1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Archie Brown

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by The Thumb, May 26, 2023.

Discuss Archie Brown in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

RANGERS have placed Lausanne’s highly-rated left-back Archie Brown on a list of potential signings.

And arch-rivals Celtic have also run checks on the Englishman ahead of the summer transfer window.

A graduate of the Derby County academy, Birmingham-born Brown moved to Switzerland on a free transfer in the summer of 2021.

Turning 21 this weekend, the 6ft 3in defender has claimed five goals and five assists and has played first-team football as both a left-sided centre-back and a left full-back.

Up for grabs for a fee in excess of £2million this summer, FC Copenhagen have shown an interest along with clubs in the English Championship, Germany, Italy and Portugal.

First choice Rangers left-back Borna Barisic is poised for talks with Michael Beale over his future this summer. Entering the final 12 months of his contract, the next transfer window represents the last chance for the Ibrox club to attract a significant fee for the 30-year-old.

Similar in physical profile to Calvin Bassey, Brown is one of the options under consideration if Barisic goes.

Celtic have also compiled data on Brown. While Scotland left-back Greg Taylor has secured the position as first choice, Argentine back-up Alexandro Bernabei has yet to show that he can make an impact in Glasgow.

3. horseshoe

Any time the rags link us and them as chasing the same player I file it under pish, there's either nothing in it at all and it's agents trying to market their player using our names, or they're trying to big up a hun signing as if they're gazumped us.

James Mc and saltire78 like this.
  4. stew37

Definitely, it's so * predictable.

Ziggy likes this.
  5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Sounds the right profile for what I want at LB tbh. Wouldn't mind if there was something in it.

Foley1888 likes this.
  6. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Exactly the type of full back I want. Taylors done really well this season but he gets targeted every game even more so in Europe.

Probably be Rangers who have the interest though as Mole's probably worked with him in England.

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Can’t be signing a guy called Archie Brown in 2023. Must be an 80 year old man.

Big Shoes and Belgian_lad like this.
  8. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    I think it's a huns are interested so the media claims Celtic as well classic. He plays in the 2nd division which is probably better than the Scottish Championship but still puts it into perspectives.

Don't trink he's even better than Bernabei but will actually see him live tomorrow.
    We need a better player than Taylor though and he would be more of another project. That's why I don't think we're interested but it's about the level the huns have to get their players from

9. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Meh, he's still young but I'd hope we're targeting better than the Swiss second division.

10. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Brown would be a good fit for us. Can play both left sided centre back and left back.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Based on whit? :giggle1:

Slaw likes this.
  12. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Based on what I have just said :giggle2: We need a taller and more mobile version of Taylor, and another left sided centre back.
    And from the media reports on him, and the fact we have apparently scouted him.. It should be self explanatory.

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    You’ve said * all though. :giggle1:

14. celtic warrior

Interesting but otherwise completely pointless info...

The same season this lad goes to the club in Switzerland, is the same season the club sell Jenz to Lorient.

But back on point.

I'm not asking that any full back we sign is an assist machine and racks up double digit goal involvements.

But 5 assist in second tier Swiss league? I dunno, I guess my naive snobbery is controlling me here and I don't see what he offers other than obvious height.

Which if that is all we need than Scales would have been ahead of Taylor all day, but it isn't.

15. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    We shouldn't neglect players because they're from the second Swiss devision, but there aren't really that many talents that could improve us long term. Zeki Amdouni was at Lausanne as well and they were dumb enough to loan him out to Basel and include an option to buy for about 3m Euros as speculated. After a year he's already worth much more. He would have been a good transfer for us as well.

Nonetheless, Archie Brown is a bit of another topic. But I also have to say I only saw one game of him. He is taller and faster than Tayler, aye, but that's about it. He had three good attacking scenes and one or two defensive. But he didn't have to do much defensive agains Aarau. Running back was mostly enough :giggle1:
    He had two crosses and he can definitely run in behind. But I don't see him as an upgrade even to Bernabei whos crosses are of better quality. And he is not going to push Taylor for his position. We already have Bernabei so a more established LB who is challenging Taylor would make much more sense.

As I said in my first poste, this is probably just lazy journalism, huns are interested so just link Celtic as well to claim they outbid us. As they did with Matondo :giggle1:

16. Foley1888

Sounds like you’re describing Urhoghide, a big athlete with limited footballing ability or positional sense.

It’s actually quite mental to think Ajax paid what they did for Bassey who is better than Urhoghide but has similar attributes, a strong quick athletic player with limited footballing ability.

17. RabS Aw fuck it Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Was some chat last week that we were back in for him but he's just joined Gent.

18. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Good old Celtic Underground:56:

RabS likes this.
  19. Sgt Neppers*

That was their "Exclusive" as well...

Deleted all their tweets almost immediately such was the shame :giggle1:

Blochairnbhoy and Ziggy like this.
  20. john2061

Hate getting linked with the Same player as the zombies as we have money and they are skint and go for players that are freebies and no * wants .