1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

2nd or 3rd in CL group?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by AwesomeCaz, Jul 6, 2012.

Discuss 2nd or 3rd in CL group? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Right, I know some posters will not appreciate the optimism of this thread, but * it I don't care :icon_mrgreen:
    Let's ASSUME we qualify for the CL with absolutely no problems whatsoever, winning each qualification game 7-0.

So, here we are in the Champions League again - but where do we want to finish?
    For the purposes of this thread i'm going to rule out coming bottom or top, we don't want to come last and coming 1st is incredibly unlikely given we will no doubt have the hardest group of all.

2nd - more prestige, more money and a chance to see how far we can go against the very best, but ultimately we will surely go out relatively quickly.
    3rd - lose out on CL money, but still in Europe and with a much greater chance of getting to a semi final or further.

What would you guys rather have?

2. TicFan88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    1st. :50: :52:

In all seriousness, it depends what group we get drawn in.

Would probably prefer 3rd, primarily because realistically we could get further in the Europa League, and it'll give us more European games it what could be a season with few 'big games' as such.

:50:

3. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Have you ever heard the expression 'counting chickens'? :rolleyes:

Let's get past the qualifiers first, see who we are lined up against, look to improve our away form in Europe - we are taking steps towards this, by earning a few draws, but an away win is something else - and make Paradise as much of a fortress as possible.

If all this is done, when we get there then start considering how far we can go.

4. HectorTheTaxman Formerly The Spider

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'd rather finish 2nd and have at least 2 more games in the Champions League, big money earners on the big stage.

If we finished 3rd we could do decent in the Europa League but realistically we wouldn't get to the semis of the tournament as it has some good teams in it

5. kris_bhoy_1916

2nd by a country mile.

6. Smileyy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    2nd obviously. We'd probably get more money getting to the last 16 of the CL than we would if we won the Europa.

7. LucasBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Second, easy.

8. rory_90

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    2nd. I can see the merit in finishing 3rd, and certainly won't be overly disappointed if that's where we finish. However, you play in Europe to play against the big sides on the big stage, so progressing to the last 16 is always preferable in that aspect.

To be honest, looking at the standard in the Europa League last season I think we'd find it incredibly difficult to even make it as far as the quarters anyway.

9. Rosleabhoy

i'd be happy just to get into the groups....if we finish 4th then so be it.

10. Silenzio

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Same here.

11. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    See i'm really not sure what i'd prefer, we'd get so much money for coming 2nd but i'd really love a long run in Europe and even though it's unlikely, it's far more possible in the Europa.

And btw yes i'd be happy just to qualify but when we're there if we do make it, why not make a go of it?

Despite what the media, the huns and the more pessimistic tims will tell you, we won't just be there to make up the numbers and i'm positive Lenny will want the players to really try and qualify from the group.

12. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

2nd or 3rd? Do you realise how strange that question is ? :56:
    2nd by a country mile.

13. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    lol obviously but most people are dreaming of 2nd = semi final or more in the CL
    What i'm really asking is what would you prefer: last 16 or a semi in the Europa?
    Because I think that is quite a difficult question, if it's just between a last 16 or an actual final then obviously everyone will go for the final.

People say they will be happy with just the last 16, and no doubt it would be a great achievement, but deep down if we make that stage then we will really want to go further.

So more money, or a longer run in Europe?

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    If we end up with Real Madrid, Juventus and Man City in our Group we'd be lucky to get 1 point never mind 2nd or 3rd.

15. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    2nd definitely.

16. Cathairbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joe Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Its like wanting to be relegated to have a better shot at winning the league IMO. In any sport, you want to test yourself against the best. Being in amongst the top 16 teams in Europe is amazing, I'd prefer it hands down. Not to mention the finance involved.

17. Highland_Bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever Henrik Larsson, now Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    2nd. Definitely. Lets get past Qualifiers first please.

18. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    1st.

whats the point of entering a comp if you don't believe you can win it .?????

19. Rude Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    2nd at least.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> We have nothing to worry about domestically, so we can give everything in Europe without having to worry about our league campaign.

3rd wouldn’t be a disaster. We are still probably only Europa League standard.

20. Sween

2nd!

I cant believe anyone would want to finish 3rd! Even 2 extra games in the champions legaue is far more of an achievement than a run in the europa cup.