1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

9/11 - Your experience

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Gioventu, Sep 9, 2021.

Discuss 9/11 - Your experience in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

Mental we’re approaching the 20th anniversary. Everyone alive at the time who was able to conceive what was happening will remember exactly what you were doing and where you were when the horrors unfolded. Rather than discussing the conspiracies surrounding the event, I’m interested in hearing others recollection and experience of the day.

I found out from my mum driving home from primary school. Spent the rest of the night glued to the TV and remember being terrified as we were due to fly to Florida 2 weeks later and I was convinced something was going to happen to us there. Anytime I see footage of the twin towers being hit to this day I still get a chill up my spine. Been to the WTC memorial a few times visiting NYC and it’s such a * weird experience, packed with people yet it’s eerily quiet as no one is really talking. They have part of one of the planes in the exhibition and you can stand a foot away from one of the plane windows, spent a good few minutes just wondering who had been sitting on the other side and what was going through their head.

Such a * up day on so many levels.

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Went to my cousin’s after school and watched it on the news, not really sure what to make of it.

3. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Sat at my grans with my wee Sister and 2 cousins! We watched the news all day, Im sure I thought I was watching a film or something, didnt really strike what was actually happening

4. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

Not to be overly dramatic but that day definitely changed me, I didn't even know what a terrorist was till then. I remember being at school and the teacher kept walking out, all the teachers were in the tv room watching it happen. She then came in and explained what was happening, it was about 2pm if I remember right.

Got home about three and watched it with my sister, my mum and dad were at work, we were just like "what the * is this" was really shocking watching the buildings collapsing and so on, was such a weird day. Funnily enough I went swimming that night and little 10 year old me was worried a terrorist attack might happen at the swimming :lol:

The_Bhoy and Gioventu like this.
  5. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

Me and my dad went to the Dundee away game a few days later and I was convinced something was happening there too. I was 11 at the time.

Jack Torrance likes this.
  6. Conlon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Past - Henrik .... Present - Who knows
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing... among others
    Only found out as we got on the school bus on the way home, I remember somebody saying America was being attacked and we'd all be going to war soon.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

7. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    I was at uni at the time when word started to spread. Watched the towers collapse on a big tv in a pub in Glasgow. Everybody was just watching on in total shock.
    I remember being even more shocked when they managed to find Mohamed Atta’s intact passport in among all that debris but that’s another story :fear:
    One of these incidents that you’ll never forget.

8. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Remember coming home from school and just as I walked into the living room I saw the first tower collapse live on TV. Horrifying.

9. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I was 10 and in my granny’s when it came on, think I got sent home fae school early that day for fighting with somebody :giggle1:

* up, weird day.

10. Forza 67

I was still in primary but remember coming back from school that day quite vividly. It was an attack on the people as was covid.

11. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    I lived not far from where I worked so most days went home for lunch and some peace and quiet . I already heard on the radio at work about the first plane hitting the tower but news channels were speculating it was an accident so apart from a tragedy for the people involved nothing terror related . Made a sandwich and a cold drink and sat in front of the tv watching the live pictures , about 2 minutes later the second crashed in , and sitting there sandwich at the open mouth .....
    * !!!!!!!!!!!!! was no accident now !! . Didn't go back to work and seeing the collapses was mind numbing .

12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Didn’t actually find out until later that night as I was decorating upstairs all day and listening to CDs so had no idea of the horrors unfolding. Once I found out I practically sat in front of a telly for about a week just completely stunned at what I was watching.

seanm likes this.
  13. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

My mates Mum used to look after me after school, I just remember us getting to the house and watching it on the news there. I don’t even remember what stage it was at but it must of been about 3pm so the towers started collapsing.

My mate had family in New York so I just remember them trying to phone them.

* mental. Watching that new Netflix series just brings it all back, it’s like something out of a movie. You don’t realise the scale of it when you’re 10.

14. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Actually remember seeing the first reports coming through and like most, I thought it was a movie clip. The shop I worked in had about 20 TV’s on display and it was on every screen which felt a bit weird in itself. All the workers from other shops and customers were just standing for hours watching it. Saw the second one hit live. I’ve since visited the site and going over on the Staton Island ferry it was weird to look back at the skyline where they were missing.

seanm likes this.
  15. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I was working at the time and was doing a home visit when I saw it. I genuinely thought that the person I was seeing had a film on her tv and I actually didn't pay too much attention to it however, her husband then told me that they thought it was a terrorist attack. It was all so unreal and, like the day Kennedy was assassinated, it will be something I will always remember where I was at that time and how freaked out I was.

16. Yoshi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Andreas Thom
    Sure I was in PE in 3rd Year when I found out. Was allowed to take day off school the following day to travel to Celtic v Rosenberg in the Champions league, alas that never happened as it got cancelled

17. Mr. Slippyfist

I was suspended from school that day for fighting the day before :56::56::56:

That being said, I was enjoying a nice day off, playing Champ Manager and watching "crossroads" on ITV in my bedroom (back in the days when you only had 5 channels to choose from on normal telly), anyhoo, I remember the screen going black for a few seconds, then the program switched over to some breaking news guy on ITV who then took you to the scenes in NY - at first, it was "reported" that a plane had hit the first tower, sugestions that it might have been a small private plane etc. The building had smoke billowing out of it, and the voices of the reporters wondering what happened.

I'm not quite sure of the timeline but I was sat watching it with interest when all of a sudden, you saw another * plane flying into the other building. Wow! What the * was going on! Reporters quickly changing their stance to this being "deliberate" actions!

I genuinely sat glued to the telly till about 11 oclock that night without moving. Incredible scenes that felt like something from a movie.

I'll never forget that, especially since a planned family trip to Florida got cancelled soon after because of the attacks.

packybhoy likes this.
  18. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    the day before I watched some b-movie disaster thing on one of the crap cable channels, next day was working a night shift and came home in the afternoon and the 1st thing I done was put the telly on and walked into the kitchen to make a cup of tea, and once or twice I glanced at the telly and seen the carnage with the 1st hit on one of the buildings, so I said to myself, I watched this * film last night. I then sat down and without even thinking switched channels and it was lorraine Kelly that was on and she was talking about what had just happened. I then dawned on me what was happening. and I will always remember the point of the second hit, Lorraine Kelly was facing the camera with a live television feed behind her, and she was talking about how much a tragic accident this was when unbeknown to her the second plane hit the 2nd tower. she only realised what had happened because of the cries and gasps of the cameramen and staff. when she turned around you could see the blood drain out of her face.
    still to this day guts me when I remember that morning

seanm likes this.
  19. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I didn't even know what the world trade centre was before that day.

It came on the radio and I didn't get the full magnitude until I got home and watched telly.

A horrendously sad day for all those that died, and additionally for the hundreds of thousands that have died on the back of it by so called "civilised democracies".

packybhoy likes this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Strathclyde Uni Open Day, sacked it off and went for a Pizza Hut all you can eat buffet. Bus up the road, switched the telly on and seen the smoke bellowing out one of the Towers then my maw burst in showing me pictures of her NYPD cousin taking selfie’s with it in the background - obviously unaware of the enormity of it.

It felt like a nightmare from the point of the first plane hitting, even from across the pond. Complete fear and uncertainty at what was unfolding.

packybhoy likes this.