1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

1970's Movie Rankdown

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Taz, Nov 7, 2021.

Discuss 1970's Movie Rankdown in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Misplaced my votes and then got caught up with some stuff, lol.

Star Wars was easily my no. 1, if i remember right Alien and Jaws were 2nd/3rd.

Godfather 2 is defo better tham the 1st for me by some bit, mind you i cant mind if it was even in my top 10.

Dalbeth3 likes this.
  2. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Watching a Star is Born

3. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Loving how this Rsnkdown is not fading away, as those of the past don't seem toget revisted, which is a shame, but loving that this one still is. :50:

Forestbhoy66 and bagforlife like this.
  4. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Also, you didn't submit a ranking, mate. :/

5. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Watched Star is born ,,, not as good as i remembered it ,i liked the lady ga ga one better

Taz likes this.
  6. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Yeah mean top 10, I didnt spot it till you already had your nominations in.

7. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Same. TBH, imo of the 5 versions that have been done...

2018 > 1954 > 1937 > 1976 > 1951

The BCoops/Gaga one is probably the one that resonates the most for me, even though had been aware of Gaga as a singer (tbh not really into pop music) but as an actress it really was like a star was being born, lol. Yes, it borrows from all of the versions that went before in different ways, but it brings them all together and makes it work, not to mention the chemistry between the leads is so much more than in the other versions.

The 1954 version with Judy Garland & James Mason is next, although neither were being 'born', but Garland was undoubtedly robbed that year... although well Grace Kelly was always classy, but she did much better work than in 'Country Girl'.

1937, The original - and the only non-musical of the main 4 - is next. It set the premise and while the format may've altered the formula was here, although the 'star' being born, Janet Gaynor, was already a big star, the only actor/actress to win an Oscar/nominated for three different roles in the same year and ironically just 2 years after that original ASIB, she retired from acting.

1976, Babs gets the treatment, but have never really got the appeal. Have sat through probably 6 or 7 of her movies, including Funny Girl, Hello Dolly, Yentl, Nuts, Prince of Tides, What's Up, Doc? & this version of ASIB, and for pretty much all of them once was more than enough... in fact What's Up, Doc? is the only one I've ever wanted to revisit and have sat through a couple of times. Just never really clicked. There were a few inovations on the ASIB here and that's fine but really it was only to complete the comparisons of all the ASIB that compelled me to sit through this and that was about 20 years ago, and not revisited it since, so maybe I'm being unfair but that's just me, lol.

1951, which was a made for TV version and basically just an episode length that came across it on a DVD release of the 1954 ASIB. Was ok for what it is, but yeah, pretty forgettable.

cidermaster and Dalbeth3 like this.