1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

2015 General Election Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Ledleysleftfoot, Feb 21, 2014.

Discuss 2015 General Election Discussion Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. gunt

The Red Tories spreading utter lies and scaring pensioners again - how can they get away with this

[​IMG]

2. gunt

I really like the Greens but save voting for them for the Holyroods next year. Sae message to any SSP. Only the SNP are capable of winning seats off the Lab-Con-Lib shades of Tory so a vote for any of the smaller parties just splits the progressive vote and helps the 3 WM parties. The first past he post system needs scrapped before we can dump tactical voting and the SNP are promising to push for electoral reform.

3. HectorTheTaxman Formerly The Spider

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Auld Davie in Newton Mearns will probably be minted anyway. It's just a repeat of the referendum with Labour scaremongering in a desperate attempt to minimise the slaughter coming their way. It would be rather hilarious if Murphy didn't get in

4. Heb Celt

Thinking it'll be a Tory-UKIP coalition since the SNP won't get into bed with the Tories,will be an SNP landslide in Scotland hopefully.

5. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I got to 7.30 and hadnt got to 'incredible' yet.....cut to the chase gunt, at what point does 'incredible' kick in?

6. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Ive just been looking through the 'history books', (wiki)and it appears that since 1974, whenever France has gone left, Britain has gone right, or vice versa......so, if Labour do get in, bet your house on Sarkosy getting in at the next French GE.
    Whenever one has changed, the other has also within 2 years!!!

7. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Hmm.

[​IMG]

Nicola Sturgeon’s speech in Glasgow highlights the similarities between the SNP and Ukip

Is Nicola Sturgeon trying to channel Nigel Farage? Scotland’s First Minister regaled the 3,000-strong crowd at the SNP’s spring conference today with some nuggets of policy, more demands for Ed Miliband and even a swipe at Margaret Thatcher. But she also positioned herself as part of a UK-wide movement seeking to ‘shake up’ Westminster in the name of ‘ordinary people’. You might add: the Ukip of the north.

SNP folk loathe being compared to Ukip. In fact, when I was writing this piece in a bar at the conference centre, I was berated by a group of Nats who spotted the headline and took me to task. But let’s face it: both are populist-nationalists who love to rail against the Westminster elite. Indeed, Sturgeon said she was sending a ‘message of friendship and solidarity’ to the ordinary people ‘across these islands who feel just as let down by that out of touch Westminster system’:
    ‘As long as Scotland remains part of the Westminster system, we will be your allies in seeking to shake up and reform that outdated and discredited system once and for all. Westminster needs to change. To be more responsive to the needs and demands of ordinary people, wherever they are in the UK.
    ‘So to people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, I make this promise.The SNP stands ready to work with you in making that positive change for all of us.’

Quite a departure for the SNP, who had hitherto been interested in Scotland. Sturgeon, it seems, now wants to save England from itself.
    The atmosphere in this SNP conference is similar to a Ukip conference: it feels more like the meeting of a religious movement than a party conference. As Alex Massie argued earlier, the SNP supporters have the zeal of the converted. Sturgeon and Farage receive similarly rapturous responses from their party faithful when taking the stage for the respective spring conference speeches:

But the SNP is far better at signing people up: it boasts of 3,000 attendees at this weekend’s conference — made up mostly of first-time attendees and new members — while Ukip only managed a third of this in Margate. The SNP announced today it has pass over 100,000 members, against Ukip’s 44,000. Ukip hopes to pick up half a dozen seats or so at the general election while the SNP is on course for about 40-55. But both parties have a clear nationalist message and both have decided the real enemy is the Westminster establishment. The SNP just does it better.
    Tags: election 2015, Nicola Sturgeon, Scottish independence, SNP, UK politics

8. Dáibhí

Speaking of UKIP, I've just got this book to read. Should be interesting!

[​IMG]

9. wulliebad

Well they(english rags) have tried every other fear story and the snp just gets stronger:smiley-laughing002:....now they really are scrapping the barrel.

10. wulliebad

It was a great speech but i wouldnt expect a tory lover like your self to like any of it.:icon_mrgreen:

11. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Ive come to the conclusion it probably was 'incredible', in the truest sense of the word!:bbpd:

12. wulliebad

IMO she is the most trustworthy leader of any party in the uk,its just a shame she will never be able to be pm due to our low population in Scotland.

snp are more in tune with what people want than the rest of the gravy train ridding mps from westminster that's for sure.

I love the fact it was so mind blowing gunt and yourself didn't notice its a old speech and not from the other day.:smiley-laughing002:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
  13. wulliebad

Did you mean this one...??

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd_RwlWp2Ew"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd_RwlWp2Ew[/ame]

14. HectorTheTaxman Formerly The Spider

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Labour haven't been left for about 20 years :rolleyes:

15. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    [​IMG]

16. wulliebad

17. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    I was starting to think I was the only * that noticed that :smiley-laughing002:
    tbf MGM is hardly likely to be very interested thou ..

18. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    To be honest, when the camera viewed her from behind a few times, i was more interested in weighing her up!I think i would you know, but her hair is awful, so id need to wet it or something!!!

19. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    That kind of talk is treasonous and could result in a harsh penalty.

I still would :humpani:

20. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Would she......punish me?:fear: