1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

1 in 10 Scots 'think sectarianism in football is acceptable'

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Artur Boruc #1, Sep 4, 2011.

Discuss 1 in 10 Scots 'think sectarianism in football is acceptable' in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Artur Boruc #1

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/268854-...le/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

2. AnnoniOnAnawNoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    would have been interesting to see who these 10% of people supported but in all honesty i think my gut instinct would be bang on

3. TimMalloyBhoy

That's only the 10% that admitted it too the surveryers. The number would be worryingly greater if everyone told the truth.

4. Rude Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    True.

The 10% represents the 'Vanguard Bear' – those who are unashamed of their delinquency.

They wear it like a badge of honour "I pure hate ra Fenians, ra Pakis, ra Muslims and they n*ggers and I pure dinny care who knows it”

On the other hand, there will be the most deceitful Hunnish type who will claim to abhor sectarianism publically, yet at the same time dress up their hatred as 'tradition' or 'culture'

E.g:-

"I don’t hate Fenians, I just hate the Pope and the Catholic Church 1690 WATP etc"

"I hate the * schooling system, it’s pure Apartheid, see I’m pure anti-sectarian man"

5. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Something tells me that people are a tad disappointed the figure is as low as it is!

6. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    The wind up merchant rears his head.

7. Artur Boruc #1

I'd be in the 11% who does not find sectarianism offensive at the football.

8. Belfast-hoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over

Do you thrive on opposing popular opinion to be self righteous my friend or do I detect a tad of attention seeking from you?

A controversial opinion isn't always the way forward in a debate.

It tends to get peoples backs up and often the true nature of the post is lost to aggression and frustration.

Remember the the wise words of Thumper's mummy in the Bambi film.

"If you can't say nothing nice then don't say nothing at all" :50:

9. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

That shows how big our support is compared to theirs....

:bbpd:

10. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    One tries!
    Im not being controversial, i just happen to think many Celtic supporters happily pat themselves on the back that they are whiter than white, whilst all huns are generally inbred racist bigots.....and i dont believe either of those assertions.I think people are people the world over and i dont believe that anti-Irish/Catholic hatred in Scotland exists as much as others would have us believe.To me, it is a football thing and we all nail our colours to the mast, and things like religion and ethnicity get dragged into the mire.The figure suggested is a low one, and i would have thought it was good news.....but no, the first 3 respondent's chose to look for a less than positive angle......but the reason i responded the way i did, was because i read the article and knew instinctively what the responses would be before i read them, and i was not disappointed.(although i was in fact "disappointed")

11. obonfanti1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Henrik Larsson is the King of Kings
  12. made in ireland

i'm not sure if this comment is serious or not. but in my opinion celtic supporters are right to question these figures. i'm not sure if you attend alot of games, i would assume not, bearing in mind when fans travel to places like ibrox, tynecastle, kilmarnock, motherwell, inverness etc they are subjected to sectarian comments and chanting regularly (by a fair number), i think they are entitled to be sceptical of these figures.

13. FoleyBhoy87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Izzy!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA!
    tbh i miss the songs, well being able to sing them without fear of damaging your teams reputation. i dont think theres anything wrong with 90 minute bigotry.

just my opinion though

14. Belfast-hoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    It would have served a better purpose if you just posted the above initially, instead of a some what derogatory jibe.

I recall having this debate with you before and you also stated then that the anti Irish hatred is a solely football based problem and if my memory serves me correctly, I gave you some examples through a personal experience that contradicted your claim.

I do believe that the football thing attracts the most attention through the media but there are still many cases listed that do not involve football.

I do agree with the point you made that there are those among us at Celtic park who are blind to the fact that certain elements among us are just us bad but you have to give credit where it is due to the fact that the vast majority of Celtic fans are quick to eradicate it when it rears its ugly head among our support. This same practice seem to be a rare or non event at Ibrox.:shamrock:

15. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    No, i dont go to a lot of matches you are right, but i have been to enough to know of the chants.I do think though that many fans of those smaller clubs are in fact Rangers fans that happen to live in the town and go along to cheer anyone playing Celtic.I dont really believe the actual fans of the smaller clubs are predominantly sectarian....but it only takes a couple of dozen yobs to make themselves heard!

Look, Rangers fans think we all support the IRA and are all Catholic Pope loving, British hating, Ireland supporting *, would you not agree?So their response is to hate everything we apparently love.....and vice versa!
    There are 5m living in Scotland.....maybe 150 000 go to football every week;thats about 3 % of the population, but football fans never consider there is a world outside of football.You are either for us, or against us, that is the mentality.
    Having said that, i think if you did a poll outside Ibrox, the figure would obviously be completely different, but i think the general population of Scotland should occasionally be given the benefit of the doubt!

16. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

So you approve of songs like "Up to your knees in * blood"?

These songs don't offend me at all but they shouldn't be chanted at football games or anywhere for that matter.

17. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

If the Rangers fans in the towns where these smaller clubs are based are responsible for the sectarian chanting then surely these areas have a massive rangers fan base or it proves the majority of rangers fans are sectarian. Probably the latter.

18. made in ireland

well as someone who attends a fair number of games, i know what i see and hear, and to think that figure is accurate or to criticise those who are sceptical of it is fairly naive in my opinion. if you think the celtic supporters behaviour can even be compared to that of the huns then it looks like the daily record and rest of those rags have succeeded.

19. Belfast-hoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over

I have to agree with this.

Because there is a small number of lunatics that do attend Celtic matches and do let us down, does not mean it is on a par with the problem at Ibrox although it seems to be portrayed that way through the media.

This is a blatant case of unbalanced journalism used to appease the obvious offenders. :shamrock:

20. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Yes i do agree we are more likely to try and eradicate it from CP, but in their defence i would say it is only relatively recently that their songs and chants have been brought into question, (as they were for a hundred years regarded as only "banter") and they will take more than a couple of years to understand how and why they are wrong to sing them(they are ingrained).