aunt said "there's been a mega tragedy in New York"... Didn't realise the real extent of what had happened until in the house and put the news on.

Watched that '9/11 Life Under Attack' documentary the other night and it really took me back,the utter shock and confusion.Really horrible day that no one who witnessed it will never forget.

15. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Worked for HSBC at the time in the international payments division. I would call our team at the trade centre on a daily basis. Lines all went dead. We all watched it on TV and thankfully none of our team died and made a lucky escape.

16. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Standing in the school office talking to the deputy head and someone said a plane hit New York. They had it on BBC news 24 then seen the 2nd plane hit, like a movie disaster one at that, worlds never been right since imo

17. jj81

What is Chieftains can some one tag him ?

18. jj81

That plane never exploded a building

Defo Al qaeda ( America)

Forestbhoy66 likes this.
  19. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    I was 15 at the time, just left school and had joined college doing computing, remember hearing about it during college that day then going home and sitting in living room on my PC all night while my parents had CNN on Sky, I was part of a forum at the time which was mostly Americans and we discussed it all night. I still remember a lot of the memes at the time, this was before internet was so common.

On a lighter note we had a women in our class who was a bit of a fruit cake, next day she exclaimed "half of Americas population got killed" gave us a good chuckle.

A few years ago I re-watched the live coverage fully.

My homepage at the time was yahoo.com, i looked back and its so eerie, the snapshot of yahoo.com on the morning 2 hours before the attacks.

Yahoo! (archive.org)

Then later that day.

Yahoo! (archive.org)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  20. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Was nightshift woke up for a pish put the telly oan and wondered if I was still dreaming, went to work that night tired and totally shocked as to what had happened.