1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

2015-16 UEFA Champions League Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 22, 2015.

Discuss 2015-16 UEFA Champions League Qualifiers in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Why are Ye talking about the United game ? :smiley-laughing002:

2. Seosamh Máirtín

Carrick, what a *. State of him for that own goal! :56:

3. terrasidius Sonic Attack Orchestrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Lambo, Larsson, Sutton, Nakamura, Rogic, Virgil, Dembele, Turnbull, Jota & Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    COYBIG, Grace, Celtic Symphony, Orchestrated Sonic Attack
    If we were playing Brugge we'd pump them rotten; how do yous think they'd do against Malmo?
    Even more optimistic for the mora noo!

4. Sonny7

We wouldn't pump them rotten in our current form. There season just started as well mind so there no totally up to pace.

They'd beat Malmo. Be tough games but they'd go through. Same as us.

5. Keano88

5 home wins tonight.

Hopefully that trend continues.

6. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, until next week:50:

7. Spike_

Good luck tonight. But I hope you loose :icon_mrgreen:

8. Davie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bitton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Is your mums *?

9. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Rather than waiting till after next weeks game, might as well put it up now.

We really need to qualify, as it's getting increasingly more worrying what level we're finding problems, although it has been coming.

Whilst we qualified for the CL which was great and getting to Juve, we then suffered our worst ever aggregrate score, followed that up with our worst ever performance in the CL and then onto last year's fiasco, ultimately being knocked out by a Slovenian team.

Now we're finding that we are probably not favourites to beat a team from Sweden now.

Here's hoping the bhoys get it done over there, but it's going to be hugely difficult and for me that's showing what level we're starting to find ourselves at.

I did think the draw was showing teams who for me, would have put us up against it no matter who we drew (I thought the teams Skeanbreau or something was the team to get).

Hopefully Ronny and the team will get it right and we'll get back into the group stages, and being honest we may just be making up the numbers but at least we'll be well rewarded. If not, then it maybe a case of maybe qualifying 1 out of every 3-5 years of CL.

And finally, we can't really use the 'finance' excuse as we're facing off against teams with way less finances than us, fair enough the group stages is going to show that difference, but in the qualifying stages we cannot use this as an excuse.

10. saltire78

:97: how are we not favourites? We're winning. And besides 2 lovely finishes from Berget, and a patch for about 15mins at the start of the 2nd half i thought we were in control of the whole game. I think we'll definitely score over there, so i still think we're hot favourites to go through.

11. Kerr_OConnor

Fav Celtic Player:
    was petrov but now McManus
    I actually prefer this scenario to a 2 goal cushion scenario. At least now our game plan will be to go and try and win the game. If we had a 2 goal cushion and conceded the first goal then we'd have to radically change our game plan. At least now, we have to realistically score a goal and have to consider our best attacking options. Quite frankly,you have to win away from home at this level to compete in it and if we get beat away then we just ain't good enough!

12. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    The last time we were feared to any extent in Europe was arguably the Uefa Cup 03/04. Villareal comfortably put us out in the quarters after we had rode our luck and put Barca out in the last 16. I still remember O'Neill getting interviewed after that game and he knew the writing was on the wall. He basically said that was about as far as he could take them without some more serious investment and the guy knew that wasn't gonna happen. Still remember it clearly.

We peaked in Seville, dropped back a bit the following season but were still a decent force and ever since then it's been a generally downward spiral with the occasional highlight. Just a sign of the times and climate now.

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I hope you're right, I have a horrible feeling about next Tuesday.

Pessimistic basturts CSC :shamrock:

14. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

I can't understand that you prefer this score line rather than have a 2 goal score line, all they need to do is score a goal at home and we will be chasing the game and get caught on the break.

15. Kerr_OConnor

Fav Celtic Player:
    was petrov but now McManus
    I just prefer the game plan that comes with a slender 1 goal lead. Salzburg had a 2 goal cushion and set out just to camp in and defend that lead and failed miserably. Now, that we have a 1 goal lead if we want to qualify then we just need to set out to attack Malmo and beat them on their patch with the same intensity we showed in the first 20 minutes.

16. Lavelle88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We need this * CL money and we need the glamour back at the club.

We conceded two goals that came from slack defending.

Maybe over there, we'll be more defensively minded which may play to our advantage.

It will likely be a nervy encounter but the game against Qarabag played out the same.

We're still favourites to get through in my eyes. We won for * sake.

17. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Bookies have it:

Malmo 6/4
    Celtic 1/2

To qualify

18. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    The only consolation is the that Basel are actually in a worse position that us at the moment.

19. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Why would any of us give a * about Basel?

20. KirkyBhoy1888

:smiley-laughing002: think he's just pointing out that it could be a * of a lot worse. Yes the late goal is a sickener but we have still won the game and they need to come out and win a game of football against us in order to put us out. We just need to avoid defeat.