1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Primera Liga 2022-23

Discussion in 'World Football' started by FCBarca, Aug 12, 2022.

Discuss Primera Liga 2022-23 in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
  4. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What a weird moment

5. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Just watched that incident with Vinicius Jr.
    He clearly points out the individual in the crowd.
    Teams should be walking off the pitch in incidents like this.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Assuming it was racial though.

Not saying it wasn't, but watching that video, there's objects being thrown first which would be my first thought of what is being called out by the players.
    The commentators went straight to racism for some reason. Rightly or wrongly I don't know.

If it was racial though, 100 % they should walk off and more done about it.
    But it's the reaction of his fellow teammates for me which makes you wonder more, they don't seem as outraged, but more trying to settle Vini.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Paul67 likes this.
  7. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Read a quote from Ancelotti, where he says he asked the ref to stop the game due to racist abuse directed at Vinicius.

8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Then both the team and certainly the refs should have done more!

I'm aware he's been on the receiving end of this before as well, absolutely not on at all from any set of fans and the players and authorities need to take a harder stance on this.

That said, and as an aside, whilst we talk about Vini, he needs to be wiser to this. Not saying he should shut up and accept it. But he's fast getting a reputation of someone who dives and play acts in games, who is (and I'm trying to obviously be careful with wording here) looking for these moments within games (which is rightly so), to then make them a spectacle of them.

I know that is poorly worded and I'm not for a moment suggesting he shuts up and accepts racial abuse, but he needs to be smarter about how he reacts to it, because opposing fans and players will eventually use it against him (to spurn a reaction that gets him sent off), which will tarnish the talent that he really is - ala Neymar.

Got to be a better way of highlighting and taking a stance to this stuff which gets him on the right track - of being seen as the superb talent he is

9. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

No excuse for racist abuse regardless of his behaviour. Spain is awful for it. Teams should walk off the pitch. Tebas and the Spanish authorities have done a horrific job of clamping down on this. It’s multiple times with one player this season alone.

I understand people saying he needs to be smarter in reacting to it, but that’s easier said that done and most of us probably are in the privileged position of never having been racially abused. He’s well within his rights to be emotional about it.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  10. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm not sure I would have sent him off either. Players make a meal of things. Things always look worse in slow motion. Both Mulgrew and Alan Thompson got sent off for identical incidents against them.

If the league had balls, they would close a stand and give them a huge fine. And if that doesn't work, deduct points.

11. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    All true - Spain has major racism issues that have LONG been ignored by the league. I also think it’s true that referees in Spain do a poor job of managing matches before they spin out of control - yesterday’s match was a case in point since it was escalating throughout where the ref could’ve grabbed control. When it descends into chaos on the pitch, off the pitch it tends to do similar

Also true is that the player has been a major douche with his antics & bating rarely sanctioned by refs or the league

12. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Barca getting humped

13. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Wrapped up the league and took the foot off the gas like us.

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It’s a completely normal thing to mentally clock out when you’re over the line. Proven tonight by Barca.

Happens every season in every league, there’s been a wee bit of an exaggerated reaction to Celtic’s with little context. I get it right enough considering the first game after getting over the line was the shitpit against the manks.

Peej, McGrory1888 and Wllm like this.
  15. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Exactly! It’s something you see constantly. Just being that 5-10% below your best makes an enormous difference in professional sport. It’s only natural.

Wllm likes this.
  16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    After seeing and reading up more about the weekends disgraceful scenes, I'd like to be a bit more in defence of Vini, his reaction to calling out the individual fan is near spot on.

At first it seems like the commentators on viewing just go straight to the racist abuse, without any evidence - and although it feels at times like commentators are keen to write their own narrative, this time they obviously got it spot on.

I'd honestly like to see the players walk off regarding this stuff, it's beyond comprehension that humans can be this abusive actually.

That said, don't get me wrong when I say he needs to be smarter and needs to not get dragged in to a similar thought as Neymar regarding his talent.
    I'm not for one moment suggesting he brings in racism (no one does), or that he needs to suck anything up or the likes.

Just that if he continues to react (wider scale here not just racial incidents like this weekend), in such a hot headed baited manner that he does, then he's going to be remembered as that player who had all the talent in the world, but was actually a *. Sympathy goes out the window.

17. Gazzi79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hart
    Didn't know Barca vs Real Madrid friendly match 10 mins later. Both full strong line ups. Bellingham's starting.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

18. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Vini jnr missed a pk, Barca 1 0 dembele

19. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Very heated game, that American cocomm, doesnt have a clue, lol.

Camavinga got booked but it was hardly even a foul and he's giving it it's a foul and a simple booking.

Then the Barca rb who looks a total play actor btw collides into the advertising board with the ball.in play still and the ref stops the play, the Real players go off their nut and he says they have to stop the play. Not realising that the guy has went back onto the park and lay down holding his head, lol.