1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

1st time at Hampden. Celtic 6-3 Hibs, 46yrs ago today.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by johnboy19, Oct 26, 2019.

Discuss 1st time at Hampden. Celtic 6-3 Hibs, 46yrs ago today. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    The League Cup Final in 1973 ended 6-3 to the Celts. What makes it special for me is that it was my first time at Hampden. Still remember it as if it was yesterday. A hat-trick for Dixie Deans, and Joe Harper got a hat-trick too that day for Hibs.

2. strike twice

I was at that game . I was taken by my late Dad . I recall ( if I'm correct ) him complaining about the match programme not having any green on the front cover . We went by train from Perth to Queen Street , then by train from Central to Mount Florida . We were in the South enclosure . Joe Harper managed to score a cup final hat-trick , but was still on the wrong side of a heavy beating . And of course , both teams were wearing their usual green and white strips too . No problem with a clash of colours .

johnboy19 likes this.
  3. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    No sure of the year but I think it was a cup final when we got beat 1-0 ( Rod Wallace.) Remember I was sat right next to the fence next to them including that Santa Claus * they have/had following them.

johnboy19 likes this.
  4. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Must have been an ultra brilliant day good friend:ynwacelti

5. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Nice memories guys.

6. leeso-ardoyne

I think my first time at Hampden was the 1990 skol cup final at 10yrs of age, lost 2-1 to the huns :( I remember the dud tickets going about and if I remember right, my da only had one ticket but I doubled up with him with it. Just now I'm getting memories of walking upto the ground with my da and his mates, very windy plus * down on the way up the hill and the cops checking tickets with my da showing the one ticket folded as if it's two up his sleeve of his jumper :giggle1:

I always thought it was 1-0 to the huns with Mark Walters getting the only goal but just checked it on YouTube and it was 2-1, Walters got the equalizer and Gough got the winner.

And again if I remember right, when came over on the hun boat. I always got sea sick, and on the way over we were on the top tier of the boat and while outside on the deck, I was sick overboard and the wind blew it all over the huns below us on the second deck. All over the *, landed in their pints etc.. hahaha. Some laughs over in Glasgow about it when we arrived. Great memories hahaha

Still haven't seen us beat the huns in a final, 5 or 6 finals against them Ive been at and weve lost everyone:nonono:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  7. strike twice

My first trip to Hampden was the 1971 League cup final . We lost 4 - 1 to Partick Thistle . If I remember correctly , we were 4 - 0 down at half time . Glad to say I've witnessed success more often than not since then .

cidermaster likes this.
  8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Mine too mate. Was the 98/99 season.

First Cup Final I seen us win was the League Cup Final the year before but it was held at Ibrox while Hampden got renovated.

9. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Who'd we beat in the cup final Sean ? I remember going to Ibrox and seeing us beating Dundee Utd in a semi ( only time I have seen us win at ibrox :fear:)

10. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Hampden Riots. George McCluskey always a legend in my heart.:ynwacelti

johnboy19 likes this.
  11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

:86:

Blinker with stunning dribble and cross to seal it.

I know the one you're thinking of though, think Viduka scored twice?

12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Scratch that @StPauli1916 it was yer man Blinker again with one, Viduka with the other.

I think Viduka may have had one chalked off for being offside. Vaguely recall he got 2 day.

Wee bit of trivia, Blinker got caught pishing in the street that night outside of Archaos :74:

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

*Changes username back*

Marty McFly likes this.
  14. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    1953 Coronation Cup final,great win,some 117,000 in the ground. Unreal atmosphere.

Cheers Marty for letting me borrow your Time Machine:50::ynwacelti

15. leeso-ardoyne

Raith rovers best us in the final at Ibrox in 94, I was at thst behind the net where mcstsy missed the last penalty kick.

The other cup final at Ibrox I was at was the year we win the double. League cup against DUTD and won the league to stop the scum doing the 10. Was at both these games. My das mates give me his ticket for the final and for the game we won the league, we snuck in with Stewart jackets. Walked me and my wee sis in the big gate as if we got lost. Straight in, no questions asked! Was a great feeling getting in that day.

16. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    What a day. I was about 8yrs of age. I remember my Dad was in the pub before the game, and I was in my grans waiting for him. I thought he'd never show up, but he did. I remember all these tall drunk guys , some falling over and me picking up the loose change that fell out their pockets. We were directly in line with Dixie Deans when his diving header from a wayward shot from Jinky hit the back of the net.

17. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Great Friend That is one of the best Posts I have ever seen on this Forum indeed anywhere:50::ynwacelti

Rydo1888* and bagforlife like this.
  18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    My first cup final or semi was at that shithole when we drew with Falkirk 97..

Don't remember much about it other than we should've won but that lanky * Kevin James scored against us (for some reason felt like he did a few time's) and lost the replay..

Never seen us lose at Hampden. Hibs actually was my first final I'm sure when we battered them under MON in 2001..

We're deffo battering them again at the weekend..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I missed that game.

I remember in the bogs at half-time guys pishing all over their crest that was painted on the bog floors :celtman2: So childish but class all the same.

Don't think I've seen us lose to Hibs at Hampden. Had a 10r on Hooper first scorer 3-0 at 50/1 for the SC Final in 2013. Collected it in the bookies beside the Tolbooth, woke up the next day with not a single penny of it left. Didn't even remember about the bet til weeks later and my pal said to me I was dishing out the drinks like Vinnie Jones in the Bacardi advert.

johnboy19 and McChiellini.. like this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye I'm sure there was seats getting broken around me that day as well :giggle1:

I honestly can't remember the last time hibs done us at Hampden whatsoever?

That sounds like a good night out bud :84:

Seán Mac D likes this.